DVDVR Message Board

March Madness isn't coming back.... HOWEVER....

RIPPA

I think you all way over interpreted the "known" part or at least forgot the brackets from at least the years I ran March Madness.

Anyway - I hope to start today but today is also fucking crazy so we shall see.

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is especially cutting given your appreciation for Randy Orton. ? 

Let me clarify something, the Randy Orton that I appreciate is an ideal, a vision that we rarely get to see. What we usually get is bored to tears Randy going through the motions. I'll stand by my claim that a motivated Randy Orton is a top-5 NA talent, if not top-5 worldwide. It's been years since WWE has known what to do with him and it's puzzling, because their forte is taking a person's basic characteristics and ratcheting them up to "10". Randy Orton is the best natural, technically proficient heel since Barry Windham, I know lots of us have watched far too much face-Barry, and remember him as an even more adept Dustin Rhodes, but heel-Barry was a thing of beauty. He was totally contemptuous of his opponents, he knew he was better than anyone else not named Flair, and that even that was open to some argument. He was just dripping with arrogance and smug superiority. Randy Orton can do all that as well as Windham and were he not so damn fragile, we might be talking about him as the best of the last twenty years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread has already paid big dividends, I have a list of Northeast guys to check out, most of whom I've never heard of, I was turned on to the brilliance that is Vikingo, and several women in the UK and elsewhere that I need to see more of. Well done, peeps!

Now, let me talk for just a moment on the secondary treasure that this thread opened up, that is to say the revitalization of certain wrestlers. How many of us had thought about Low Ki in years? Apparently the dude is just tearing it up and good for him! How many of us have sought out any LA Park footage in the last few years? The dude has to be pushing fifty and if anything, he's gotten even better!!! Yes, Tessa Blanchard is damn near omnipresent, and that's really not a bad thing, it's pretty early to make this bold of a statement, but I will anyway... I think that she has the potential to be the best wrestler that her family has produced and that's coming from a guy that saw some of Joe, almost all of Tully and has been watching Tessa closely. 

WALTER: Most of us knew that WALTER was the hoss that we all wanted Braunschweiger Sandwich to be, and those who haven't seen him no longer have any excuse. Keep him in NXT-UK, far, far away from the main roster where he'd be reduced to stealing pancakes from the New Day or watching Shane jump off of tall objects or some such shit. We just need WALTER and Pete Dunne to go around the horn beating the beejeezus out of each other for the next year or so. I really like the idea of casting Dunne as the defacto face due to the huge size differential. Irresistible force/immovable object, y'all get the idea. 

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Let me clarify something, the Randy Orton that I appreciate is an ideal, a vision that we rarely get to see. What we usually get is bored to tears Randy going through the motions. I'll stand by my claim that a motivated Randy Orton is a top-5 NA talent, if not top-5 worldwide. It's been years since WWE has known what to do with him and it's puzzling, because their forte is taking a person's basic characteristics and ratcheting them up to "10". Randy Orton is the best natural, technically proficient heel since Barry Windham, I know lots of us have watched far too much face-Barry, and remember him as an even more adept Dustin Rhodes, but heel-Barry was a thing of beauty. He was totally contemptuous of his opponents, he knew he was better than anyone else not named Flair, and that even that was open to some argument. He was just dripping with arrogance and smug superiority. Randy Orton can do all that as well as Windham and were he not so damn fragile, we might be talking about him as the best of the last twenty years.

I was taking an easy swipe because low-hanging fruit is tempting. I actually agree with most of this. Orton vs AJ stands a chance of being real fun and a highlight of AJ's time in WWE.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, EVA said:

This board weirdly hates Callihan.

We do?  Sami's heel stables have effectively carried the mid-cards of MLW and IMPACT.  

People should be throwing virgins at this man's feet.

• Like 1

Oh, another nomination: some of the guys in OWE. I don’t know their names outside of CIMA and T-Hawk but their hybrid of Lucha and a Golden Harvest movie is interesting. Feels like some of them could break out once AEW gets running.

I plan on doing something with all the guys I pick at the end of each week.

I will also move folks to the Of The Day folder after a while

No set number in my mind of how many I do in a day/week

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I plan on doing something with all the guys I pick at the end of each week.

I will also move folks to the Of The Day folder after a while

No set number in my mind of how many I do in a day/week

Not to blow smoke but so far this is all fantastic.  It still has the information and matches worth checking out minus the bickering and yelling that plagued many a March Madness.  So thank you for this and it appears I have some "homework" to do.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, OSJ said:

Even bored to tears Randy going through the motions is still a far, far better talent than a lot of people get to see, though.

Randy Orton is the Zen master of the modern koan of pro wrestling:

"A truly talented heel performer will inevitably get cheered for how good at their job they are, which will make them in turn a terrible heel.

A truly terrible performer who is incredibly inept at their job will get booed for how inept they are, which will in turn make them one of the most hated heels in the company."

More than anyone else in the company, Randy Orton is able to get the perfect middle path of the road to heeldom: He is bland and boring in the ring, but he never feels INEPT in the ring. You always inherently know in a Randy Orton match he knows exactly what he's doing, he could absolutely put on a more exciting match...but he won't, and he's not doing it because he knows that will piss you off and you'll hate him for it. 

There's only a few other wrestlers who feel like they GET THAT, and Randy Orton's still head and shoulders above them.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, DreamBroken said:

--

Outside of Impact, I'd throw a mention to Andy Dalton, Barrett Brown, and Thunder Rosa as far as killing it on the indys everywhere.

Andy Dalton and Barrett Brown are great. Watched them have a great match against each other back in November.

A few TX/LA/MS  Indy talent ...

Rey Fury,he is just starting his 5th year. Works all over the south and keeps improving.

Vordell Walker,the best person working the southern indies.

Danny Chance a younger TX guy. Good in the ring. Connects with the fans.

Edited by bobholly138
  • Like 1

Okay - I start catching up today. Got sick over the weekend and had zero motivation.

I am also updating the very first post with links to everyone who gets picked.

• Like 1

This first 10 have been moved to their own sub forum in Defunct Side Projects

The first post in this thread has been updated with all the links

The database crashes yesterday ruined my posts for yesterday so I will start back to work today