DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I should watch some Ronda Rousey in-ring stuff because all I know of her wrestling career is what I see posted here, and she seems patently fucking awful at everything pro wrestling outside of the ring. Just like a total negative with Al Perez-level charisma and speaking chops. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hey, don't forget she's also transphobic and just a generally awful human being

I'll see your valid critique of this piece of literal human waste product and I'll counter with...

Spoiler

"Iron Circle match"???????

Oh yes, I know you want it to0.

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I should watch some Ronda Rousey in-ring stuff because all I know of her wrestling career is what I see posted here, and she seems patently fucking awful at everything pro wrestling outside of the ring. Just like a total negative with Al Perez-level charisma and speaking chops. 

She's actually really good at a certain convincing style of promo I might call "dumb jock loses temper and spouts useless athletic slogans until they lose control and commit a violent crime" probably because she's spent her life memorizing stupid athletic slogans and committing violent crimes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This reminds me once again of why I don't use twitter.

As someone who doesn't follow MMA, how much of a work was the beef the fighters would have with eachother prior to matches?

Depends. Sometimes it's forced for money/buyrates/attention and once the fight's over, hugs are given. There are other times fighters really don't like one another.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You would have to either not follow anyone wrestling related and/or block/mute the accounts since they would get retweeted so many times

So similar to trying to ignore someone on this board

Always worth trying, in both instances.

Guest Edwin
21 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This reminds me once again of why I don't use twitter.

As someone who doesn't follow MMA, how much of a work was the beef the fighters would have with eachother prior to matches?

What @The Natural, however the majority of the time is them playing pro-wrestler and just wanting to sell PPV's. Rarely ever its people who don't like each other.

Ronda, being the miserable human being she is, actually didn't like a lot of people and brought into her own hype. That's why her get getting "olé'd" by Holly Holm playing Spanish bullfighter with her seconds before she got her teeth kicked in and then seeing Amanda Nunes making her do the Bayley buddy dance are glorious moments in MMA history.

Edited by Edwin

Guest Edwin

We need some Kevin Owens & Tommaso Ciampa vs. Sami Zayn & Johnny Gargano matches whenever #DIY move up to the main roster full time. Those pairings are tied together forever.

Edited by Edwin
Typos galore!

I'm friends with a bunch of conspiracy nuts. It's part and parcel with the internet. The movie and television industry has tapped into the conspiracy market for years now. Sandy Hook is certainly an extreme case, as is the 2017 Vegas shooting. Transparency is imperative in deterring the cynical mind. Like it or not we are being conditioned to question things. If you're regurgitating the official narrative of every news story something is wrong with you. 

Anyway Ronda is like top 3 in the women's division and if we're taking into account she didn't get the opportunity to hone her craft like the rest of the women in developmental, she's had the best rookie year ever. Twitter is whatever, lighten up.

Edited by Rick

The other thing with MMA promos, is that sometimes they start out with both guys intending to work it as an angle, but then one crosses some sort of line and it turns into shoot hate. Often involving Conor McGregor because he has no concept of what 'too far' is (possibly he's a massive racist, possibly he thinks it's OK to pretend to be a massive racist to sell tickets and PPV buys).

Michael Bisping was a good talker who would always do promos on his opponent and then be friends after, except when he fought Jorge Rivera, because Rivera thought it would be a good idea to make fun of Bisping's wife and kids.

There was an old UFC thing where they used to have a title fight, and then the next challenger would get in the cage and do a face off with whoever won. They stopped doing it after GSP told Matt Hughes he was not impressed with his performance. It was funny because he was trying to play heel but he's really polite and respectful while trying to disrespect. But they brought it back just for Brock, because Brock lives by Brock's rules.

• Like 1

Well, if Twitter feuds aren't important, then maybe I can re-focus us on the important topics in professional wrestling. So here follows my "Barry Darsow all-time gimmick power rankings:"

1. Repo Man

2. Demolition Smash

3. Pain Stewart/Mr. Hole-In-One 

4. Krusher Khruschev

5. Blacktop Bully

NR. Tsar Mongo (never seen him in this gimmick myself)

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
2 minutes ago, AxB said:

The other thing with MMA promos, is that sometimes they start out with both guys intending to work it as an angle, but then one crosses some sort of line and it turns into shoot hate. Often involving Conor McGregor because he has no concept of what 'too far' is (possibly he's a massive racist, possibly he thinks it's OK to pretend to be a massive racist to sell tickets and PPV buys).

And that's why Khabib pushing his diarrhea in while shouting in his face "Let's talk now! Let's talk now!" while punching him in the face with ground & pound was another glorious MMA moment.

Trash talking in MMA is fine, but as you mentioned, sometimes dudes work themselves into a shoot and it's a disaster. Also, a lot of them are just ripping off old Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair promos anyway.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Ya'll could just not follow Becky or Ronda on Twitter, you know. 

Wait... You mean people look for this stuff on purpose?

55 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Watching Holly Holm launch her head into next week and Amanda Nunes spank her like an unruly child are both well-worth your time and never get old. The main thing that Ronda is truly awful at is being a human being. She'll never be quite the worst, because after all, Matt Hughes and Conor are both still wasting oxygen, but she's right behind them.

3 minutes ago, nate said:

I feel as if he's omitting a major staple of his morning routine ...

From the silly look on his face I think he has that one covered.

• Haha 2

The thought of this potential exchange makes my day:

"So, Dana, we're excited to have you bring a female perspective to things. Do you have any questions?"

"I'm excited, too! I've had such a positive experience as an ambassador the last few years! Yes, so, what's the biggest issue right now going into Wrestlemania?"

"We're glad you asked. Are you on twitter?"

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

I will give Ronda credit for going with the ONE dig at Becky that probably grinds her gears the most and that was her NXT Irish stereotype gimmick that she had for about a month.   Fuck that was awful

That it was. Sadder and more to the point, the company is run by an Irish-American from North Kakalakkee.