DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

It's almost 3am, so I'm bored, and... yeah, I'm watching the Heroes of Wrestling PPV from 1999. Just to see how bad it is. But then I start searching for other things while I'm watching it, mainly the WWA promotion from the early 2000s, and I stumble upon a channel that has full events from W*ING, IWA Japan, Tri-State Wrestling Alliance, 1PW, early Big Japan, and eight volumes of FMW stuff called "Story of the F". Oh and some full shows of 80s/90s NWA, WCW and WWF house shows. Never knew Tenryu and Yokozuna faced off (or Undertaker/Shinzaki) on a WWF house in Japan, but here we are.

It's gonna be a busy weekend.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Observer awards out

Hide contents

Lou Thesz - Omega

Most Outstanding Wrestler - Omega

MOTY - Omega/Okada at NJPW Dominion

Cheers. I'd hand Lou Thesz and Most Outstanding Wrestler to Kazuchika Okada. MOTY is right, that match narrowly pipped Almas vs. Gargano from NXT on mine.

To tie this a little bit back to complaints about using the term "stan" - I know there were a few common phrases that got filtered.

Sad Panda was one and "Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter"

I have been debating adding a few back that are spelling related but the one I really want to do I can't due to unintended consequences

6 hours ago, Casey said:

It's almost 3am, so I'm bored, and... yeah, I'm watching the Heroes of Wrestling PPV from 1999. Just to see how bad it is.

The weird thing on that part...it may be a hot take, but that PPV wasn't as terrible as advertised.

The lows were lower than any other PPV, yes, but take out the main event and it was about the same quality as any other American PPV in 1999 was. (Granted, 1999 may be the single worst year of pro wrestling quality-wise, but still.)  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

The weird thing on that part...it may be a hot take, but that PPV wasn't as terrible as advertised.

The lows were lower than any other PPV, yes, but take out the main event and it was about the same quality as any other American PPV in 1999 was. (Granted, 1999 may be the single worst year of pro wrestling quality-wise, but still.)  

Yeah, 1999 on PPV wasn't the best. ECW was the most consistent.

The good 1999 PPV's stand at WWF Backlash, WWF No Mercy, WCW Spring Stampede, ECW Living Dangerously, ECW Hardcore Heaven and ECW Anarchy Rulz 1999 (PPV of the year).

• Like 4

I have a really hard time thinking of any bad ECW ppv's, not WWECW and December to Dismember. Even near death, ECW's show quality didn't suffer. They made the most of who they had and usually over-delivered. I was thinking of this yesterday, but imagine ECW where Paul E. is only responsible for creative with a backer like Panda Energy or the Khan family.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and because I am 99% sure it happened while I was on hiatus - why was "The Product" banned?

I feel like it is something I could blame on Dan

It was the hip new lingo at the time.  Not blaming certain wrestlers, but Stuffing instead of potatoes instead.

I think Dean just got tired of seeing it in every other post.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have a really hard time thinking of any bad ECW ppv's, not WWECW and December to Dismember. Even near death, ECW's show quality didn't suffer. They made the most of who they had and usually over-delivered. I was thinking of this yesterday, but imagine ECW where Paul E. is only responsible for creative with a backer like Panda Energy or the Khan family.

Wrestlepalooza 98 kind of sucked, and it was the first ECW PPV we could get out here in California.

Edited by Tromatagon

12 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Wrestlepalooza 98 kind of sucked, and it was the first ECW PPV we could get out here in California.

Yeah - I was gonna say

Maybe it is because it was RVD/Sabu torturing us for 30 minutes is why people have misty water colored memories

November to Remember 98 stunk too. 

I remember being at the Elk's Lodge when Tajiri turned heel on Taz to set-up the Heatwave 99 match. I left that show actually excited for tajiri v. Taz. Then I was watched the match and saw Taz basically squash Tajiri and pretty much gave up on ECW after that. Not even the Mike Awesome period could make me excited for an ECW show of any kined

James

Having recently watched all the ECW PPV's, they do NOT hold up well, and this is from someone who attended 90% of shows that ever took place at the ECW Arena.

• Thanks 1

Wrestling fans need to steal more slang from hip hop and what not to keep on the cutting edge. I hear slang all the time that I don't know what the fuck it means at first because of the discord I'm on. Die lit, fam.

4 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Observer awards out

Reveal hidden contents

Lou Thesz - Omega

Most Outstanding Wrestler - Omega

MOTY - Omega/Okada at NJPW Dominion

Checked out the winners (at least the ones listed on Wikipedia so far). Surprised they actually let a WWE guy win Best Talker, I guess McGregor finally said enough racist shit that Meltzer couldn't justify giving it to him any more.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Wrestling fans need to steal more slang from hip hop and what not to keep on the cutting edge. I hear slang all the time that I don't know what the fuck it means at first because of the discord I'm on. Die lit, fam.

Wrestling is degenerate enough without injecting it with Rap poison. Keep that shit away from me.

• Like 2