DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

RIGHT! Okay - firstly - how the fuck is this not online? It legitimately may be the most offensive thing on a wrestling show ever. Secondly - why the fuck did ECW allow this on its TV? There should be an oral history discussing the decision to allow this. I feel there should be public apologies. 

I remember watching this live and being completely flabbergasted. If I recall, it was literally like a week or so after his death, too. 

Edit: I was about to ask why it didn't win Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic in the WON but it aired on the 7/24/99 Hardcore TV and, well, some other real bad shit went down in '99. 

Further edit: upon further research - it didn't even place. Did no one watch ECW in '99? Did it not air nationally? I have so many questions.

It’s funny because I was just watching the Dudleyz Heatwave promo and is so bizarre and unnecessary and grotesque and offensive that it just boggles the mind that it was ever on a wrestling show never mind when you compare it to modern stuff.

I have watched so much offensive wrestling stuff over the years but the only time I was ever really embarrassed watching a wrestling show was watching that last ECW PPV where Missy Hyatt was talking to Francine about how she wasn’t “sleeping with” Justin Credible (Obviously not what she said) and I remember thinking “I really could have done a lot better things with my money than spend it on this”.  

26 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Thanks!

I personally prefer someone writing thoughts out than a move for move review as that stuff is pretty uninteresting specially when it's something I can watch myself.

It also depends on the match.

Like he might spend a really large part earlier in an issue talking about why he felt a certain way about a match but then in the show recap - it will almost just a move for move recap. (This is basically the way he does it for New Japan and WWE shows).

So you can get both but it is all over the place. (Those of us who have read Dave for years know it just comes with the territory but it can be very jarring if you aren't used to it.)

• Like 1

That reminds me how Cornette tells the story of recording the Crockett TBS show and he compared the fireball he threw at Ron Garvin to the Chsllenger. Suddenly, the lights go off and Dusty calls him to the back and says "kid, dont talk about the challenger, do it again." 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

What's funny is that's my mindset this year.  Assuming I'm going I'll head up to Jersey/NY, catch some stuff and maybe get a cheap hotel to crash in afterwards.

I had no desire to go WM in my home state. I will be hitting some other shows in addition to ROH/New Japan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caley said:

It’s funny because I was just watching the Dudleyz Heatwave promo and is so bizarre and unnecessary and grotesque and offensive that it just boggles the mind that it was ever on a wrestling show never mind when you compare it to modern stuff.

I have watched so much offensive wrestling stuff over the years but the only time I was ever really embarrassed watching a wrestling show was watching that last ECW PPV where Missy Hyatt was talking to Francine about how she wasn’t “sleeping with” Justin Credible (Obviously not what she said) and I remember thinking “I really could have done a lot better things with my money than spend it on this”.  

Steve Corino made that promo with his line about John Tatum waiting in the Cougar for Missy, and Missy's line to Jack Victory about managing himself when he tells her she didn't sleep with him, but managed him.

I think Hardcore TV was gone from my local channel before that happened.

There used to be a sorts network out of Detroit called PASS. Late nights, it aired packages from the PRIME Sports Network and in either late 96 or early 97, I realized ECW was part of this. I think like 2 or 3 am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Then Fox Sports bought out Prime and literally the only thing I noticed change was the branding and ECW was gone.

ECW must've gotten better ratings then whatever Fox replaced it with though, because a few months later, it was back in it's timeslot on PASS, now without Prime or Fox branding.

Then one day PASS became Fox Sports Detroit and I never got Hardcore TV again.

Edit: upon looking it up, it was definitely 96 that Prime got bought out by Fox, and 98 PASS shut down, so yeah.

Edited by Brian Fowler

I just watched the Heatwave promo on youtube a little while ago. I sort of remember the aftermath on the old ECW AOL boards, but man just imagine if there was a twitter back then. Some of the stuff Bubba probably would have been posting. 

Even PWI talked shit about that ending IIRC, and they were a kayfabe magazine! 

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

@Curt McGirt hates @Stefanie the Human and the video game thread apparently ?

My gaming starts in the late '80s and ends in the early '90s so I've no reason to go anywhere near there, my friend. Kudos for Stef for beating me, I just found it on Facebook.

Guest Edwin

Why didn't WWE ever make a move for Bison Smith? Big muscled up tank of a dude with a football background and he could go in the ring. I remember seeing him live in IWA PR a lot and him excelling at the more brawlish Puerto Rican style and then him turning up in Noah and working entirely different as more of a gaijin heavyweight.

Edited by Edwin
For Casey's sake and typos!

Guest Edwin
18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Maybe they figured he was gassed to the gills, which he was...

Given their past history, that wouldn't have been a problem...

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

In what world did Bison Smith have a great look?

I guess I should rephrase that... The dude was a muscled up tank which had the type of physique of the guys they would usually try to sign, so it's surprising they didn't make a move for him. Better?

Here's a wrestling what-if.  What if Ventura had stuck around with WCW until the NWO?   (assume no Heenan- Hogan liked Ventura so Ventura would have been safe).  How would he have been regarding the NWO- would he have gone face announcer saying it crossed the line, or would he be doing his same schtick, or some combination of both?

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Hardcore TV was gone from my local channel before that happened.

There used to be a sorts network out of Detroit called PASS. Late nights, it aired packages from the PRIME Sports Network and in either late 96 or early 97, I realized ECW was part of this. I think like 2 or 3 am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Then Fox Sports bought out Prime and literally the only thing I noticed change was the branding and ECW was gone.

ECW must've gotten better ratings then whatever Fox replaced it with though, because a few months later, it was back in it's timeslot on PASS, now without Prime or Fox branding.

Then one day PASS became Fox Sports Detroit and I never got Hardcore TV again.

Edit: upon looking it up, it was definitely 96 that Prime got bought out by Fox, and 98 PASS shut down, so yeah.

This reminds me of my favorite lesser known WCW C (D?) show - WCW Prime. Complete with stock matches from Disney and Dusty being completely insane every week in the best possible way. 

14 minutes ago, nofuture said:

103itvdtkpk21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Looks like we're getting a pirate themed Mania next year in Tampa.

Or it's because that's where the Buccaneers play and they're just using a similar logo.

• Like 1