DVDVR Message Board

March Madness isn't coming back.... HOWEVER....

RIPPA

In terms of character work, MJF is the best young guy out there. Pretty skillful in the ring too. David Starr (bit of a low key board favourite already) is also a great character, good worker and has the greatest ring entrance ever.

• Like 4

I don't think anyone mentioned L.A. Park. I'll do that.

WALTER is a definite for me.

I've been loving Low Ki in MLW but he's pretty well known, although I assume many haven't thought about him in a while.

Some of the AJPW & affiliated folks need some love, although I'm not sure who is most deserving.  Doering really surprised me last time I saw him, Ishikawa is prone to overkill but does some things I like, etc.

Jun Kasai is a mad man yet I can't look away.

I don't know if it would be fair to nominate current Great Sasuke just for his annual end of year madness, but...

Barrington Hughes should be included simply because he is beautiful.

7 minutes ago, username said:

I was thinking of mentioning LA Park, but didn't because of his WCW run. LA Park has been pretty awesome in MLW. I'd like to see the Hart Foundation vs. LA Park & El Hijo de LA Park. I'm looking forward to LA Park vs. Mance Warner. MLW is my first exposure to Warner and I want to see a lot more of him. I've since watched some CZW clips of his.

I'll throw in my favorites from the Ontario/Quebec indies: Josh Alexander, Brent Banks, Tarik, Tyson Dux, TDT, Mike Bailey, Psycho Mike, Kobe Durst, Space Monkey, Matt Angel and Mark Wheeler. Smash Wrestling, Alpha-1, C4, Destiny Wrestling, NSPW, Superkick'd and Greektown Wrestling are all feds worth checking out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Momo Watanabe, Hazuki, Mayu Iwantani, Kagetsu, Jungle Kyona, Chihiro Hashimoto, & Takumi Iroha are all names people should watch more of.

Just going off of her Stardom work she isn't one I would really name. I could see that changing 1-2 years from now.

Not on your list, but I've been tracking down any and everything Hiroyo Matsumoto on YouTube. She really impressed me during the Mae Young Classic last year.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, username said:

I've been loving Low Ki in MLW but he's pretty well known, although I assume many haven't thought about him in a while.

Jun Kasai is a mad man yet I can't look away.

Those are some pretty known names that I'm sure 99% of the board has heard of.

I'mma second Gresham. His tag match with Liger against Robbie Eagles and Taiji Ishimori is ridiclously fun.

I assume ZSJ is too high up on the roster to include him at this point?

I'll pimp Jake Atlas as well. He had an excellent match with B-Boy at the beginning of last year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I'll throw my favorites from the Ontario/Quebec indies: Josh Alexander, Brent Banks, Tarik, Tyson Dux, TDT, Mike Bailey, Psycho Mike, Kobe Durst, Space Monkey, Matt Angel and Mark Wheeler. Smash Wrestling, Alpha-1, C4, Destiny Wrestling, NSPW, Superkick'd and Greektown Wrestling are all feds worth checking out.

Some really good calls there. I was thinking about throwing Tyson Dux's name out there.

Of the "Buffalo Boys" in the Ontario/Quebec scene, I'll add "Red Death" Daniel Garcia and Kevin Blackwood.

17 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Those are some pretty known names that I'm sure 99% of the board has heard of.

They are well known of and I admit would be borderline because of that, but I question how much of their current work is as known.  Park is probably the iffiest of the bunch but as noted I assume many haven't tracked down a Ki match in several years and he's still legit pretty great.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some really good calls there. I was thinking about throwing Tyson Dux's name out there.

Of the "Buffalo Boys" in the Ontario/Quebec scene, I'll add "Red Death" Daniel Garcia and Kevin Blackwood.

