DVDVR Message Board

The ANTHEM Thread Of Sadness

J.T.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

If they want to do post-release support for games again, where's the Quarian Arc DLC?

The Quarian Arc DLC is now some novel that I don't think anyone read.

33285040._UY700_SS700_.jpg

Sorry, guys.

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Basically, yes. And as a friend of mine tweeted:

I see what you did there!  And yeah, if there is a model to follow after a horrible launch, it is FF14: RR.  

I really don't trust EA to make the same positive strides that Square / Enix made though.  In order to fix a problem, you have to admit that there was a problem in the first place.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Quarian Arc DLC is now some novel that I don't think anyone read.

33285040._UY700_SS700_.jpg

Sorry, guys.

If i thought there was going to be another Mass Effect any time soon, and it was going to follow Andromeda then I would probably check out the novel. As it is I read the highlights a while back. It likely doesn't cover what the Quarian dlc would have actually been, just what was going on with their late arrival.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I really don't trust EA to make the same positive strides that Square / Enix made though.  In order to fix a problem, you have to admit that there was a problem in the first place.

Oh definitely. 

I'm just sad/upset because it means that the writers and such the Anthem team poached from the SWTOR team are probably never coming back. The drop in writing quality is just frustrating. 

• Like 1

The frustrating part for me is that they are just throwing good money after bad

As Jenn and DFA mentioned - it is wasting resources on Anthem that could be used on projects that are already successful or working on winning everyone back with DA4 or the next Mass Effect (or a remastered Mass Effect)

• Like 3

The problem with the ARR comparison is the only reason people gave the concept any leash at all is that there is actually a fanbase of millions of people that care about Final Fantasy. The second Final Fantasy 14 was good it boomed because people wanted it to succeed from the start. You can't ARR something 10 people care about.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Again they are all "this is going to take forever" so I really don't know why they are bothering outside just fucking refusing to cut their losses

• Sad 2

Jesus, Anthem is the anchor around Bioware's neck and they are determined to ride it to the bottom of the ocean.

It was cool to see the banner saying that Bioware was one of Canada's Top 100 employers in 2018.  

Times must be lean now with COVID-19 and a crappy game on their hands.

Edited by J.T.
  • Sad 1

Because it was BioWare who initiated Anthem in the first place, back in 2014.

If you read Jason Schreier's articles, it was Casey Hudson and co. who first conceived this, wanting to do something other than a single player RPG.

Blizzard/BioWare/Rockstar: Hey, we're just gonna spend 3-7 years farting around, and maybe we'll have a great game after that.

Activision/EA/2K Games: No, you're not.  In fact, you need to start making games a lot faster than you have been.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

Times must be lean now with COVID-19 and a crappy game on their hands.

Presumably, Bioware won't have any issues recruiting people to move to Edmonton in the future.

I remember when Visceral Games closed down, one programmer I knew through a friend was complaining on Facebook that the only job offer he got would require him to move to Dublin, Ireland.

As our ecenomy continues to contract, American developers will be fighting for jobs in Ireland or Edmonton.

• Like 1

Millennials are much braver when it comes to making decisions to move God knows where in order to find gainful employment.

If I were a Millennial game programmer, I'd take a shot at one of those jobs with CDPR In Poland.  My parents would freak the fuck out, though.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Anthem talk in the Upcoming thread reminded me this came out last week

Basically "Working from home is hard! Some day we will fix the game!"

Which, again, doesn't bode well for any of their other games

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Yeah - I didn't realize until reading that article that the dude leading the overhaul left Bioware in December

So of course I am going get even angrier about the fate of Andromeda because of this fucking game

• Like 2

I don't even see the point in keeping this turd of a game alive. It's fucking dead. It's been forever since it came out and I can't imagine there's even that many people that play it online. Avengers already has a small player base. Anthem has to be even less than that.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't even see the point in keeping this turd of a game alive. It's fucking dead. It's been forever since it came out and I can't imagine there's even that many people that play it online. Avengers already has a small player base. Anthem has to be even less than that.

Well EA of Nov 2019 clearly didn't want to admit defeat so they started throwing good money after bad

It looks like EA of Feb 2021 is finally taking the fucking hint (I do wonder how much... if any... Avengers failure played into their thinking)

• Like 2

I would really love to be a fly on the wall at Bioware to find out how many people have basically been told they are working on this game forever, who are absolutely aware it's a DOA project. But what can you do? A paycheck is a paycheck. I really wanted this game to be good but it just arrived so short of what was required I'm not sure how anything could salvage it. Seems like everyone but certain high ranking EA suits understood that.

Also I think it says a lot about how EA now views this project that now we have multiple Origin titles available on Steam and they just left this one out because doing the backend infastructure work to make that possible isn't seen as worthwhile.

There's going to be an amazing documentary about this game someday. 

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I would really love to be a fly on the wall at Bioware to find out how many people have basically been told they are working on this game forever, who are absolutely aware it's a DOA project. But what can you do? A paycheck is a paycheck. I really wanted this game to be good but it just arrived so short of what was required I'm not sure how anything could salvage it. Seems like everyone but certain high ranking EA suits understood that.

Also I think it says a lot about how EA now views this project that now we have multiple Origin titles available on Steam and they just left this one out because doing the backend infastructure work to make that possible isn't seen as worthwhile.

There's going to be an amazing documentary about this game someday. 

It's way too soon to do another TV series like Silicon Valley, but holy shit, this sounds like such a Silicon Valley plotline that it would be worthy of a new series about game developers and designers. I'll take either that or a documentary.