DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

There are currently no word filters, but I came  close to throwing one on "wreddit" to make it "I am a better wrestling fan than THOU sir"

But fortunately I got busy at work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Jews" would change to "Our cruel yet fair Jewish overlords" for a while. And "DOI" meaning Declaration of Independents dot com (the Feinstein is innocent site) would change to Second Doi, a Japanese indie wrestler. Which meant that anyone who actually wanted to discuss Second Doi would end up calling him Second Second Doi. And if someone then quoted that post, a third Second would appear. And so on.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There are currently no word filters, but I came  close to throwing one on "wreddit" to make it "I am a better wrestling fan than THOU sir"

But fortunately I got busy at work. 

I would have accepted this and laughed heartily. 

Pete put in several that had to do with Manchester United and Manchester City

Gay was one because people LOVED to use it as a slur. Thankfully it appears everyone got that out of their system

In general - I don't like them because of unintended consequences

Usually, I believe we can act and speak like adults.

Of course - on multiple occasions - I have been proven wrong

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Gay was one because people LOVED to use it as a slur. Thankfully it appears everyone got that out of their system.

I think it's more that the people who used it as a slur all got themselves banned at one point or another.

I carried on using One Man Gang for quite a while after the filter was removed. Then again, I still use More Songs About... In real life. And "How do you win this thing, Schiavone?" Even though that's just something Jesse Ventura said on commentary once.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think it's more that the people who used it as a slur all got themselves banned at one point or another.

Either that, or they suddenly had a more personal understanding of what being gay meant after someone they knew came out. Tends to happen a lot with personal experience. I noticed a lot of people in my life stopped using anti-trans slurs once they came to understand that I was trans.

59 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've been watching a bunch of random Liger stuff lately and recently came across this match: 

What's the storyline here? Why did the locker room empty at the end? Was there a NOAH/NJPW interpromotional feud going on with Liger leading the charge?

Don't know if Liger was leading the charge, but it was a part of that feud for sure. The only promotional feud I recall Liger leading the charge in was CTU vs. Apache Army. There is a good  Liger/Jado/Gedo vs. Kanemura/Hido/Kuroda street fight you should probably check out if you can find it.

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

What's the storyline here? Why did the locker room empty at the end? Was there a NOAH/NJPW interpromotional feud going on with Liger leading the charge?

Yep. Go a page or two back on the Wrestling Not from the Now thread I just bumped up and you'll get the other matches. Kikuchi and Kanemaru won the tag titles and Liger was trying to get them back to NJ. It was heated as fuck and there was all kinds of dickishness going on. All of those matches are must-see.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I remember the c-word becoming “hot southern Passion flower”. 

Ooooh, I like that one. 

"Excuse me ma'am, may I smell your hot southern passion flower?"

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Meh would turn into something really long

"I take umbrage at your assertion" or something like that? 

I also remember "busting his ass" became "spreading his ass"...Kind of childish, but I admit I laughed. 

Also, Kikuchi's and Kanemaru's Jr Tag Title win ranks very highly on my all-time favourite list. Just recently talked to a friend about it, it was amazing.

As an old school AJPW Jr, Kikuchi didn't get that many moments in the sun, the focus in Baba's ring was always on the big dudes. I remember Kikuchi being backdropped into oblivion by Masa Fuchi, that's it. Here it is NOAH v NJPW and you can see Kikuchi seizing the opportunity and everybody giving it their all. I really have to watch this match again! 

Oooo! Ditch had the one with them from 8/29/02, so apparently I haven't seen the Crossroads one? Well I sure am glad this topic got brought up again! Thanx guys. 

EDIT: Nope, the Dailymotion one is the same one on Youtube from the other thread

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, Morganti said:

Ny personal favorite was the n word being "white meat babyface" and someone quoting from BLK OUT's entrance theme...

20 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Wasn't the n-word something like "a dusky gentleman"?

There were people that actually used the n word on here? Like, I don't even use it if I were quoting a Tarantino line or referring to the infamous Booker T line. Why would someone really need to use that word on a wrestling message board or in general?

I don't think it was ever thrown around casually or anything, but there were certainly times that I saw it on the board. 

I remember someone transcribing a Kanyon interview about a homophobic SmackDown segment where he was instructed to sing a song and told to "sing it like a cigarette," which I liked so much I made it a song title for my old shitty band. 

• Like 3