DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

The buildup to mania and the women's match in particular (that pic The Natural posted spells it all out) reminds me of those videos I've seen of common core math. Taking a simple concept that should require no complex setup and do it in the most convoluted way possible. Then throw in a rant about how math isn't real while you're doing it.

• Thanks 3

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think someone hated how Ronda was getting her lunch money taken on social media by Becky seemingly every day and they decided that the only way Ronda was going to win this is to put over her REAL combat skills and minimize Becky as a loud mouth "entertainer".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Tell me how much that coverts to money

Nobody said it did. I was pointing out it was intentional, whether I thought it sucked or not was besides the point. It *is* humiliating and stupid and over-complicates everything even more. The initial barbs between Becky and Ronda were great (albeit one-sided) until Ronda was instructed to turn everything into a shoot to kick off her heel run. 

I suspect all of this will be forgotten about when Becky sends the fans home happy at mania.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Seriously, Nickel and Dime? Call them by their values like everyone else does. British kids only have to remember that a Pound is a hundred pennies, because every other coin is named after it's value.

Well only for the past couple of generations. Before then it was two bob this and farthing that and half a crown the other. 'Stick a pony in my pocket'? Pretty esoteric to an outsider. 

Even when I was working in a south London pub a few years ago we'd be talking about cash in terms of scores / tons etc.

Anyway, on topic, not a fan of the shooty shooty bullshit but I think a lot of people are underplaying how well and how quickly Ronda has taken to the pro wrestling. If only she would stop firing off the verbose and artificial promos at machine-gun speed.  

I read she has a speech impediment that makes it incredibly difficult for her to slow down which makes it incredibly stupid that creative insists on her cutting lengthy promos.  

I'm not sure at all that WWE is going to put Becky over.  Surely not over Ronda. WWE doesn't seem to give a shit what the fans want at the end of Mania (or any other time of the year)..  it's not often they send fans home happy at these shows. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Only due to failed Roman experiments (the last four manias, jesus).

Becky is jumping through too many hoops not to win. The important question is who is doing the tapping.

You really think there's a more than Zero percent chance Ronda taps?  I'm almost confident enough that Charlotte or Becky is taking the fall that I'd avatar bet it.

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I read she has a speech impediment that makes it incredibly difficult for her to slow down which makes it incredibly stupid that creative insists on her cutting lengthy promos.  

I'm not sure at all that WWE is going to put Becky over.  Surely not over Ronda. WWE doesn't seem to give a shit what the fans want at the end of Mania (or any other time of the year)..  it's not often they send fans home happy at these shows. 

When she was born the umbilical chord was literally strangling her and she was lucky just to survive. The damage she suffered led to her having serious speech development issues to where she couldn't really speak until she was 7 or 8 IIRC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Tell me how much that coverts to money

I read somewhere - think it was a Twitter post from one of the newz sites - that Heyman is coaching both Lynch and Rousey during this feud and it feels like he's got his fingerprints on it. This screams of someone creating buzz at the expense of some of the more "sacred" elements of pro wrestling which I'd like to think is something that Paul Heyman is an expert at. I mean, not like Russo, but Paul E.'s done his fair share of "blurring the lines" in attempts to get viewers, whether those viewers are "smart" and hateful of what going on or not. i don't think it's a good thing, it's just something he's done before (i.e. Pillman, Austin, etc.)

I was hoping for just Ronda v. Becky, but if this how they've got to run the program to keep Ronda happy while getting Becky over, then that's a corner WWE have backed themselves into. I just don't think the shooty, kayfabe smashing bullshit is needed here (or anywhere, really.) Breaking kayfabe is just lazy creative, in my opinion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sabremike said:

When she was born the umbilical chord was literally strangling her and she was lucky just to survive. The damage she suffered led to her having serious speech development issues to where she couldn't really speak until she was 7 or 8 IIRC

So, leave it to WWE to have her out there trying to cut long promos.

