DVDVR Message Board

The ANTHEM Thread Of Sadness

J.T.

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

That's what they did with Anthem. They let Bioware have over half a decade to plan both Andromeda and Anthem and they just debated on the cool whit they should do instead of making any of it work.

As much as it pains me to say this, this seems like a Bioware problem, not an EA problem.

I think you are giving EA too much credit. They were taking resources away from both projects to focus on other shit while also forcing Bioware to work with an engine not really intended for RPGs. Its very much an EA and Bioware problem. Neither are blameless in this. Also wasn't it less an issue about debating what cool shit they would do and more having to scrap things after realizing it wasn't going to work or being told by execs it wasn't what they wanted? We know DA4's first incarnation was scrapped because EA took the team off to work on Anthem and wanted something more live service related.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the EA edict that everyone must use Frostbite even though it's best for one type of game.

Even then, Frostbite being a "good" engine is suspect. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Is the Frostbite that's used now the same as the one used for Battlefield 4? Because Battlefield 4 was awesome.

I forgot about the weird programming issue that EA's Sports division was having utilizing Frostbite because they had to program around shooter logic for Battlefield. 

The Frostbite engine stuff always seems weird to me because there have been multiple cases of people working with it saying that it's problematic, followed by an official EA rep publicly stating WELL ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD.

There's this weird thing in gaming (you're seeing it a lot with Bethesda fans) where people that don't understand how things are made shout "well why don't they just make a new engine?" Anthem. The answer to this question is Anthem. A ton of actual development time was lost to retraining a whole studio and it shows.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Even then, Frostbite being a "good" engine is suspect. 

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Is the Frostbite that's used now the same as the one used for Battlefield 4? Because Battlefield 4 was awesome.

The problem with Frostbite is that it does FPS extremely well and everything else is kinda ehhh.

It doesn't do vehicles all that great as exemplified in the past few lackluster Need for Speed Games and while ADS and Hip Fire combat in Andromeda and Anthem is pretty solid and satisfying, the 3PS movement (especially when you are jumping and / or flying) really blows goats

The FPS aspects lend themselves well to sports games like the Madden titles that have used Frostbite since most sports games are loaded with QTEs anyway.  The team / squad mechanics are not as dynamic as they would be in a 3PS.

Think Master Chief jumping vs. Madden QB running vs. Anthem javelins running / jumping / flying and that's not even factoring in the combat and multiplayer aspects of Anthem or Andromeda.

Granted, that I am not a game coder so I have no personal experience.  I'm just drawing my own conclusions from things I've read from game programmers in other forums discussing the pros and cons of working with Frostbite.

Edited by J.T.

Holy shit. I had no idea that all of these EA games had to use Frostbite. That seems really dumb. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was an engine first designed for Battlefield 3? Maybe Bad Company 2? In any event, I always thought it was just used for FPS games, so mainly the Battlefield series. Since there's nothing else I play that EA puts out, I just was never aware that they shoehorned all of these other games into using it. 

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

The new line: Anthem sucks, and it's OUR fault.

"Could it be that our game is just shitty?"

(pauses)

"No, no. . .it's the gamers who are wrong."

If that is true then they are really fucked.  But given it's the top brass that may or may not feel this way then this gives even more reason to toss out the top brass and get people in charge that are willing to right the ship.  I'm still of the impression the people that actually worked on the game really want to make things right and for that I feel bad for them.

• Like 1

This just makes me feel worse for everyone at Bioware who isn't leadership. Bioware's leadership MUST change. They have capable employees and project managers there. They need someone whose head isn't up their ass steering the ship.

I would never be in favor of a studio shutting down because that's a lot of employees out of work when we've already seen damn near 1,000 people from various companies already lose their jobs this year. However, the one or two people at the top? They need to be shuffled somewhere else.

• Like 2

I never thought I'd see the day where Casey Hudson might be part of the problem.

I think that Samantha Ryan's leadership is far too beholden to EA for her to be an effective GGM for Bioware.  It also doesn't help that she also has to run Maxis and Motive Studios. 

I think her plate is too full as she oversees just about all of EA's North American ops save Respawn and EA Sports.

• Like 1

In this one case - I think I would like to wait to comment when it is more than "one random reddit poster" as a source

That would be like running a news story based on Yakuza Rich's old mock drafts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In this one case - I think I would like to wait to comment when it is more than "one random reddit poster" as a source

That would be like running a news story based on Yakuza Rich's old mock drafts

That's fair.  Though even if this particular story is not true I still believe there needs to be changes in management.

This stuff reminds me of the stuff Chris Avellone mentioned about Obsidian where essentially 95% of the issues came from incompetent management. Seems like most issues with game companies come from management who have something of a disconnect with their developers and customer base.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

This stuff reminds me of the stuff Chris Avellone mentioned about Obsidian where essentially 95% of the issues came from incompetent management. Seems like most issues with everything come from management who have something of a disconnect with their developers and customer base.

FTFY

• 3 weeks later...

Has the price of this game dropped below half price across the pond? Because it has here. It launched at full price, £49.99. It's £19.99 now (or £29.99 for the Legion of Dawn edition). And it's not been out that long.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I pretty much assumed when I saw a post about Anthem that it had been shitcanned.  Not yet, I guess.

I think it is gonna die after Cataclysm is a disaster because from all indications the few people who have stuck with the game have done so because of the carrot that is/was Cataclysm

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I'd even buy that for $10, which is a shame because that was a game that I thought looked interesting the first time they showed it off.

And then what they delivered after that was the same exact shit.

I honestly struggle to think of a project that had more potential and fell as short as this. This is this generation's Daikatana.

Anyway if you're thinking about dropping $10 on this seriously just go play Warframe for free instead, power through the first couple hours where it doesn't really do a good job explaining itself, and enjoy your next couple hundred hours.

• Sad 1

So Casey Hudson posted an update

Over the last few weeks we’ve been ramping up our Cataclysm events in Anthem – a season-long event with new arenas, enemies, challenges, and rewards.  We have a big team working on Anthem in both Austin and Edmonton, and while it’s been great to see the community response to Cataclysm, I know there’s a lot more work to do to bring out the full potential of the game.  We have plans for those more fundamental improvements, but they’ll take time.  While the team works towards the longer-term vision of the game, they will also continue to deliver updates to features and content.  I believe in Anthem and would love to see its world grow, evolve, and thrive for years to come.  Thanks for your patience and support as we do the work of constantly improving and expanding the experience.

Maybe you should had a longer term vision from the start but that is just me

Oh and side note - he also said the next SWTOR update will be "Fall" and then the usual YES WE ARE WORKING ON DRAGON AGE! PLEASE DON'T ABANDON US!!!!

• Haha 1