DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Oh, come on. Balls Fucking Mahoney main evented an ECW PPV in 1999.

Balls is criminally underrated by people because his bread and butter was hardcore stuff but he was actually pretty good. In terms of having RVD's best singles matches you could make a strong case Balls is second only to Jerry Lynn.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Balls is criminally underrated by people because his bread and butter was hardcore stuff but he was actually pretty good. In terms of having RVD's best singles matches you could make a strong case Balls is second only to Jerry Lynn.

He had a ton of great matches with RVD. It is a shame he didn't focus on more straight up wrestling. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sabremike said:

or Skull Von Krush. Lord I'll never forget that for 2 shows for some reason the crowd turned on RVD to root for Skull, including at ECW arena. I also remember taking the bus trip to the Arena that Skull was the special guest on the montly bus trip to the Arenaand when he revealed what the New Movement was... well one friend of mine was really hoping it was some sort of Mussolini inspired Fascist gimmick.

It was not. My friend was disappointed

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

or Skull Von Krush. Lord I'll never forget that for 2 shows for some reason the crowd turned on RVD to root for Skull, including at ECW arena. I also remember taking the bus trip to the Arena that Skull was the special guest on the montly bus trip to the Arenaand when he revealed what the New Movement was... well one friend of mine was really hoping it was some sort of Mussolini inspired Fascist gimmick.

It was not. My friend was disappointed

James

I forget...what was the New Movement?

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

He had a ton of great matches with RVD. It is a shame he didn't focus on more straight up wrestling. 

Agreed, particularly after what ended up happening to him later in life (same for Axl Rotten).

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

I forget...what was the New Movement?

As Skull described it?

Just people coming together to rep their neighbor hood and standing up for one another. The gimmick was a little bit more Guardian Angel/Curtis Sliwa inspired than being Italian Black Shirts/Benito Mussolini inspired

James

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Agreed, particularly after what ended up happening to him later in life (same for Axl Rotten).

Oh totally. I ran into Balls at a Life of Agony concert in 2005ish and he was the happiest, friendliest guy ever. He was just happy to be recognized, introduced me to his wife and wound up talking with me for like an hour about wrestling, music and being from NJ. 

• Like 4

"Stuffing instead of potatoes" was a reference to Stove Top's ad campaign when whoever put the famistan in for product did it.

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

It was the hip new lingo at the time.  Not blaming certain wrestlers, but Stuffing instead of potatoes instead.

I think Dean just got tired of seeing it in every other post.

It was me actually. Got tired of the ROHbots dropping that obnoxious phrase in their posts and I figured the replacement was funnier at least.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The last couple of shoot interviews he did were incredibly depressing. You could just tell his injuries, addictions, and bad luck were getting the best of him. I wish he could have found a way to clean himself up and have another run.

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

As Skull described it?

Just people coming together to rep their neighbor hood and standing up for one another. The gimmick was a little bit more Guardian Angel/Curtis Sliwa inspired than being Italian Black Shirts/Benito Mussolini inspired

James

I guess you can say that's what the Baldies ended up being, as they were repping Fordham Road, Bronx. It's kind of funny that the only actually from the Bronx was Vic Grimes. I remember them being pretty over at the ECW shows in Manhattan near the end. Of course, I was going to cheer for the Baldies, as a Yankees fan and them being billed from the Bronx. Plus, they had a pretty badass theme.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

He had some consistently good matches during his WWECW run too. He wasnt featured as prominently as some of the other originals initially but he should have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I guess you can say that's what the Baldies ended up being, as they were repping Fordham Road, Bronx. It's kind of funny that the only actually from the Bronx was Vic Grimes. I remember them being pretty over at the ECW shows in Manhattan near the end. Of course, I was going to cheer for the Baldies, as a Yankees fan and them being billed from the Bronx. Plus, they had a pretty badass theme.

and Guido was the only actual Italian in the FBI.  That's pro wrestling for ya.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

and Guido was the only actual Italian in the FBI.  That's pro wrestling for ya.

You mean JT Smith wasn't Sicilian and Tommy Rich wasn't really the Big Don? Is there nothing sacred anymore?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Y'all can roll out "Balls is criminally underrated" if you want to, but he was in no position to main event a PPV in 1999 or at any time during his career. Funaki could work too, you didn't see him challenging Austin for the WWF title in a PPV main event with zero build. I don't think I've had a conversation about original ECW in 20 years that didn't involve someone wearing rose-colored glasses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Y'all can roll out "Balls is criminally underrated" if you want to, but he was in no position to main event a PPV in 1999 or at any time during his career. Funaki could work too, you didn't see him challenging Austin for the WWF title in a PPV main event with zero build. I don't think I've had a conversation about original ECW in 20 years that didn't involve someone wearing rose-colored glasses.

Yeah, this is what I was accounting for when I compared 1999 wrestling. WCW was god-awful (even BEFORE Russo), and both WWF and ECW aged like mayonnaise. 

Anarchy Rulz 99 was one of my all time fav PPVs. Love the Lynn/Storm opener, the excitement having no idea what's going on in the whole Awesome/Taz deal. RVD was my favorite guy and that being the main event almost made me think another title change was coming, always thought it was a really good match overall.

• Like 6