DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would say the Sheepherders in Mid-South vs the Fantastics was loads better than the Crockett stuff. And Matt can put over their work in Portland. 

I saw at least one of these matches as well and wasn't impressed. 

I still haven't bought the Portland set, I just realized. Dammit, I bet my window has long passed. 

This is from the WON but I believe it is taken directly from what Prichard said on the podcast

Bruce Prichard's role with WWE and in the pecking order has been a bit overstated and that he's also a consultant and not on the writing team. Prichard and Conrad Thompson will continue their Something To Wrestle podcast.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Here's a fun topic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wrestling/wwe-superstars-salaries-revealed-including-14069375

The fact that Becky, arguably one of the biggest draws for this year's Mania, is making a quarter of Bray Wyatt is pretty inexcusable, even if she makes some of that up in merch.

What's inexcusable is that Jinder Fucking Mahal makes more money than Samoa Joe. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, nate said:

Becky : Regal :: Ronda : Goldberg, at this point.

I feel like you're insulting Goldberg at this point.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Also, if you've had the Network for the whole time it's been available, it's cost you $599.40 so far. Worth it?

I've had it since the second or third month and so far yes.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Here's a fun topic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wrestling/wwe-superstars-salaries-revealed-including-14069375

The fact that Becky, arguably one of the biggest draws for this year's Mania, is making a quarter of Bray Wyatt is pretty inexcusable, even if she makes some of that up in merch.

I lean towards this list being bullshit.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Repo Man is just totally underrated. Darsow's body movements and facial expressions and scummy laugh are just top-level goofy heelery. I like the Demos, don't get me wrong, but I think the degree of difficulty for pulling off the Repo Man gimmick is higher, and Darsow just kills it. Being a scary, immovable heel in paint and chains takes a certain gravitas, but I don't think it's as challenging to pull off as something as silly as Repo. 

And my support for this is that there were tons of dumb "day job" gimmicks in WWF in the mid-'90s, and most of them weren't pulled off with nearly the skill that Darsow pulled off Repo Man. That shit should have been dead in the water, but he got a couple of years out of it just because of his skill at embodying that character. 

Co-signed... and the theme music is excellent!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Repo Man is just totally underrated. Darsow's body movements and facial expressions and scummy laugh are just top-level goofy heelery. I like the Demos, don't get me wrong, but I think the degree of difficulty for pulling off the Repo Man gimmick is higher, and Darsow just kills it. Being a scary, immovable heel in paint and chains takes a certain gravitas, but I don't think it's as challenging to pull off as something as silly as Repo. 

And my support for this is that there were tons of dumb "day job" gimmicks in WWF in the mid-'90s, and most of them weren't pulled off with nearly the skill that Darsow pulled off Repo Man. That shit should have been dead in the water, but he got a couple of years out of it just because of his skill at embodying that character. 

Darsow did a really good job with Repo. I still wouldn't rank it above one of the most iconic Gimmicks in wrestling.

As great and fun as Christopher Walken is in Mouse Hunt, his Deer Hunter performance is still better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

So many edited posts. Sometimes the need for sleep is such a huge drawback.

It's gotta have something to do with the changes to the board. There's probably no more editing than normal. Just the message is showing up quicker now. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
There it is. I edit all the time and rarely get this.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Darsow did a really good job with Repo. I still wouldn't rank it above one of the most iconic Gimmicks in wrestling.

As great and fun as Christopher Walken is in Mouse Hunt, his Deer Hunter performance is still better. 

I think this is where we differ. I wouldn't liken the Demos to Deer Hunter. I'd liken the Demos to Christopher Walken in The Jungle Book; it's a nice replica of a past classic, just like the Demos were a nice replica of the Road Warriors. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's gotta have something to do with the changes to the board. There's probably no more editing than normal. Just the message is showing up quicker now. 

Yeah it just happened to me in the In Memoriam thread. So I guess I can relax now.

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Well, if Twitter feuds aren't important, then maybe I can re-focus us on the important topics in professional wrestling. So here follows my "Barry Darsow all-time gimmick power rankings:"

1. Repo Man

2. Demolition Smash

3. Pain Stewart/Mr. Hole-In-One 

4. Krusher Khruschev

5. Blacktop Bully

NR. Tsar Mongo (never seen him in this gimmick myself)

I would switch #1 and #2, although I love the Repo Man gimmick. The music is great, althought not better than Demolition's second theme. As a kid, I loved Repo sneaking around and his laugh. Of course, now I know he was doing his best impression of Frank Gorshin's Riddler. Darsow could have easily seen this a rib and half-ass the gimmick, like Terry Taylor with the Red Rooster. To his credit, he didn't and created something people look back as fondly on as Demolition.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I was going to post gimmick power rankings for Matt Bourne but I realize I haven't seen enough of his old stuff to judge. Good/Evil Doink were definitely two different selections and one of those characters I thought were complete corny bullshit back in the day but have since come to appreciate. I remember he and Mr.  Perfect had that series of matches to qualify for King of the Ring that were really good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if the Omnibus thread has ever been closed on the first day of the month? 

I know how to get this thread locked, but I'm not going to go there. Let's just say it involves Becky Lynch and a certain fetish. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Give Cody time.

Image result for cody rhodes president 2020

Vice President Burnard the Business Bear doesn't sound any more ridiculous than President Donald Trump.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

This thread got off the rails quick...I mean, how can anyone seriously put Repo Man over Demolotion Smash

Man if you thought there were some sexual S&M overtones to the Demolition gimmick as it was, adding Joey Ryan's lotion gimmick to it as well just amps it up. 

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Man if you thought there were some sexual S&M overtones to the Demolition gimmick as it was, adding Joey Ryan's lotion gimmick to it as well just amps it up. 

?

Put the lotion in the FUCKING basket!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Man if you thought there were some sexual S&M overtones to the Demolition gimmick as it was, adding Michael Nakazawa’s lotion gimmick to it as well just amps it up. 

?

FTFY 

• Like 1