DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

40 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Well, if Twitter feuds aren't important, then maybe I can re-focus us on the important topics in professional wrestling. So here follows my "Barry Darsow all-time gimmick power rankings:"

1. Repo Man

2. Demolition Smash

3. Pain Stewart/Mr. Hole-In-One 

4. Krusher Khruschev

5. Blacktop Bully

NR. Tsar Mongo (never seen him in this gimmick myself)

The lack of Khrusher Darsow, Minnesota backwoods man, devalues the list greatly. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Watching Holly Holm launch her head into next week and Amanda Nunes spank her like an unruly child are both well-worth your time and never get old. The main thing that Ronda is truly awful at is being a human being. She'll never be quite the worst, because after all, Matt Hughes and Conor are both still wasting oxygen, but she's right behind them.

Oh, I've seen her UFC fights. I just haven't seen any of her WWE stuff.

I will say that I don't expect much from any pro athlete in terms of goodness, especially in MMA, which has a certain, um, culture around it (honestly not unlike pro wrestling, or at least pro wrestling in the not-so-distant past). 

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh, I've seen her UFC fights. I just haven't seen any of her WWE stuff.

She's had some darn good matches though if you have time for just one I'd suggest her match on Raw against Natalya.  It was one of the first ones where it all called on-the-fly and Ronda's emotions throughout it all were really impressive.  So much so that I had to acknowledge it and felt awful after doing so.

As far as the Twitter war I'm reminded of Hogan's tweet where a shoot turns into a work and all that stuff.  It might finally make a bit of sense after all that's gone down.

• Like 1

WWe has put all of Wrestlemania 34 (Five hours) on their youtube channel, to celebrate 5 years of the Network. Is it worth watching?

Also, if you've had the Network for the whole time it's been available, it's cost you $599.40 so far. Worth it?

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWe has put all of Wrestlemania 34 (Five hours) on their youtube channel, to celebrate 5 years of the Network. Is it worth watching?

Also, if you've had the Network for the whole time it's been available, it's cost you $599.40 so far. Worth it?

The women's matches are both excellent and worth your time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Guest Edwin
38 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Name one Sandy Hook truther who isn't dumb as a box of rocks.

Eddie Bravo... Look into it...

Alright, that's enough of that as I don't want to derail the thread.

But yes, for someone with so little pro-wrestling experience as Ronda has, she's very good in the ring.

Also, yes, the WWE Network has been worth every penny for the amount of  on demand content available alone. It has such a variety of footage that you don't even have to be a fan of the modern product to enjoy it.

Edited by Edwin

We're fine! Everyone is backing away from that particular topic. Don't point it out so much that it continues to be discussed! 

Shit, now I'm part of the problem!

OK, I got it, I'll move to another topic:

All-Time Mike Shaw Gimmick Power Rankings

1. Norman the Lunatic

2. Makan Singh

3. Bastion Booger

4. Trucker Norm

5. Friar Ferguson

NR. Aaron Grundy. I've only seen like two Solomon Grundy matches and they didn't include Mike Shaw. 

Also, Bastion Booger is #3 if only because of his "it's so bad and thrown together and shitty that I kind of enjoy it" theme:

Between I'M DA BOOGA MAN and randomly splicing Mike Shaw's bad case of sleep apnea into the theme every ten seconds, this is some all-time-great patently awful theme music. 

• Like 1

Here's a fun topic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wrestling/wwe-superstars-salaries-revealed-including-14069375

The fact that Becky, arguably one of the biggest draws for this year's Mania, is making a quarter of Bray Wyatt is pretty inexcusable, even if she makes some of that up in merch.

Edited by Godfrey

14 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Here's a fun topic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wrestling/wwe-superstars-salaries-revealed-including-14069375

The fact that Becky, arguably one of the biggest draws for this year's Mania, is making a quarter of Bray Wyatt is pretty inexcusable, even if she makes some of that up in merch.

If that's legit, there's a shitstorm a comin'!

That's probably all guaranteed downsides, not counting WWE's Merch deal which is very very good.  But yeah, people aren't going to make that distinction.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

At least Randy didn't floss.

49 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Eddie Bravo... Look into it...

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a flat earther isn't dumb as fuck.

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I watched that Hacksaw Jim Duggan/Ted DiBiase cage match from Mid-South that someone posted in the monthly discussion thread, and man, I just cannot get into Hacksaw at all, even in Mid-South. He's just such an irritating face, and his heel work is fine, but not anything that I'm into. The only thing that Hacksaw has been a part of that I've really enjoyed because of him in any part was in the gorilla suit incident in Mid-South, which was and is amazing. 

I feel like this about the Bushwhackers as well. After hearing plenty of times that they were an awesome tag team as the Sheepherders, I saw their NWA stuff and felt like they had mediocre matches with teams like the Fantastics, and the Fantastics were incredibly good in late-'80s NWA. Maybe my experience with their less-impressive stuff has just poisoned them too much for me. 

This thread got off the rails quick...I mean, how can anyone seriously put Repo Man over Demolotion Smash?! 

Also, on an unrelated sidenote: WCW Starrcade Battlebowl 1991 is among the worst PPVs I've ever seen. It's ten awful Tag matches followed by an even worse Battle Royal. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

This thread got off the rails quick...I mean, how can anyone seriously put Repo Man over Demolotion Smash?! 

Also, on an unrelated sidenote: WCW Starrcade Battlebowl 1991 is among the worst PPVs I've ever seen. It's ten awful Tag matches followed by an even worse Battle Royal. 

Repo Man is just totally underrated. Darsow's body movements and facial expressions and scummy laugh are just top-level goofy heelery. I like the Demos, don't get me wrong, but I think the degree of difficulty for pulling off the Repo Man gimmick is higher, and Darsow just kills it. Being a scary, immovable heel in paint and chains takes a certain gravitas, but I don't think it's as challenging to pull off as something as silly as Repo. 

And my support for this is that there were tons of dumb "day job" gimmicks in WWF in the mid-'90s, and most of them weren't pulled off with nearly the skill that Darsow pulled off Repo Man. That shit should have been dead in the water, but he got a couple of years out of it just because of his skill at embodying that character. 

• Like 5

Perhaps it should have been ten battle royals instead. Oh god, I'm giving indy promoters ideas. The winner of all 10 compete in.....a battle royal! This all in one night. Winner gets sent to an island to wrestle Simon Inoki out in the Pacific for 3 hours.

Edited by Ryan

15 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I watched that Hacksaw Jim Duggan/Ted DiBiase cage match from Mid-South that someone posted in the monthly discussion thread, and man, I just cannot get into Hacksaw at all, even in Mid-South. He's just such an irritating face, and his heel work is fine, but not anything that I'm into. The only thing that Hacksaw has been a part of that I've really enjoyed because of him in any part was in the gorilla suit incident in Mid-South, which was and is amazing. 

I feel like this about the Bushwhackers as well. After hearing plenty of times that they were an awesome tag team as the Sheepherders, I saw their NWA stuff and felt like they had mediocre matches with teams like the Fantastics, and the Fantastics were incredibly good in late-'80s NWA. Maybe my experience with their less-impressive stuff has just poisoned them too much for me. 

I would say the Sheepherders in Mid-South vs the Fantastics was loads better than the Crockett stuff. And Matt can put over their work in Portland.