DVDVR Message Board

Fighting With My Family

Zakk_Sabbath

Anyone see this thing? Tried to find a thread in both the movie folder and wrestling folder but didn't see anything, so my apologies if this is redundant.

Decent enough flick with a lot of creative liberties taken. Definitely had Rock's finger prints all over it, making it wrestling-centric but palatable for mainstream audiences

For example, when Paige is explaining to one of the new girls at NXT what a receipt is. It's a bit clumsy but that piece of dialogue was a great way to smarten up anyone who doesn't know. Also, the blind kid made me almost cry twice

The guy behind us in the theater had a Braun Strowman shirt on and laughed at my "I heard the sequel's wild" joke on the way out, so that made it worth the $5 Tuesday price of admission.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What's the deal with Zelina as AJ? Did they not want to spring for attire that looks more AJ-ish? Do they actually use AJ's name? 

They do use AJ's name multiple times, and I got the impression that Zelina was trying to mimic AJ's speech patterns (but could be wrong about that).

Was very surprised that the phrase "sex tape" was spoken in the movie, even though it has nothing to do with Paige.

They use AJ's name, music, everything but her clothes. It's actually weird because we don't see any other actual people from WWE/NXT outside some old clips.

It was definitely pushing the outsider narrative hard at the expense of reality (by the time she was called up in real life, the NXT women's division had Sasha, Bayley, Emma, Charlotte... Definitely not just random dancers) but it works as a movie. It's the kind of normal fudging of facts (at least it's not Bohemian Rhapsody claiming Queen hadn't played together in years before Live Aid, when in reality they had finished a world tour 8 weeks prior)

14 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

??  Rock, Big Show, Sheamus, Miz, and Cena are all in the movie.

I totally forgot about the Sheamus/Show scene, but I still have no recollection of Miz or Cena being in it. I didn't count Rock because everyone already knew he was in it.

But my real point was the characters she's around are all made up people.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was just footage from the actual episode of RAW, though I guess it's possible they recreated is instead for some reason.

I think it's the real footage too because there's a continuity error where Cena comes out on the older Raw set and then when Paige enters it's on the modern day set.

I was wondering if maybe by making Zelina not use AJ's gear they were either prepared to either edit her name out if necessary (for legal reasons, creative reasons, or otherwise) and go with someone fictional or generic, or if maybe they wanted to do a variation on the fake Diesel/Razor-esque thing of them owning the "character" of AJ Lee but having it not be the real life likeness of the woman who was on WWE TV. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the idea of having Zelina not wearing AJ's actual attire was to fit the narrative of "Paige wasn't like any other Diva/women's wrestler in WWE at the time, she was unique".

That's a pretty fair point. AJ kinda ticked off a lot of the "anti-diva" stuff before Paige did.

Even then, it is one of the weaknesses with trying to sell how unique Paige was, making wrestling fans themselves look bad.

Through most of the time we see NXT action, the overarching plot seemed to also say "the NXT fans and WWE fans didn't know what to make of Paige and hated her for not 'fitting the mold' of a WWE Diva", with Paige being booed hoarse at the show while the Divas got cheered, up to the Raw she debuted at still having fans not know the story.

Any fan who was there at the time knows it was the exact opposite: It was love at first sight for the NXT audience and it was that huge reaction that, in large part, helped things change over. (How much of that would also have to talk about the fact that Paige and Saraya Knight were starting to make in-roads onto the American independent scene before Paige signed may or may not have had something to do with that, to boot.) 

I saw the movie Saturday in Florida while visiting family. About 20-25 people in the theater -- seems as if everyone there enjoyed themselves. Audience really liked the scene where Ricky Knight clubs the wrestler with the trash can lid and bowling ball, as well as the bit where Big Show and Sheamus argue over hot dogs.

