DVDVR Message Board

The ANTHEM Thread Of Sadness

J.T.

I saw a headline but didn't read the story so this could be bullshit but I saw that Anthem was Bioware's worst reviewed game ever

Which means worse than Andromeda

Hey remember when EA had them bail on Andromeda because the metacritic score was lower than they thought it was going to be?

Okay - I am leaving before I get an ulcer again

Grr....

Here is Paul Tassi's apologist article @ Forbes.

The "I won't review Anthem until it's fully patched" / "Release Date Are Meaningless When A Game Is Rushed To Market!" sentiment is strong in the pro-Bioware community.

My argument is that the game is in the box now so that means its no longer in development and if it sucks, then it sucks.

• Sad 1

There are three positive elements that could very well make me buy this game.

1. There are a couple of guys in the DARPA Clan that bought the game out of box and they insist that there is a great game that is slowly and painfully clawing its way out of this current incarnation..  Destiny and Destiny 2 really didn't start to get good until after a couple of DLCs came out, so I remain hopeful that Anthem will eventually become a playable game.

2. I have read one or two of the reviews and they seem to be damning Anthem for things that were seen as positives in Mass Effect.  WHY DO I NEED TO TALK TO ALL OFTHESE PEOPLE IN FORT TARSUS~?  Uh, because it's a Bioware game , asshole, and backstory helps with immersion.  Knowing that Anthem still has the feel of a Bioware game is encouraging, even if it lacks a heart right now.  That can be fixed with content.  Give me characters to care about and a cause to fight for and I will be in a Javelin in no time.

3. The rate at which Bioware is releasing comprehensive patches is remarkable.   I grumble about the notion that it's the support that should've gone to Andromeda, but that's neither here nor there.  Anthem is the new title out now and Bioware seems to have learned its lesson by responding to community concerns quickly.

So we'll see.  Maybe I will buy this thing around the beginning of Summer after Bioware gets its shit together?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

#see how fast (and how far) the price drops, I suppose. Might be quick.

A cheap game that is bad is still a bad game.  Not only will I need a price drop to convince me to play, I will probably need a freebie or two.

Well, I just completed Agents of Mayhem, which wasn't very good. If it had been £39.99 I would have hated it, and think I'd been robbed. But I got it for £3.99, so I felt I got a bit more than my money's worth.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

2. I have read one or two of the reviews and they seem to be damning Anthem for things that were seen as positives in Mass Effect.  WHY DO I NEED TO TALK TO ALL OFTHESE PEOPLE IN FORT TARSUS~?  Uh, because it's a Bioware game , asshole, and backstory helps with immersion.  Knowing that Anthem still has the feel of a Bioware game is encouraging, even if it lacks a heart right now.  That can be fixed with content.  Give me characters to care about and a cause to fight for and I will be in a Javelin in no time.

I read a couple reviews like this yesterday after I got curious when the game was coming out, only to find it had already done so.  At least one of those reviews was from an admitted Bioware fangirl, and she was still critical of this.  Sounded like there wasn't really any apparent integration between the conversations and the rest of the game.  Nor was there any real feeling of attachment to whomever you had to talk to.  

If I ever decide to get this, it might be just out of boredom.  I've about given up on Red Dead, and I don't think there's a upcoming game I care about that even has a release date.  I'll wait and see, though.  "More like Destiny" will never be a selling point to someone who hates some of the basic underlying mechanics of that series

Didn't Bioware make a Sonic RPG game that was just really, really awful? I can't possibly be imagining this. And Anthem is worse reviewed than that?

EDIT: WOW! My memory was correct. It was Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood that Bioware made and Anthem has received worse reviews than that game.

If Anthem were put out by Ubisoft, I could see the company sticking with it and doing their best to make it good like they've done for what feels like all of their games. Given that this was put out by EA, I could see them leaving Bioware hang out to dry especially since Apex Legends is such a hit.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

There are three positive elements that could very well make me buy this game.

1. There are a couple of guys in the DARPA Clan that bought the game out of box and they insist that there is a great game that is slowly and painfully clawing its way out of this current incarnation..  Destiny and Destiny 2 really didn't start to get good until after a couple of DLCs came out, so I remain hopeful that Anthem will eventually become a playable game.

3. The rate at which Bioware is releasing comprehensive patches is remarkable.   I grumble about the notion that it's the support that should've gone to Andromeda, but that's neither here nor there.  Anthem is the new title out now and Bioware seems to have learned its lesson by responding to community concerns quickly.

So we'll see.  Maybe I will buy this thing around the beginning of Summer after Bioware gets its shit together?

I think we all knew despite your protestations,you will eventually get it. :) 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I think we all knew despite your protestations,you will eventually get it. :) 

Only if Rippa buys it first and suffers through it for about a month or so.

• Haha 1

Probably should have searched before guessing. At least in the UK it's looking bad. It topped the charts for the week, but it did half of Andromeda's first week sales in retail.

I really don't know how to feel about this. Bioware is an incredible studio and has pumped out great games, but they've also felt like they've been increasingly without a rudder since the doctors both retired. I didn't get in on Andromeda, but did that feel like something forced on Bioware by EA? Anthem definitely feels like it was thrust upon them. So I have no idea who to fault here. Is it EA for forcing this on Bioware? Is it Bioware for taking on something way too ambitious?

At the very least, I hope this doesn't lead to the studios closure.

20 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I have the feeling we're gonna find out.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling we will. :(

The reviews talk about how one or two comprehensive patches could turn things around, but not if the company shits the bed in six months.  The community is stuck supporting a bad game in the hope that it will get better before Bioware goes the way of the T-Rex.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Bioware claims that they would've gone under if EA hadn't bought them in 2007.  I have no idea what will happen if Anthem really tanks.

We'll be waiting for articles about who purchased the licenses for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Or EA could, effectively, kill those too, because EA.

• Sad 1

Talked to a British homie on my Friends List and he actually likes the game and says it feels like a combo of Warframe and Borderlands. 

He digs the flying part and so far has been able to overlook the clunky gunplay and the somewhat soulless NPCs.

16 hours ago, Gonzo said:

We'll be waiting for articles about who purchased the licenses for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Or EA could, effectively, kill those too, because EA.

EA has recently renewed the trademark for Jade Empire so I don't think that ME or DA will be going anywhere.  

That doesn't mean that Bioware will be putting out any new ME, DA, or JE games anytime soon.  It just means that EA is consolidating its IPs under the EA banner so that can sell the licenses.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:17 AM, Craig H said:

Probably should have searched before guessing. At least in the UK it's looking bad. It topped the charts for the week, but it did half of Andromeda's first week sales in retail.

I really don't know how to feel about this. Bioware is an incredible studio and has pumped out great games, but they've also felt like they've been increasingly without a rudder since the doctors both retired. I didn't get in on Andromeda, but did that feel like something forced on Bioware by EA? Anthem definitely feels like it was thrust upon them. So I have no idea who to fault here. Is it EA for forcing this on Bioware? Is it Bioware for taking on something way too ambitious?

Not really. Just never felt quite finished with some ideas not being fleshed out enough. Had it been given more time and/or resources (Anthem took some of the latter away) it probably would have worked better. Not getting the DLC to answer some of the more interesting questions probably raised specifically for DLC also fucked up a lot.

I blame EA for Anthem. I wouldn't shocked if Bioware was into trying an online game, but I doubt Anthem was what they would have gone for on their own.