DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I get that some people are like "Oh yeah, this is cool" or ok with the Ronda stuff, but the shooty stuff is Russo era BS that should've been left in the 90's.  Having your now top heel constantly shitting on the industry with scripted and fake doesn't help a damn thing.  Because at the end, Ronda won't be less because she'll walk and be like "Yeah, I got to fake act everything, so I didn't really lose".

• Like 6

Also - Meltzer has said on multiple occasions - that regarding the indies being shown on the Network - that part is ready to go, Vince just has to give the go ahead

They trademarked a couple of old WCW PPV's which made people including myself to speculate that they may start running house shows in the mid-atlantic/southern region under these names and air them on the Network in the same format they did Starrcade.

It's simple you could run it like this:

Feb - SuperBrawl

March - Maybe bring run a house show in Canada and bill it as Roadblock. Bring back the roadblock title and run a show in Canada every year in march.

May - Spring Stampede

June - Great American Bash 

July - Bash at the Beach

September - Fall Brawl

October - Halloween Havoc

November - Starrcade 

December - Annual MSG Show on the 26th

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I can see that. Colt is good when he gets serious or is dropping some bits of dry humor but does have a tendency to be too much. Ian's catchphrases can get a little tiresome too but outside that I just enjoy him more. I'd like to see him drop a bit of the shtick. I think some of my preference may be that I typically only watch the ROH tv so I'm getting them in one hour doses.  

I’m the same.  I actually like that Riccaboni mostly plays it straight and he does faux outrage really well (He could definitely drop the rap lyrics schtick which he seems to do mostly to pop Caprice when he’s in the booth).   I like that it feels like he’s there to do a job and doesn’t feel like he’s trying to get himself over.  I’ve actually gotten to the point where I really like Colt on commentary.  He’s into the matches, into the action and fairly funny at times.   I know it would never happen (Especially with the lawsuit and all) but I think he would slide perfectly into the SD booth in place of Graves and bring a better dynamic and set it apart from the Raw commentary.  

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I get that some people are like "Oh yeah, this is cool" or ok with the Ronda stuff, but the shooty stuff is Russo era BS that should've been left in the 90's.  Having your now top heel constantly shitting on the industry with scripted and fake doesn't help a damn thing.  Because at the end, Ronda won't be less because she'll walk and be like "Yeah, I got to fake act everything, so I didn't really lose".

That’s funny, I was just thinking with this, her Twitter feuds, And last Monday’s promo that this was starting to remind me of Goldberg-Nash-Steiner from the last year of Russo WCW where it was being talked about Goldberg going “off-script” to really hurt Nash to try to get people to order a PPV and it was so stupid that it basically was “Everything else you’re watching is fake but this is real”.   Awful awful stuff.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Agreed 100%. The thing is, we know Ronda's going to walk, but where will she go? A return to MMA is highly improbable unless she really enjoys getting her face caved in. This shooty BS is going to kill her off big-time as a wrestler. I know she's talked about taking some time to start a family and so on, but where does she really go from there? I cannot imagine any scenario that doesn't have Becky Lynch tying her into knots if she's going to leave anyway. Does anyone seriously think that VKM will okay giving her a big send off as a winner? Not bloody likely. So she has a kid and wants to come back in a couple of years... Why on earth would WWE even want her? She's demonstrated that she can't really think on her feet with a live mic in front of her, she's going to leave, likely as a loser on the biggest stage imaginable, what's the upside on bringing her back at all? She'll be nothing more or less than a washed up MMA fighter who lost the big one at Wrestlemania. Honestly, staying home and raising a family seems about the best choice she could make. I really don't see anyone in two to three years away from the action as giving a fuck one way or another about Ronda Rousey. 

WWE fans in general have pretty short memories and without a great deal of promotion, I really don't see the WWE Universe as even remembering who Ronda is in three years.

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

This 100%. I fucking hate where this feud headed. This is just the dumbest shit now. I was enjoying it when it was Becky destroying Ronda on Twitter and attacking her in the ring because that's all mostly kayfabe shittalk and in ring action. What they've done with Ronda taking this into a shooty territory is so full of cringe. The Russo comparisons are completely spot on. Worse than that, it feels like some shit an efed would have done back in 99 because everything with ECW being shooty was soooooooo kewl.

