DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

"Get these hands" is hysterical because it's a one word change from a common expression so they can trademark it (although, honestly, I think it sounds better than "catch these hands")

How about:

spirit-fingers-gif-6.gif

;).

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

Twitter doesn't draw. She was already popular, dominating her opponents for months is what drove her roverts crazy.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

You would think after Trump was memed into the white house people would stop undercutting the power of social media, but here we are.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Macho Warrior Ric Hogan. The Legend of Doom. Gary B Ware. Kwik Kick Lee (Akira Maeda). Japan's Mean Machine (Satoshi Kojima).

Fake wrestler names designed to draw in marks who didn't know any better were always great.  Last week Meltzer was discussing an old promoter who booked Bummy Rogers and Hobo Brazil.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Rick said:

Facts don't care about your feelings.

You are confusing facts for opinions. 

You would think after Trump was memed into the white house people would stop undercutting the power of social media, but here we are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

Edited by Victator

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

You are confusing facts for opinions. 

Are you denying twitter hasn't had a helping hand in Becky's success? Are you that dumbfounded to the influence of the internet? 

I'd argue Becky's manipulation of twitter is the most important cog in the ascension of The Man. She certainly didn't get there on booking alone.

Becky has that highly intangible intensity factor, the kind of edge that's rare and cultivated from her own work, not from the pen of a writer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Fake wrestler names designed to draw in marks who didn't know any better were always great.  Last week Meltzer was discussing an old promoter who booked Bummy Rogers and Hobo Brazil.

Hobo Brazil is a gimmick we need in today's wrestling world. He can be Kotto Brazil's freight train hopping; migrant worker brother, who is never without his bindle. The only time Kotto sees his brother is when Hobo needs a flophouse.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Anyone going to the njpw Dallas show? Tickets go on sale in 40 minutes, will be very interesting to see how it does. I’m hoping for the best but it definitely doesn’t seem like there’s much buzz compared to the first two Long Beach shows, msg and all in and double or nothing. Might be too much product now. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Are you denying twitter hasn't had a helping hand in Becky's success? Are you that dumbfounded to the influence of the internet? 

I'd argue Becky's manipulation of twitter is the most important cog in the ascension of The Man. She certainly didn't get there on booking alone.

Becky has that highly intangible intensity factor, the kind of edge that's rare and cultivated from her own work, not from the pen of a writer.

On the contrary. Becky's manipulation of Twitter nearly SANK her, not made her great.

Becky's biggest weakness as The Man originally was she was so scattershot on Twitter- she took on anyone and everyone who'd Tweet against her, and her roverts loved every minute of it.

That made her a little popular...but also nearly destroyed the rise, because since Becky was going after everyone, her fans would be fine with her facing ANYONE. Say what you will about Ronda's Twitter game being destroyed, but Ronda's always been laser-focused against Becky Lynch and made it clear "I want Becky, and so YOU SHOULD want me to fight Becky too." 

Becky, on the other hand, was "I want Ronda in the ring...oh, but I also want Charlotte in the ring, and I want Nia in the ring...Rhea Ripley came to me and I shut her down, so I want to go to NXT-UK to beat her, and Chris Jericho/Seth Rollins stepped to me, and I bet those guys would do an IG match, so I want them too...", and as a result, that made so many matches Becky's fans would be happy with that you could shunt Becky to a throwaway match at Mania and the fans would be okay with it.

Only Becky saying the same as Ronda- "Okay. I want Ronda at Wrestlemania. You should want me to fight her too", was able to really make it work. 

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

... and as a result, that made so many matches Becky's fans would be happy with that you could shunt Becky to a throwaway match at Mania and the fans would be okay with it.

That isn't remotely true. These are the same people who don't want her to share the main event three ways; some random midcard match would have got an overwhelmingly negative reaction online, in arenas, everywhere.

I give you Peter the Bad Romance as the worst wrestler name. He recently started a tag team with Gilbert. They did a promo where Gilbert asked him what his real name is (Pedro Portillo), and told him that he will use that now because Peter the Bad Romance is stupid.

Look. I know some of y'all think you're being cute calling people "stans" and now "roverts," but it's fucking dumb. 

The word fan is right fucking there. It's a word that has worked for fucking ever. You don't need to call people stans or roverts or whatever other dumb fucking thing some of you will think up. 

It's the stupidest thing and it makes me wish framistans were back. At least with word filters, you'd be forced to stop using whatever dumb or cutesy word you think is clever. 

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"Get these hands" is hysterical because it's a one word change from a common expression so they can trademark it (although, honestly, I think it sounds better than "catch these hands")

I hate that Fandango's original gimmick never overlapped into a feud with Braun, because in my head, the resultant "Get These Jazz Hands" promo is choice!!!!

What were some of the triggered words? I remember product on there. Pretty sure Benoit was, too. 

So, definitely not wanting to go down a dark path but is the Rovert/Becky story legit or is it one of those running gags that became accepted? 

18 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

But then he punts the baby into the crowd and all is forgiven for the greatest thing ever that still makes me laugh.

Re: Gene Snitsky, I just want to give a shout to him for having some of the most badass ring music in WWF history. To the point where I wondered if it was that "unreleased" theme that Zakk Wylde supposedly/allegedly did for Steve Austin after he turned in 2001

17 hours ago, nate said:

Wasn't there something about Test's name being a reference to something like "passing the (T)est"?

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, it certainly wasn't a drug test.

Put me in the camp of those who always thought it was a reference to taking testosterone. There's some apochryphal story out there, I can't even remember who it was attributed to "Why's he called Test? Look at him!"

40 minutes ago, Hagan said:

What were some of the triggered words? I remember product on there. Pretty sure Benoit was, too. 

I definitely remember "stuffing instead of potatoes" but the Benoit one I'm not sure about. I thought people were actually just typing out "Voldemort" 

A few I can remember...

(I think) lol = "blowing cum out my nose"

RF/Feinstein/Rob Feinstein = Henery Hawk LLC

... good lord, I know there were more.  I'm 44 and I've been here since the green & yellow days, what do you want from me?

Eta: "word filter" itself = framistan

Eta 2: the word "fag"* = "cigarette"

Edited by nate
  • Like 1