20 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

By whom? She's anti-trans and a domestic abuser.

If you think trans-people are anywhere near the social acceptance of e.g. gay people, to the point were Ronda's statements could possibly hurt her mainstream appeal, you're living in a twitter bubble.

Same goes for a MMA woman roughing up her equally trained husband. Double standard, no one cares.

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You think the average person who just knows her name is aware of this and the other ugly views she's held? I think you've got to be in the loop or have a long memory to know about all that.

And the majority of wrestling/MMA fans probably don’t care anyway.

This whole shoot thing only makes sense if the three of them actually fight in a legit shoot. Otherwise, what’s the point of having Ronda ridicule worked matches only to have her engage in one at Mania? Are they selling the illusion that she’s going to go off script? Which, the ugliness of some of her personal views aside, is pretty unlikely considering she’s proven herself a professional and would have broken Becky’s arm at Raw already, if she were inclined to do so. 

16 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Oh, so now Ronda’s mma career is comparable to Enzo’s wrestling career?  

Glad we’re not being ridiculous.

She was a pioneer of Women's MMA, yes. But look what happened to the pioneers of men's MMA when they tried to fight the next generation of talents. Ken Shamrock got steamrolled by Tito Ortiz and Rich Franklin, Royce Gracie was crushed by Matt Hughes. And then Ortiz, Franklin and Hughes were all, to one extent or another, proven to be B-level players in their own eras, once they ran into more skilled, more developed, more well rounded opponents.

Ronda looking so useless against Holly looks especially bad to anyone who looks at Holm's record since that fight. The Amanda Nunes loss not so much, but... if you take 1993 unbeatable Royce Gracie and put him in a cage with 2019 Israel Adesanya (or Kamaru Usman) he's getting demolished. 2019 Amanda Nunes would probably be in the same boat against whoever the champion in 2037 is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hassan80636 said:

If you think trans-people are anywhere near the social acceptance of e.g. gay people, to the point were Ronda's statements could possibly hurt her mainstream appeal, you're living in a twitter bubble.

Same goes for a MMA woman roughing up her equally trained husband. Double standard, no one cares.

What was the fighters name again? Off topic but my girlfriend read this story (or a similar) somewhere, and is insistent Roderick Strong got beat up by his wife.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

She was a pioneer of Women's MMA, yes. But look what happened to the pioneers of men's MMA when they tried to fight the next generation of talents. Ken Shamrock got steamrolled by Tito Ortiz and Rich Franklin, Royce Gracie was crushed by Matt Hughes. And then Ortiz, Franklin and Hughes were all, to one extent or another, proven to be B-level players in their own eras, once they ran into more skilled, more developed, more well rounded opponents.

Ronda looking so useless against Holly looks especially bad to anyone who looks at Holm's record since that fight. The Amanda Nunes loss not so much, but... if you take 1993 unbeatable Royce Gracie and put him in a cage with 2019 Israel Adesanya (or Kamaru Usman) he's getting demolished. 2019 Amanda Nunes would probably be in the same boat against whoever the champion in 2037 is.

Almost as if time marches on in fighting arts as well. How about that?

Seriously, Jack Johnson would probably get killed by virtually any pro boxer in the sport today, but it doesn't mean that he's some sort of joke either. 

Saying someone like Ronda's no better at MMA than Enzo Amore was as a wrestler because she's not as good as Nunes is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hassan80636 said:

Doesn't matter if they do or not. Everyone deserves equal rights.

• Like 6

Gonna guess that, along with Dave's comments last week and his now constant picking apart how sick for how long Roman was is probably what set Nia off.

EDIT: Add in Satin stirring the pot and Dave needing to Tweet a correction about his speculating about Roman and yeah, that's what's going on.  Dave should quit while hes ahead, but he won't. 

Edited by Raziel
  • Haha 1

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

giphy.gif 

Alright, before anyone else does...

Only 22 more days... ?

Seriously, though, yikes...