DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I'd take any play by play commentator under WWE employ in the past 30 years over Mauro. Even the blandest of the bland like Marc Lloyd never made me swear at my TV like Mauro does, I don't think a Takeover passes without at least one "Oh, fuck OFF Mauro". He's terrible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Best color is Bobby Heenan followed by a gap roughly the size of the Grand canyon

I’m with ML saying, that’s a bold statement. Bobby was great on Prime Time, and he had those special moments on commentary. But he wasn’t better than Jesse on commentary. Jesse like others pointed out, never lost focus. He was always on the ball from the top of the card, and all the way down to the bottom. The Body Shop was pretty great too, with bragging about his mediocre wrestling physique(“Hey Gorilla! You know who that Rick Rude reminds me of? Me!!!”) while talking about the different bicep poses the guest heel would do.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

I really like Frank Bonnema. Pre-82 Portland Wrestling was unique in as, even watching it now, you get a feeling like you're almost part of this community. A lot of things contributed to that: the interviews between falls, the same ads/donors on most shows, the shots of the crowd in the opening and the closing, Buddy Rose being Buddy Rose and Dutch Savage being Dutch Savage. But so much of that was Bonnema. 

@OSJ

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

For colour guys, surprised nobody brought up Regal.

Regal’s pretty great. He’s like a more intelligent sounding Dusty, with his tangents, and BSing. Dusty also great too, as when he got serious(see Windham Vs. Flair) he knew what he was talking about. But when he got silly, nobody was better. Even Heenan had trouble being funnier than Dusty during PPV’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I remember going to Summerslam 99 in Minneapolis and my tickets were $50 or $60.

My how times have changed.

I have a similar concern that I may not be able to afford going to WM again, but I know a bunch of you are going. How are any of you affording it, or are you all just getting tickets to WM and not messing around with any of these packages?

I'd love to go a midwest WM again, but I can't imagine spending $1500+ on tickets to Takeover, WM, Raw, etc.

22 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Plus, Slaughter could slot into the "blue-collar American with the value of hard work" slot against rich or entitled heels like Million Dollar Man. Slaughter as a face espousing the values of owing one's country as opposed to being a rich douchebag who feels that their country owes them would have been tremendous. 

The WWF wasn't that deep back then and if they were I'd much rather see Slaughter turn heel and form some sort of Military Industrial Complex stable with The Million Dollar Man and IRS.

For as hot as the feud with the Iron Sheik was Sarge was way better as a heel, both on the mic and in the ring. Had he stayed around he would have been perfect as the first of Hulk's buddies going heel angle, Slaughter getting on Hulk for not being tough enough, being a puke and most of all not being a "Real American" would have been hot.

• Like 1

Damn it missed it by a minute.  Anyway if true (big stretch):

1.  How would you know when Foxxy wasn't drunk given how crazy her current character is?

2.  We can confirm that Arn will be allowed to agent any indie show in the country

Edited by hammerva

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Most of the things I can't stand about Mauro were first the things I couldn't stand about Styles.

I've said this before, but Mauro feels like a super-positive version of Joey Styles.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I guess I should confess: I honestly don't really have love for Ventura. I mean, I don't think he was bad, but I'll take Bobby, Paul E, and Cornette over him before even having to consider.

And Bobby is way the fuck better than him to the point where I'm really confused by people who think it's even close.

I'm glad that I'm not totally alone in this... I always found Heenan funny with a wonderful sense of self-depreciation; he knew he was spouting BS and knew that you knew it too, and that was part of the charm. Ventura always just seemed annoying, particularly when making patently ridiculous claims about his physique. I saw plenty of Jesse in Portland and to say that he was less than good is a kindness. No, he wasn't the worst guy by any means, when you have Ed Leslie as Dizzy Hogan and Rip Oliver being Rip Oliver, that bottom of the barrel spot is pretty much safe. The East/West Connection with Adrian Adonis was a nice idea, but Ventura was completely incapable of carrying his end. So, yeah, this is all criticism of the guy as a wrestler, but this stuff all carries over when you consider his announcer gimmick was talking up his massive arms (which were clearly not larger than Superst*r Billy Graham's or Hogan's and similar nonsense). He turned out to be an okay character actor, but as both wrestler and announcer he was quite forgettable. 

