DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I don’t remember if it was this thread or not, but the other day, someone was asking about wrestlers paying taxes. Cornette talked about that this week on his mailbag show. Short answer is yes, guys pay in each state they work. 

I remember when Andrew McCutchen's paystub got leaked a few years ago, one of the things that stuck out was the number of taxes he had to pay.  They charge a "Jock Tax" in Pennsylvania for pro athletes and different amounts had been taken out in each state that the Pirates played in during that pay period.  I know the pro sports league automatically take the taxes out of players' checks, but If I'm not mistaken, since wrestlers are independent contractors, their checks are always in full, and they are responsible for their own taxes.

There's two different Bash at the Beach* concepts though. There's the Arena show with a stage set that looks like a beach, and then there's the actual "We put a wrestling ring up on a public beach, come by and watch for free if you're in town" version. But one seems a bit more lucrative than the other. 

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there has to be some college in California or Florida that has a decent sized stadium with a view of the beach that you could split the difference with.  

There's two different Bash at the Beach* concepts though. There's the Arena show with a stage set that looks like a beach, and then there's the actual "We put a wrestling ring up on a public beach, come by and watch for free if you're in town" version. But one seems a bit more lucrative than the other. 

On Michaels vs Razor, for a long time I'd have said the second one, Summerslam 95 was the best one on one ladder match I'd seen. But now I prefer Omega vs Elgin.

* There's also two different Bash at the Beach names, because they did Beach Blast as well. Maybe it's some sort of tie in with the Jericho Cruise?

Wonder if that place in Panama City, Florida is still standing where those Nitros were years ago... might be an interesting place for an AEW show. You might have a tough time convincing guys not to get into the pool, though.

Ah, WCW 2.0 confirmed, amirite?

I'll be honest: as someone who preferred (good) WCW to everything else for a long time, the connection Cody has to it through being Dusty's son makes me very hopeful. With only having run a single show (kinda), things like this make AEW feel so much more legitimate than TNA or XWF.

XWF 2.0, more like

Not to be a dick, but Jimmy Hart, Hogan, etc. didn't have billionaire money behind them at that point so I'm just not really sure where this comparison comes from-- is it just the general idea of trying to fill the void of, as we call it, the theoretical no. 2 fed?

• Like 2

Wonder if that place in Panama City, Florida is still standing where those Nitros were years ago... might be an interesting place for an AEW show. You might have a tough time convincing guys not to get into the pool, though.

Club La Vela! A cursory Google search says yes. It also kinda already looks like a wrestling taping is going on minus the ring these days15067525f8e5a6889b7b8d8d8ac68418.jpg

• Like 1

I was the guy constantly joking about WCW sets in the many failed AEW threads. My heart is so full right now and I love life. MAKE IT SO. I will fly to a god damn lake in Colorado if it means attending BASH AT THE MOTHERFUCKING BEACH.

Dammit, we are gonna get in a 'best ladder match' convo now aren't we. 

Discussing Pro-Wrestling in the pro wrestling section of a message board on a pro wrestling website? Say it isn't so!

BEST LADDER MATCH: Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin, NJPW. Includes a demonstration of why, when you're hiding under the ring to interfere in the match, you shouldn't tweet about it.

WORST USE OF LADDER IN WRESTLING: Now allow me to digress for a second here. One of the infuriating things about Russo style booking is the way that he has of presenting feuds as a difference of opinion that escalates into violence, but as soon as the violence begins, all parties actually forget what they were originally arguing about. And in this example, Team 3D is feuding with the X Division because Brother Ray thinks small men don't belong in the business. Shortly after the matches start, Johnny Divine joins in on 3D's side, because apparently he agrees with their philosophy (although if he did, surely he'd just retire or try to gain a couple of hundred pounds), and they accept his help (even though this automatically proves that their whole argument is bullshit). Anyway he gets himself put in a multi man Ultimate X match for the title and uses a ladder, while Tenay and West scream about how horribly despicable it is to cheat like that in a no DQ match. Some X Division code of honour deal. Anyway, it sucked.

MOST UNDERRATED: Kendo Nagasaki vs Ironfist Clive Myers, Disco Ladder Match. It's on YouTube. I'd post it but I'm on my phone, and I've already posted on the board at least once.

MOST OVERRATED: Not one particular match, more the fact that there's been so many of them, a lot of which kind of blur into one. Which considering the danger level involved and how much physical damage and pain must be involved in being in one, the fact that so many of them wind up meaning nothing is a real shame. But if I had to pick one, I'd say one of the ones Dolph Ziggler was in probably. Or if Sandman got proper legless in a Ladder match or something.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/03/wwe-to-move-their-global-headquarters-652205/

Selling Titan Towers and moving.

WWE® Announces New Global Headquarters in Stamford

03/20/2019

STAMFORD, Conn.-- WWE (NYSE:WWE) today announced that the company will move its global headquarters to a new office complex at 677 Washington Boulevard in Stamford, Connecticut. This move will allow the company to bring together its operations, including its production studios and corporate offices at its new site.

"One of the most important elements necessary to execute WWE's long-term growth strategy is world-class talent collaborating seamlessly to create compelling content. Our workplace initiative will be the foundation to meet these objectives and underpins our ability to deliver long-term value," said George Barrios, WWE Co-President.

The new headquarters will provide the company with work space suited to its growing and evolving workforce. The site in Stamford's central business district provides greater access from various means of transportation, floor plans which are well-suited to producing video content and greater flexibility in workplace design. The Company anticipates that it will move to the new headquarters in early 2021.

WWE will lease the space for an initial term of approximately 16.5 years commencing no earlier than July 1, 2019, with five five-year renewal options thereafter. The lease will be accounted for as a finance lease, with the creation of a lease obligation (equal to the present value of future lease payments, which would result in the recognition of interest expense over time) and a right-of-use lease asset (equal to the lease obligation less tenant incentives, which is depreciated on a straight-line basis through depreciation expense). Accordingly, the accounting for the lease agreement is not expected to have a material impact on Adjusted OIBDA. Depreciation expense associated with the right-of-use asset will be reflected in operating income. The Company's capital expenditure guidance reflects this initiative. That guidance estimated capital expenditures of approximately $70 million to $90 million for 2019 with continued spending in 2020 above the historic range of approximately 4% to 7% of revenue. Additionally, the company expects to sell its owned and operated corporate facility at 1241 East Main Street, exit its leased spaces at 1266 East Main Street, and will evaluate options for its production studio facilities at 88 and 120 Hamilton Avenue based on strategic, operating and financial considerations.

Additional information is available on the Company's website, corporate.wwe.com/investors.

Edited by D.Z

Best part of all of this is the super polite ovation given for the bunt. Small ball forever!!!

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there has to be some college in California or Florida that has a decent sized stadium with a view of the beach that you could split the difference with.  

Eddy D. Field Stadium, home of the Pepperdine Waves has a motherfucker of a view of the ocean, but it's not exactly beachside.

Or if Sandman got proper legless in a Ladder match or something.

That would be the Stairway to Hell match with Sabu where he dropped acid before the match and thought he was wrestling Godzilla.

Let that settle in for a minute.

(It was actually pretty decent...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WWE has announced that it is selling Titan Towers

They will be staying in Stamford.

The move is supposed to happen in 2021

It basically reads like instead of being spread over like 4 buildings, they would like to consolidate everything into one