DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Christ, what a bummer that they gave up roman numerals.  IT MAKES US LOOK OLD, PAL!  The Super Bowl just hit 53 and nobody gave a shit.  Fuck's sake.

Is this on the list of things HHH will change when he takes over?  If so, how far behind #1 ("fire Kevin Dunn") is it?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Kairi's entrance had better use the cannons.

Cannons? They have a entire fucking PIRATE SHIP in the end zone.

Raymond-James-Stadium-End-Zone-Seating-9

A world where Kairi Sane doesn't make her Mania entrance swinging on a rope from that thing with her motley crew of lady pirates like "Sirens of TI" is a world I don't want to live in.

• Like 5

Guest Edwin

Not sure how many of you all plan on making the trip down here, but it would be pretty cool to have a meet up of some sorts.

Like I said before, I will most likely not be at WM, but I'll be at TakeOver if there is one then and at a ton of indy events, so I'm sure we can plan something.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

More than a year out, Elias already feels like his gimmick has run its course. 

Yeah, he certainly does. It's just the same thing over and over now and he's not exactly improving in the ring.

It sucks too because man, it felt like he came really close to putting it all together. They definitely should have pulled the trigger on a face turn sooner. Not only that, but they shouldn't have gone through with the weird heel turn out of nowhere. Maybe do less of the same shit every week too.

On March 5, 2019 at 11:21 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Mamma Mia!

Honestly, was coming to post something along these lines. I think a lot of people excuse how annoying he is because "he's one of us" but I can't stand him. I think that Ian from ROH is a much better version of Mauro. 

I will respectfully disagree. Riccaboni is super cringey to me. It's just like he has this endless list of catchphrases for every wrestler and situation and reels them off. It doesn't help that Cabana is yucking it up as the color man. I mean I know that is his gimmick but it all gets to be too much sometimes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Christ, what a bummer that they gave up roman numerals.  IT MAKES US LOOK OLD, PAL!  The Super Bowl just hit 53 and nobody gave a shit.  Fuck's sake.

Is this on the list of things HHH will change when he takes over?  If so, how far behind #1 ("fire Kevin Dunn") is it?

It's so dumb. I think the number is actually a bragging thing as in "look how many years we have been we have been doing this!". 

• Like 4

Whereas in the attitude era, they got away from the numerals to hide how long they'd been doing it. X-Seven and all that. In One thousand, nine hundred and sixty five years they're going to have a real problem deciding what to call that year's show. They've already done Wrestlemania 2000.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Whereas in the attitude era, they got away from the numerals to hide how long they'd been doing it. X-Seven and all that. In One thousand, nine hundred and sixty five years they're going to have a real problem deciding what to call that year's show. They've already done Wrestlemania 2000.

Wrestlemania MM, obviously.

Guest Edwin

From that Ronda video:

I know it's most likely a work, but given her past history of buying into own hype, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not...

The ditching of the roman numerals, for good, is only a recent occurrence (2015). Ever since then, on pretty much all merchandise related to 'Mania it's either been strictly just "WrestleMania" or it's been the actual number instead of the numerals.  They went back to the numerals from 2003 to 2004, then went with the actual numbers from 2005 to 2009, then from 2010 to 2012 they stuck with the roman numerals until 2013, went back to the numerals for WrestleMania XXX, and ever since then it's been just the number.

Even in the Attitude Era, since @AxB brought it up, they'd go back and forth between just as the event itself, with the number or with the roman numerals. The box art for 1998 has no mention of the year of what 'Mania it is numerically, it's just branded as "WrestleMania x-rated". It's the same thing in 1999, nothing but the event name and a subtitle. I see why they went with 2000 for the 16th edition, but yeah it kinda mucks up everything. 1997 is a bit different, since it was the 13th edition and they highlighted that number because of what it was (unlucky number 13) and who was in the main event (Undertaker). 1996 they went with the numerals, since it was 30 minutes away from Hollywood and they parodied the 20th Century Fox logo.

I didn't want to watch the video because I'd rather not add to the view count.  But if she said that then I can't imagine WWE will be happy about that.  Not just her saying "Fuck" but more importantly her saying wrestling's fake is a big no-no to them.   If other wrestlers get jumped on for saying stuff not at as bad then regardless of stature she deserves whatever backlash she gets.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2