DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

When it comes to Enzo Amore, you get rid of the first E, get rid of the Z and forget the A, and what you've got left, that's exactly what I want to hear out of Enzo Amore.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Eric, covering for his buddy Hulk during the podcast, said that because Sting wasn't excited, didn't have a tan, and didn't look like he prepared for that day, they had to change the booking. He says this despite Nick Patrick later acknowledging that Hogan changed the finish.

Tremendous.  So if Sting could have just hit the Tropic Tan down the street, possibly do a few curls to get a pump, and maybe do something to brighten his mood (watch some TV?  get a sandwich?  rub one out?) the whole course of wrestling history would have been changed.  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 6

The Wanker family of Wanker County is surely in mourning. God speed, King Kong Bundy.

Heh heh, Wanker.

(My favorite story about that dude is Bret Hart's in his autobiography. "Hart! Ya dumb fuck!" after Bret gets lost on a bunch of one-way streets and drives them right back to the mob of fans that they were originally trying to escape kills me every time that I read that book.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

If you want to avoid being further annoyed, avoid at all costs Eric Bischoff talking about Starrcade 97 on the 83 Weeks podcast. I thought Conrad let him off the hook or was too nice to him. Eric is just so full of shit though.

The gist of it is that Sting arrived the day of Starrcade 97 and he wasn't "excited" and didn't even have a tan. He just showed up to the arena like it was any other day. Eric, covering for his buddy Hulk during the podcast, said that because Sting wasn't excited, didn't have a tan, and didn't look like he prepared for that day, they had to change the booking. He says this despite Nick Patrick later acknowledging that Hogan changed the finish.

Eric has no explanation for why that would be the impetus to make Sting look like shit during the match and he never admits to Hogan changing the finish. They were basically like, "we have to do something about this because look at him! How can we go with the original plan if he's not excited?!?"

Fuck Eric Bischoff. He killed WCW just as much as Russo or Nash or anyone else did. That Eric refuses to accept any blame and puts it all on the AOL/Time Warner merger pisses me off. Hey dumbass, do you really think they'd cancel Nitro if the ratings were still through the roof and you were remotely competitive with WWE? People can point to the fingerpoke of doom all they want, but the death of WCW started at Starrcade 97 when you fucked up quite possibly the easiest booking ever.

And to further bust this myth, on BTS podcast Kris Zellner tells where he was at a show with a Sting/Hall dark match the week before Starrcade, so they knew exactly what Sting looked like and how he would wrestle.

• Like 1

Yeah, Bischoff was all kinds of evasive discussing the finish to Hogan/Sting, but Conrad's "You fucked the finish because of a tan?!" was perhaps the only time one of his pods got a legit laugh out of me.

• Like 1

Just now, MORELOCK said:

I think it's 100% possible that Sting, WCW's top star, was wrestling for the first time in over a year, and Bischoff didn't watch it. 

I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, it would be nice if Bischoff would hold himself accountable just a little bit. It wouldn't change a freaking thing, but come on. Bischoff's direction, or lack thereof, and letting the inmates run the asylum lead to the free fall in ratings, which prompted Bischoff to take a break because he was "burnt out," which lead to the hiring of Russo, which lead to all sorts of even worse ideas, and then Bischoff would come back, and nothing would improve, and then he was gone again, and when he was back near the end of WCW the promotion was showing some signs of life, but it was far too late at that point.

I've always been more of a WWE/WWF fan than a WCW fan, but I'm not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy WCW. I flipped back and forth between channels or taped Raw and watched Nitro live and would watch Raw after just like so many others did. It just didn't need to die though. Not only that, but even after completely fucking up Sting's return and revenge against Hogan, the company was granted yet another lifeline with Goldberg. Their response to that was to hold on tight until they were so close to the rescue boat and then they set the lifeline on fire. THEY FUCKED UP BOTH STING AND GOLDBERG. That's something else you don't see talked about much. It would be like WWF fucking up Stone Cold, getting one more chance with the Rock, and fucking that up too.

And I listed to 83 Weeks every week for some dumb reason, maybe because some of Bischoff's insight into the inner workings of WCW is fascinating, but the idea to run nWo as a separate brand on Mondays while core WCW ran on Thursdays is so fucking stupid. Their path to competing with WWF or at the very least stopping their ratings from falling further was to just go back to very simple, solid storytelling. Each episode has a path from point A to point B with something to rope you in to the following week.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

The gist of it is that Sting arrived the day of Starrcade 97 and he wasn't "excited" and didn't even have a tan. He just showed up to the arena like it was any other day. 

So I'm expected to believe when a guy is winning a belt he should be skipping around backstage, whistling and whimsical? From all I've heard about being backstage at a wrestling event that seems like it would be frowned upon.

What is always weird about the WCW revisionism of Starrcade ‘97 is that if you really want to defend Hulk’s bullshit with changing the finish just call out Sting for being deep into the drugs and booze and shit during the period. Wasn’t he going through maritial shit at the time, too?

I feel that’s what a lot of the ‘looked unmotivated and out of shape’ stuff is hinting at anyway.

edit: Sting’s born again story

Searching for answers, Borden found God, and in 1998 became a born-again Christian and eventually left wrestling – along with his addiction and the dark pursuits that went with it, he said.

Not remotely defending Hulk’s stunt with the finish but there’s a much better argument in saying ‘Sting was dealing with a major pill and alcohol addiction and we didn’t think we could trust him to run with the belt.’

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:46 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

I'd take any play by play commentator under WWE employ in the past 30 years over Mauro. Even the blandest of the bland like Marc Lloyd never made me swear at my TV like Mauro does, I don't think a Takeover passes without at least one "Oh, fuck OFF Mauro". He's terrible.

Mamma Mia!

Honestly, was coming to post something along these lines. I think a lot of people excuse how annoying he is because "he's one of us" but I can't stand him. I think that Ian from ROH is a much better version of Mauro. 

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Hey, that's awesome! We don't have enough WWE documentaries on the Network already, amirite?

Now we can hear for the 15th time the same tired stories like that one time Heyman was supposed to send Bubba Ray some flyers and he gave him a tracking number and Bubba told him it was too many numbers and Heyman told him to drop the last number!

If AJ Lee wasn't didn't marry Punk and didn't get injured , I wonder how she'd be positioned now well into this Women's Evolution. She was viewed as a all time great before the other girls come up to the main roster. She could've had alot better people to work with at this point. She was having decent matches with Kaitlyn and Naomi when they were green as grass and they both turned out pretty decent.

32 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Hey, that's awesome! We don't have enough WWE documentaries on the Network already, amirite?

Now we can hear for the 15th time the same tired stories like that one time Heyman was supposed to send Bubba Ray some flyers and he gave him a tracking number and Bubba told him it was too many numbers and Heyman told him to drop the last number!

Bubba Ray wasn't around for this period of ECW. It almost exclusively features voice clips from Heyman, Shane McMahon, Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman (and about a minute from John Cone). Each one of them shits on the "new" ECW.