• Maybe it's me, but I had a hard time believing Vince Vaughn as the trainer/agent/WWE guy of all trades. By Hollywood standards, he came off more as middle-age office management -- WWE recruited himself straight out of, say, Price Waterhouse. Perhaps someone who had more of an athletic background as the trainer/agent? Honestly, I was waiting to see the Vaughn character take a bump.
  • I didn't have too much of an issue with Zelina essentially playing AJ while dressed as, well, Zelina. Vega did a decent job trying to get AJ's vocal inflections and mannerisms down (think she skipped a bit as she was introduced on the ramp), and she played the stereotypical heel down to a T. Seeing her in interviews, she seems like someone who gives it 150% in everything she does. Hope she gets more chances in Hollywood. But given that AJ was the "anti-diva" before Paige, perhaps they could have used creative license and have Paige beat a fictitious wrestler in the movie?
  • The Hollywood sports underdog story usually consists of our hero, the underdog, being introduced with deaf ears by the fans, so it didn't bother me that much.
  • Didn't realize until seeing the credits that Tessa Blanchard did Florence Pugh's stunts in the wrestling scenes.

For UK people, the original documentary from 2012 is back on 4OD for the next few weeks. Possibly it'll also be an extra on the DVD or Blu Ray of the movie in a few months, copyright permitting. You'd think it would be, anyway.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

For UK people, the original documentary from 2012 is back on 4OD for the next few weeks. Possibly it'll also be an extra on the DVD or Blu Ray of the movie in a few months, copyright permitting. You'd think it would be, anyway.

That makes me wonder if I should the documentary before seeing the movie.  I know they used a lot of creative license for the movie but I wonder how much the core story matches up with what really happened.  Or should I just see the movie first.

The original documentary is the 5th result if you search Fighting With My Family on YouTube. Watched it about a week ago, and I'm still confused as to how anyone thought her brother was actually going to be signed by WWE.

People from Norfolk aren't really renowned for being in touch with reality. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The original Documentary is being shown the station/channel TUBI. If you own a ROKU just add it or it might already be in your stations queue.
I haven't watched WWE's version of this DOCUMEMTARY- as I really feel no need to after watch her ACTUAL LIFE  unfold within opening and ending credits during this flick. I just happened upon it one late night while I was bored outta my mind, searching for anything that'd either kill my insomnia or keep me interested until daylight.

The only information I knew about the film was that it was about a  WRESTLING FAMILY in the UK.
And they fought.
Each other. At least that's what the title implies.
I've liked some of the cheap, crappier wrasslin' documentaries I've watched over the years, so I was under the assumption this would be another of the ilk.
 Except that this time around I could buff up my knowledge of "Indy" British Wrestling.

I didn't recognize ANY members of the afore mentioned wrestling family-hell who could've with an image on the preview screen was the size of a thimble...still no idea who these junk food loving, foul mouth spewing, British wankers were.
Matter of fact, PAGE isn't even on the tv screen for several minutes... but the film is good, I don't see how the WWE's version could add much more.
Afterall she "made" it, if ya will...

I HIGHLY recommend the channel TUBI if you own a ROKU or a FIRESTICK. Or ANY sorta tech that can download TUBI.
(An amazing amount of great stuff like ALL the GI JOE cartoons from the 80's early 90's. A few more GI JOE anime movies and small series which were GREAT! StarrCade tv show from the 80's in which kid contestants played stand-up video games against each other to win their own stand-up video game to win and take home! All sortsa  great stuff-just seach-TUBI is great!

Again,I found this movie by doing a SEARCH on TUBI, looking up WRESTING. It'll bring up several wrestling video options to choose but again just look for 
  "The Wrestlers: Fighting With My Family"

PS. If you do a SEARCH on ROKU itself, it'll show you the current WWE version of the film and NOT have this version linked. So DON'T DO A SEARCH ON ROKU.
Trust me, just go to TUBI and do a search there-it's there as I just made sure to look.
In the meantime, enjoy!!!
-Brent

• Like 2

Hmm.....I think you're trying to tell us something but I can't quite get what it is.  ?

But I have Tubi and we found some pretty cool stuff on there.  It's been awhile since I used it but they have a good selection for a free app.  I'll get to watching this after I catch up on the endless 90s shows on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2