DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

7 hours ago, Morganti said:

My favorite thing about the awards.   WWE got second for best promotion and won worst promotion.  It would of been awesome if they won both.

I could swear a promotion did that at least once. WCW in the late 90s maybe?

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think the question was more WHY "stuffing not potatoes" was chosen

To be clear, it was more WHAT was it supposed to be. Now, because I'm not an idiot, I had that mystery cleared up by reading through the thread before I posted and before Bustronaut's reply. It is perfectly valid to question rather or not I'm an idiot for not getting it before, but PRODUCT wasn't in my general usage because I'm not a salesman.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Big Sal Italian?

Looking up what I could find, strictly speaking he was the only one. Guido, Vito, and Trinity were of Italian descent. Everyone else came from elsewhere.

Edited by Eivion

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Y'all can roll out "Balls is criminally underrated" if you want to, but he was in no position to main event a PPV in 1999 or at any time during his career. Funaki could work too, you didn't see him challenging Austin for the WWF title in a PPV main event with zero build. I don't think I've had a conversation about original ECW in 20 years that didn't involve someone wearing rose-colored glasses.

1- Balls was a late sub. Johnny Smith was originally going to be RVD's opponent but he wasn't over in the slightest and Paul realized the match would probably suck.

2- The match was probably RVD's best ECW singles match that didn't involve Jerry Lynn on one of the greatest PPV's ever so who fucking cares? I can't remember a single person complaining about Balls being in a main event, probably because the match was great.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

1- Balls was a late sub. Johnny Smith was originally going to be RVD's opponent but he wasn't over in the slightest and Paul realized the match would probably suck.

Smith and RVD had a fancam match and it was one of the best ECW matches of the year. As good as either of the RVD/Lynn matches.

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

2- The match was probably RVD's best ECW singles match that didn't involve Jerry Lynn on one of the greatest PPV's ever so who fucking cares? I can't remember a single person complaining about Balls being in a main event, probably because the match was great.

Balls and RVD had some really good matches on TV, but that was not one of them. It would not crack my top ten RVD in ECW matches. 

5 minutes ago, Victator said:

Smith and RVD had a fancam match and it was one of the best ECW matches of the year. As good as either of the RVD/Lynn matches.

Balls and RVD had some really good matches on TV, but that was not one of them. It would not crack my top ten RVD in ECW matches. 

First part I didn't remember so it was probably because Paul thought Smith wasn't over enough.

Second part we'll just agree to disagree as I thought it was great.

31 minutes ago, sabremike said:

"We booked a guy that isn't over in the main event so we're going to replace him at the last minute with another guy that shouldn't be main eventing" isn't the best defense.

And, I mean, I am complaining about Balls being in the main event. Me. I thought it was stupid when I was 14 and I think it's stupid now. There were 15 guys they could have plugged in there that would have made more sense and would have produced a match as good or better. 

• Like 1

Has the question (articulated publicly by Mr. CM Punk) of h0w the workers get paid for "PPVs" in the post-cable WWE Network-era ever get answered? It used to be a big deal (and big $$$) to get that FCC-regulated check, a hold-out from the days when the boys got a percentage of the gate. Did everyone just roll over, as usual?

- RAF

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Has the question (articulated publicly by Mr. CM Punk) of h0w the workers get paid for "PPVs" in the post-cable WWE Network-era ever get answered? It used to be a big deal (and big $$$) to get that FCC-regulated check, a hold-out from the days when the boys got a percentage of the gate. Did everyone just roll over, as usual?

- RAF

Enzo talks about this in his latest shoot. All he really does is claim that the guys and women don't get as much as they used to/should, and that WWE can now hide how many people watch or order the actual PPVs because of the Network.

7 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- RAF

Dave said awhile ago that the top guys were still getting similar bonus money but it was definitely having a negative effect on the people at the bottom of the card. Not sure of more details though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ryan said:

Hey, they somehow gave best album to No Devotion's disc a few years ago which I never expected(I'm a Rickly mark), so this doesn't surprise me. I think that was fan voted though for an awards show.....

Way off topic but I somehow missed this. Huge Thursday fan so I'm not sure how but thanks for your post. Weird combo of artists but I'm really digging the song I clicked on, "Stay." It kind of reminds of of "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Heads up to anyone thinking of going to the ROH/NJPW show at MSG: I just got two tickets via TixPick (which is awesome because they don't charge fees) for $39 each. Prices have fallen significantly in the past week or so.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Heads up to anyone thinking of going to the ROH/NJPW show at MSG: I just got two tickets via TixPick (which is awesome because they don't charge fees) for $39 each. Prices have fallen significantly in the past week or so.

Good look. I might have to check that out. NXT is a little out of my price range. I feel super bad for my co worker who got tickets when they went on sale. Paid a ton of cash and thought he was going to get what is now apparently the AEW roster.

On a similar note, I'll probably be going up to Hartford to check out MITB in May so if any of you guys are going we should grab some beers or something

• Like 1