MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 AM, RIPPA said:

Thanks to some WWE court filings some more dates have become known

• Blood Money 4 will 11/1
  • The WWE will doing RAW and SDL from MSG on 9/9 and 9/10
  • The first FOX show will be 10/4 from the Staples Center

Oh and knock the other shit off

That plus UK dates as well.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/wwe-touring-scheduling-2019/?fbclid=IwAR2g-INvmdC4_B7iSjEO-AT6SQUdEY_j50NlhpA1wEoysRdJdelFxZT5O0s#.XJ9iqtSLRkh

Hope the Superstar Shake Up doesn't mess up Smackdown Live because if the pattern's to go by, it's Smackdown this time round where I am.

Edited by The Natural

Man, I loved the Omega Man documentary (yeah it either glossed over or skipped entirely huge points in the storyline and basically was a streamlined version of the Showbuckle GL video with first-hand accounts and good production values) but holy fuck was it depressing to go from the super happy and optimistic ending of 'together we can change the world and do anything!' to... 

08tttu1xr3g21.jpg

And going off of what that treacherous snake Tanahashi was saying that Kota needed to be his own man, maybe this is Kota's necessary route to reach the pinnacle like what Kenny had to do in 2014/15 and perhaps only then can Ibushi and Omega reunite as true equals on the mountaintops of their respective promotions as Golden Lovers without envy (Dave cut off, shocking I know, Garrett on a recent WOR when he was talking about the documentary and the ending with the two separated and how AEW and NJPW don't have a working agreement to say that it could possibly change by the end of the year so reading between the lines it seems like the AEW guys are feeding Dave information that sounds like it could be hopeful in outlook towards a partnership *end of run on parenthetical sentence*.). Ideally we would get that big final Ibushi/Omega match that the G1 semi-final (well deciding match) seemed to set up with both guys clearly not wanting to go all out. They kept a lot of bullets in the chamber and it seemed very reserved for a match that ended with an avalanche tiger driver. IWGP champ Ibushi vs. AEW champ Omega, 60 minute draw. Finish. *dreams*

Still, the Golden Lovers storyline is the perfect example of how to keep kayfabe (gayfabe!) in 2019. Luke Harper's Twitter post is another excellent one. Blur the lines between reality and story by using real emotions when they present themselves rather than pretend they don't exist. I am so emotionally invested in what Omega and Ibushi do down the line. 

Edit: For those that live outside of Canada and didn't catch the YT link posted earlier. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Is there anybody in wrestling who was as athletic yet incredibly uncoordinated as Magee? Everything I've seen of the guy indicates that he would never, ever get it but that it should have been plainly obvious in a training ring, let alone on camera. 

• Like 1

Been to one Mania (33) and honestly it's more hassle than its worth. The stadium was seemingly right in the middle of a ghetto and the wait for cabs after the show was beyond chaotic. Further enhanced by everyone being stunned that Taker had seemingly just retired it was a very dejecting atmosphere. I'm a socially insular person most of the time and being in large crowds triggers my anxiety no end, couple this with being in what I can only describe as a map from GTA San Andreas at midnight with the crowd dispersing at a rabid rate I'm surprised I didn't have an anxiety attack. I ended up flagging down a cab and paying way above what I would consider a normal tariff fee to get back to the hotel but I didn't get shot or robbed so every cloud. Enjoyed the accompanying indie shows I went to a lot more. Casually walking to a bar at the wrestlecon supershow and being greeted by a topless Ricochet doing that weird superman pose and ZSJ in his speedos flogging t-shirts in the lobby was kinda surreal. It seemed like anywhere you turned someone of name value was hanging out. Also shared a Newport with Matt Riddle outside the venue at Progress and he was the most attentive and welcoming guy in the world, magnificent hair too.

AEW and WWE combing through the indies signing just about everyone may seem detrimental to the Mania crop of independent shows in the short term but it also gives new guys the opportunity to work in front of an international audience. With that exposure plus the spike in Fite.tv shows I don't envision the indie market collapsing any time soon, if anything it's only going to get bigger given the demand every year. Mania is certainly one to tick off the bucket list especially if you're a lifetime fan like most of us are, but it's definitely a one-and-done thing for me.

Only a Vegas Mania show could possibly tempt me out of retirement but until then I'm content watching the shows on my big capitalist television at home.

• Like 4

https://411mania.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-claims-hes-been-banned-from-wwe/

Not sure if this belongs here or in a more AEW thread. While it seems petty on Vince's part if it's true, I'm not sure what Chris expected. Tells everyone and their brother he's going to AEW because he wanted to do more and he seems surprised they said no to their guys being on Talk is Jericho. We all know he's not gone for good(because no one ever is) but I don't think there's going to be any playing nice from Vince and company for a while now

Reading that it doesn't really sound like WWE being petty so much as not giving him and AEW extra advertising by putting their guys in his show or highlighting him in videos. He and Vince still talk so it sounds more like a business decision than anything personal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Vince is apparently in 'war mode' with AEW which is funny considering Billy Gunn is getting inducted next week, of course there's the possibility Vince isn't aware who will be writing Billy's checks in the future.

Odds on Billy doing/saying something to jump start the Monday Night Wars II or do you think he'll be a tame boy?

I mean wrestling is always about the money in the future no matter how old you are and Billy must be thinking there's potentially a much bigger upside to stirring things up for AEW than playing nice so he can go back to RAW every few years in his 60s, right?

Edited by piranesi

49 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Odds on Billy doing/saying something to jump start the Monday Night Wars II or do you think he'll be a tame boy?

I mean wrestling is always about the money in the future no matter how old you are and Billy must be thinking there's potentially a much bigger upside to stirring things up for AEW than playing nice so he can go back to RAW every few years in his 60s, right?

Didn't he have a trainer job until he failed a steroid test in bodybuilding?

Powerlifting, hot Bodybuilding. He was featured in Breaking Ground, trainees started out learning the basics with Robbie Brookside, and when they graduated to advanced class Billy was teaching them.

Jericho didn't seem to have a problem right after the AEW announcement when WWE took him out of the pre-show video and moved him to the alumni page and all. And wasn't he just on Booker's podcast a few days ago?

Gee, I signed a massive contract with another company, and now you won't let me interview your wrestlers? What a maroon. 

Speaking of AEW workers from Winnipeg, Omega got pinned by Don Callis in a bar last night by in excess of 100 people (probably). There is video on Twitter for those who want to see it. 

• Like 1