• Like 2

Yeah, when you have possibly the worst promo person in the company being given the task of being all shooty and shit, you are going so far beyond the Peter Principle (promoting to one's level of incompetence) that I really can't blame Ronda. We KNOW she's an idiot, that has been abundantly clear for a number of years, why on earth would WWE put her in this kind of spot where everything she says basically shits on the business? You know that VKM has to sign off on everything, so we can't blame Trips or Steph for this mess, it has to land squarely on VKM's shoulders. Just another sign that he should retire and screw around with his football league that's never going to take off, just anything except flogging lame 1990s Russo BS on today's audience, there's a reason viewers are down and this sort of silliness is a big part of it. 

I know that VKM has always had this fetish about signing "real" fighters and turning them into to pro wrestlers, but he ignores one of the most basic fundamentals, no one and I mean no one that comes up through the WWE machine or the indies makes it to the big show without being at least passable on the mic (unless there's a real language issue), so what does he do? He brings in people like Brock Lesnar and Ronda, both of whom were fine in their lane as professional fighters (until of course they weren't), but neither of them is particularly gifted when it comes to speaking. Brock can at least get his talking points across, though there's a damn good reason he's paired with Paul Heyman. Ronda sounded like a complete idiot when she was in MMA and she's worse now, why they would even contemplate giving her a live mic is beyond me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

This is all going to look way, way worse when Ronda decides at the last minute she wants to stick around for a few more months, and wins.

ban plz. 

?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

I'm sure it was a jab at me for having posted it, but yeah, it's tragic things aren't how they were before! Nostalgia, y'know?

Not so much, more people's laughable reactions and speculations and airing their bizarre vendettas. Between this and pokemon pictures in the photo topic you can't help but be nostalgic 

So like, how do they have a match now? Is Ronda gonna just not sell anything, or refuse to cooperate? Are Becky and Charlotte gonna still be able to perform their scripted moves? It's one thing to flirt with shooty shit but now you gotta follow this up with, you know, a scripted match.

The booking of the whole women’s angle is so screwed up.

Like, character-wise I think there is a solid analogy between Charlotte and Becky, and Okada and Naito. But execution-wise this would be like Naito holding the IWGP more often than not and beating Okada every single time and STILL having that character.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Is it Happy Hour in Australia? Just wondering...

No way Jack, it's the summer of 1978, me and Jackson Browne are running against the wind in a Chevy Kamala convertible with the roof down, sipping on a quartz of Jack, an eyeball of coke, wearing nothing but our waistcoats, daddy, our naked foreskins at the mercy of the sizzle sizzle of the sun. I was a chapter down into my first novel about alien erotica which I'd just written while getting my beekeeping license, and I stopped to think "If there was ever a guy that would buck the trends of professional wrestling and say yes to a nice coiffered mat of pubic hair gloriousness over the mantra of none makes it look all bigger, it'd be that Buddy Roberts...wait where was I going with this baby?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I disapprove of Saudi Arabia's politics as much as the next person (not employed by the WWE) but I did kind of like the Idea of The Greatest Royal Rumble last year. All the (men's) championships on the line a big 50 man Rumble. I'd like to see the May 1st show be The Greatest Royal Rumble again.

So would that be the Second Greatest Royal Rumble? Or the Even Greater than the Greatest Royal Rumble?

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

So would that be the Second Greatest Royal Rumble? Or the Even Greater than the Greatest Royal Rumble?

I'd like to see how he outdoes himself this year. Needs more overbooked stipulations to eliminate someone. All entrants are attached to a giant dog collar, the eliminatee must touch all four corners and eliminate the opponent by throwing them over the top of the cage or through the door to the table below

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Greatest Royal Rumble II, make it the Middle East Wrestlemania 

59 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

So like, how do they have a match now? Is Ronda gonna just not sell anything, or refuse to cooperate? Are Becky and Charlotte gonna still be able to perform their scripted moves? It's one thing to flirt with shooty shit but now you gotta follow this up with, you know, a scripted match.

Match is announced as no DQ, Becky comes out, gets a chair, and beats the holy hell out of Ronda and then asks "how real does this feel?!"

• Like 1