DVDVR Message Board

March Madness isn't coming back.... HOWEVER....

RIPPA

MICRO MAN!!!

NGD are great pick for this, as I think most people who don't follow mexican wrestling aren't even aware of them, or have only seen them on Fantastic Mania.

As the highest (and only) vote on Demus in GWE poll I have to give him a shout out. He had great 2 years since escaping CMLL minis hell, mixing it up with some "regular" sized opponents. It's still indy lucha, so not for everyone, but if somone likes gritty, bloody brawls in tiny, often seedy places his work is definietly worth checking out.

From the looks of it, this feels like it will be an NIT/CBI type of tournament where the mid-table Power 5 bubble teams would be represented by 205 Live/NXT UK along with mid-major teams (Indies, everyone not in NJPW/WWE main roster) that were overlooked by a 19-15 Syracuse type team.

I second the Kylie Rae nomination. I saw her in AAW and she was by far the best wrestler in a tag match with Kimber Lee, Jessika Havoc, and Scarlett Bordeaux. She has a great connection with the audience as a baby face. 

• Like 2

I've been meaning to watch some Ashley Vox and Kris Statlander and just haven't gotten around to it. 

Lucha is weird. I haven't seen as many NGD matches as someone who watched as much lucha as I did a few years ago should have, but on the other hand, I have seen zero of Atlantis' kid (or the Fuerza Guerrera legacies) and this would prompt me to see how they are coming along. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:12 AM, Dewar said:

Hijo del Vikingo is someone everyone needs to see.

These are the truest words anyone has ever posted. I was up until 5AM watching this guy. He's a flyer, but he's in no way a flippy-flop guy (which is something I cannot abide), when he goes airborne it makes perfect sense in the context of the match. For being as young as he appears to be (I'd guess early 20s), he has an impeccable sense of story-telling that most guys never quite get. Every match is a different story that needs to be told, sure, there are lots of similarities, but every match is a new story, and he gets it.

I'm not sure if I'm included in the 4 that watch Impact, but I do and Hijo del Vikingo was fun to watch during the Mexico shows. I'm also on the Tessa train and I think more people should watch, since she's really got her work and character down pat. I have a hard time watching WoW though.

Any Jordynne Grace recommendations would be appreciated but I'm sure if she would count or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I hadn't heard of Vikingo before this, but I just watched one match, and I already want to see more from him.

Youtube and a thermos of coffee can be your friends in this regard. I don't recall the last time that I had so much fun watching a guy that had been completely off my radar. Dude is the goods. 

For Tessa fans and those that will become Tessa fans (that is to say anyone that watches her), the ONLY WAY to watch is with the sound off so that you don't have to hear David McLane screech like a demented baboon, I swear that the fucktard has spent the last thirty years trying to figure out how to get worse, it simply has to be deliberate.

Well, you could just watch her matches on Impact, or the one at All In (there's a bootleg on YouTube that's been there for months, if you're refusing to get NJPW World or use Fite TV).

• Like 1

I support all the nods to Impact that have been mentioned.

Tessa Blanchard is indeed greatness everywhere
Sami Callihan has probably got the most hyped stuff coming out of the past year of Impact. oVe (Jake especially can be a real highlight reel)
Rich Swann is someone I couldn't stand in WWE  but he's won me over and excelled in Impact with great high flying matches and shining in the story driven stuff as well.
Moose I think has consistently delivered in the big matches for the last several years, also delivering fantastic character work.
Eli Drake as mentioned is definitely always one to watch.
Agreed that Hijo del Vikingo was a highlight of the episodes he was on.
I'd also throw in Taiji Ishimori, Matt Sydal, and Eddie Edwards who all have done great work over the past couple years of Impact.

Not that they'd necessarily fit to be included but Austin Aries despite how his Impact run ended, was doing some real excellent work prior to that and Johnny Impact has done very well as the ace lately and had a bunch of highlights earlier in his run as well. Just wanted to mention as many highights for anyone included in the not watching Impact camp.

--

Outside of Impact, I'd throw a mention to Andy Dalton, Barrett Brown, and Thunder Rosa as far as killing it on the indys everywhere.

• Like 1

This board weirdly hates all Deathmatch promoters. Look at the negative influence thread. Ian Rotten and John Zandig both got more votes than Jerry Lawler, even though both men would be footnotes at best in the Encyclopedia of Pro Wrestling, and Lawler would have his own chapter. And he's an utter sleazebag.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

This board weirdly hates all Deathmatch promoters. Look at the negative influence thread. Ian Rotten and John Zandig both got more votes than Jerry Lawler, even though both men would be footnotes at best in the Encyclopedia of Pro Wrestling, and Lawler would have his own chapter. And he's an utter sleazebag.

look, i love deathmatches, but ian rotten is The Definition Of Indy Sleaze. if people want to yell at Ian Rotten for being Ian Rotten, I'm not going to stop them. Unless they're going to say he never did anything good in the ring, at which point I am going to point them towards that one match he had with Tarek The Great that's fundamentally a BattlArts match.

as for the thread itself, I am interested to see where it goes because I have noooooo attachment to modern wrasslin outside of Puma King and Joey Janela, so if I come away from this liking a few more wrestlers I'll be stoked.

14 hours ago, EVA said:

This board weirdly hates Callihan.

Okay, I'll bite! Since he first started getting super-hyped on the indies some years back I made it a point to chase down Sami Callihan matches. I have to say that I was unimpressed and this hasn't really changed much, yeah, he's a tough little bastard and quite capable of working a brutal match, but he just leaves me cold. I don't dislike his work per se, he just bores me to tears, I could care less whether or not I ever see another Sami Callihan match and that's not the reaction that anyone in the business is going for. This is fundamentally worse than not liking his work, if I don't like something, it means that there are at least particulars to discuss and I may change my position as I look at things with a fresh viewpoint. In Callihans case, I simply don't care what he does.

• Like 4

James Drake for me (not the guy from Evolve). Improved leaps and bounds since his TV debut at the first UK tournament in 2017. Proven to be an excellent tag worker this past year. Stole the show at Takeover. 

I'd pick Zack Gibson too but he's quite well known and would probably win this at a canter.

Edited by Rick

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

James Drake for me (not the guy from Evolve). Improved leaps and bounds since his TV debut at the first UK tournament in 2017. Proven to be an excellent tag worker this past year. Stole the show at Takeover. 

I'd pick Zack Gibson too but he's quite well known and would probably win this at a canter.

I was seriously concerned for a second there.

Drake still seems like the significantly lesser of the two in that team though, but Gibson is pretty darn good.