Not that high on Blackwood yet, tries to do too much stuff he's not that good at but he'll get there. Red Death is really good already and I have high hopes for both of them when they get back from their car crash. Pepper Parks has trained a pretty decent group of guys in Buffalo, they've been great at filling out Smash's smaller shows and other indies. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not on your list, but I've been tracking down any and everything Hiroyo Matsumoto on YouTube. She really impressed me during the Mae Young Classic last year.

I'm behind on many things in joshi, Matsumoto included. If you haven't yet ans can find it I suggest checking out her tag titles match with Kyona against Kairi and Yoko Bito from Stardom in March 2017.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Not that high on Blackwood yet, tries to do too much stuff he's not that good at but he'll get there. Red Death is really good already and I have high hopes for both of them when they get back from their car crash. Pepper Parks has trained a pretty decent group of guys in Buffalo, they've been great at filling out Smash's smaller shows and other indies. 

From what I've seen, mostly comedy matches, I like Puf as well.

Just to throw in a few BritWres names:

Cara Noir is definitely too far under the radar, even in the UK. Great gimmick, tremendous wrestler, great look, honestly don't know why he isn't everywhere in this country. His match against Mike Bailey from Riptide is in YouTube and is very very good.

Beano is one of many great wrestlers coming out of Wales trained by Wild Boar, he's been making waves in Chaos and GOOD Wrestling, but again a guy who deserves way more eyes.

Gene Munny should just be a comedy worker (his ring name is Sexual Gammon, his finisher is the Ainsley Lariat, his ring music is Baker Street), but he's developed into a really neat worker.

3 hours ago, username said:

WALTER is a definite for me.

Haven't seen a Low-Ki match in years.

12 hours ago, username said:

I am intrigued by this new, considerably-less-asshole Ki that I'm hearing of.

Sweet, I really enjoyed the nomination process in the past.

Tyler Bateman is someone I've enjoyed when I've seen him.  He was working a Bill the Butcher gimmick for a while there but he's modified it somewhat from what I have seen in the last couple clips I've seen.  He works strike heavy and I like his selling which is somewhat Terry Funk-esque in that he doesn't just bump and sell being wobbly but will throw in neat touches like selling by checking his teeth and the side of his neck.  He can be a bit tied to a formula but he doesn't go over the top with near falls and high spots.  I've seen him a lot on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood which you can see on the Fite TV ap.

Arik Royal has also been a pleasure for me to enjoy primarily seeing him on CWF Mid Atlantic.  I like his stooging and mouthing with the crowd.  He works really well up and down the card and I look at him in the mold of an Arn Anderson.  He's got some bad habits that I don't like (when he misses a charge, he's really obvious about it being a miss based on his speed) but he's super enjoyable in short and long doses.

I'll finish off with the Dawson Brothers (Zane and Dave) who seem to work in the Carolinas and also make frequent CWF Mid Atlantic stops.  They're just a big hoss tag team that won't blow you away with high spots or near falls.  But they've got nice clean thug characters and would make a great tag team in the right stable.  They don't do anything to pop the crowd, are pure heels and good bases for a fired up face comeback.     

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kris Wolf?

Unless she greatly improved in Europe I would say no. Natsu Sumire over the past year has done better work in Oedo Tai tags than Wolf did, and I didn't name Sumire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, RIPPA said:

Like would I pick Eli Drake? He is on a weekly TV show that I think less than 10 people on this board watch

It's honestly a shame that more people don't watch Impact. More specifically, it's a shame Piranesi doesn't watch Impact, because Moose fashion watch would be even more esoteric than the Batista version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'll second the love for Allin, WALTER, Thatcher and Gresham and throw out a nomination to Scotty Davis. Ireland based kid who is already ridiculously good at 18 years old. The future is very bright for him. Also Aussie Open is a really fun tag team.

Someone or two mentioned Miyahara. Am I'm being too flip in saying "every TC match he's been in, plus the CC final with Marufuji?"

Just this year, he's had two big singles matches (with KAI on 1-3 and Suwama on 2-24) and they are both incredible. The two Marufuji matches last year, and the two Zeus matches are all four absolute most see stuff.