1 hour ago, nate said:

If the planets align, I'm down for Mike Quackenbush being a PBP guy at some point in the future.

I announced with Quack in Chikara (sometimes on Quack's own matches), and he can call play-by-play and color very well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm glad that I'm not totally alone in this... I always found Heenan funny with a wonderful sense of self-depreciation; he knew he was spouting BS and knew that you knew it too, and that was part of the charm. Ventura always just seemed annoying, particularly when making patently ridiculous claims about his physique. I saw plenty of Jesse in Portland and to say that he was less than good is a kindness. No, he wasn't the worst guy by any means, when you have Ed Leslie as Dizzy Hogan and Rip Oliver being Rip Oliver, that bottom of the barrel spot is pretty much safe. The East/West Connection with Adrian Adonis was a nice idea, but Ventura was completely incapable of carrying his end. So, yeah, this is all criticism of the guy as a wrestler, but this stuff all carries over when you consider his announcer gimmick was talking up his massive arms (which were clearly not larger than Superst*r Billy Graham's or Hogan's and similar nonsense). He turned out to be an okay character actor, but as both wrestler and announcer he was quite forgettable. 

What kind of illuminati conspiracy bullshit is this, McMahon!?!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm glad that I'm not totally alone in this... I always found Heenan funny with a wonderful sense of self-depreciation; he knew he was spouting BS and knew that you knew it too, and that was part of the charm. 

Ultimately, though, that ties to the biggest difference between Heenan and Ventura's heel commentary...and in itself, how they could each play so well off of Monsoon.

With Heenan talking up the heels- you knew he was full of shit. Heenan knew he was full of shit. Heenan knew you knew he was full of shit. 

By contrast, with Ventura talking up the heels, he was a jerk, you knew he was a jerk...but most of the time when he was commentating the match, he'd always have at least one moment talking up the heel or talking down the babyface where you'd think "...he has a point..."

Now, tie this into Gorilla Monsoon's biggest weakness- he was the single biggest homer in all of commentary history. Take that infuriating, annoying announcer on your home team's network for their games, who is so fucking biased that one of the players could grab their bat, walk into the stands, and club a child over the head with it and the announcer would claim the child had it coming. Then turn that guy up to 11. That was Monsoon. 

As a result, you see how these slight differences changed the whole dynamic: Monsoon knew Heenan was full of it, he knew that Heenan was kind of just messing with him, and it ended up not just a good commentary team- but hell, one of the last great comedy duos.   With Ventura, on the other hand, it was Ventura just hammering into Monsoon's facade of "the heroes are all good, the villains are all evil, we have always been at war with Eastasia" and almost teaching kids the lesson "no, heroes are fallible too and villains may not be cartoonishly evil...but doing something wrong does not automatically make you a bad person...and at the same time, Mussolini making the trains run on time didn't change that he was...well, Mussolini.",

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is zero chance that Monsoon was one-one trillionth of the irrational, annoying homer that Hawk Harrelson is. @SorceressKnight, you take that back! You take that back right now!

(But I do agree that Heenan and Ventura were both great color commentators for entirely different reasons.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I remember going to Summerslam 99 in Minneapolis and my tickets were $50 or $60.

My how times have changed.

I have a similar concern that I may not be able to afford going to WM again, but I know a bunch of you are going. How are any of you affording it, or are you all just getting tickets to WM and not messing around with any of these packages?

I'd love to go a midwest WM again, but I can't imagine spending $1500+ on tickets to Takeover, WM, Raw, etc.

I got pretty decent seats for Mania for about $150 and the ROH MSG show the night before for about $130. I’ve gotten more selective with the shows I go to so if there’s a show I really want to see, I’ll limit myself at around $150. 

Guest Edwin
6 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Boat Cruise at Summerslam

BcJSb8I.jpg

Those prices aren't bad. Look at all includes and they are reasonable.

I think the Gold package is the best or at least would be the best to me as.

Edited by Edwin