Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Happy Birthday Ric - 2/25/2019


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Great to see Roman back. Liked the little moment with he and Seth looking back at Dean in the ring. Ronda once again being assaulted for no reason and poor Natalya takes a cheap shot too. At this point I just wish Ronda and Natalya would've destroyed Becky, who despite being on "one leg" rarely seems to actually be at the disadvantage. Ronda should've just wanted to whip ass after that not beg and plea for becky's job back, ridiculous. I wanted Vince to come troll the crowd and announce since Ronda left the title, it would now be Charlotte vs Steph.

Gotta make Becky look strong, pal!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's an awesome belt. It's a shame Ric didn't get juice because even if you didn't think his blood was already rocket fuel, his face being beet red sure did show it. And hey, Big Dave actually called HHH "Hunter"!

That was all I saw of this fiasco. What happened with Becky/why was she "arrested"? 

BTW, the 30 for 30 on Flair just played on ESPN and there wasn't a dry eye in this room by the end of it. I thought they might replay it but Sportscenter is going to be on literally all night instead.

EDIT: Oh, and Hogan was actually humble! Still... Natural, you know what to do.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I give the internet 0.006 seconds from the time Roman arrives at the ring to the first "Roman was faking leukemia" take.  

It's been five hours and I'm not sure who I hate more: Roman Reigns truthers or Chris Benoit truthers.

...eh, trick question- they're likely one and the same.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was all I saw of this fiasco. What happened with Becky/why was she "arrested"? 

Last week, Triple H warned Becky that she'd be arrested and charged if she came to RAW or Smackdown again and attacked someone (even though, as a person and a wrestler, he thought what she had been doing was "pretty cool"). She laid out Natalya tonight, and brawled with Ronda. Road agents separated them, then the "Atlanta police department" came out and arrested her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

You'd have to go negative time, wrestling twitter's already been doing that since last week.  Also already done, whining that this is done for a ratings grab (courtesy of Meltzer)

Courtesy of Lance Storm, you mean. He's the one who complained about it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That opening promo with Roman was absolutely amazing. But... Just imagine it wasn't announced ahead of time. That we didn't know Roman was in the building. We get that Ambrose beat down, Seth coming out with the chair... ROMAN FUCKING REIGNS!!!!!! The pop would've deafened half the audience.

They fight off the bad guys, it's awkward with Dean, then we come back from commercial and get the Roman promo. Fuck man, that's the kind of segment that could help long-term instead of a cheap one week bump.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

That opening promo with Roman was absolutely amazing. But... Just imagine it wasn't announced ahead of time. That we didn't know Roman was in the building. We get that Ambrose beat down, Seth coming out with the chair... ROMAN FUCKING REIGNS!!!!!! The pop would've deafened half the audience.

They fight off the bad guys, it's awkward with Dean, then we come back from commercial and get the Roman promo. Fuck man, that's the kind of segment that could help long-term instead of a cheap one week bump.

I was thinking that same thing when I saw it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BrianS81177 said:

I was thinking that same thing when I saw it. 

That’s exactly what I said in the general discussion thread. Oh well, I’m glad it’s as we thought and good news. It will be very interesting to see how he gets booked over the next few weeks, and also how everything else is booked too.

Will all the other promised changes through Dec/Jan, however surface level they were anyway, be rolled back because Vince has his ace back? Will the woman’s angles take a back seat? Will all the NXT guys just shuffle back whence they came?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's an awesome belt. It's a shame Ric didn't get juice because even if you didn't think his blood was already rocket fuel, his face being beet red sure did show it. And hey, Big Dave actually called HHH "Hunter"!

That was all I saw of this fiasco. What happened with Becky/why was she "arrested"? 

BTW, the 30 for 30 on Flair just played on ESPN and there wasn't a dry eye in this room by the end of it. I thought they might replay it but Sportscenter is going to be on literally all night instead.

EDIT: Oh, and Hogan was actually humble! Still... Natural, you know what to do.

Thank you, @Curt McGirt. Fuck, Hulk Hogan!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like you gotta put Roman in the main event (either because he rightfully gets a title shot at the belt he never lost, or Authority chicanery) and have him go over. 

1. If the women aren't going last, Roman closing the show with the belt having overcome cancer is a pretty good substitute
2. How long does the goodwill last before people start booing him again because he's not who they want?
3. It's a better alternative than either Rollins or Lesnar winning
4. Avoids the potential of Vince putting the company in another 3 year long holding pattern until Reigns is ready to beat Lesnar again. He beats him relatively clean here, albeit with Rollins' help, everyone remembers and establishes him as a big deal again.
5. Rollins chasing Reigns but not wanting to end the fairy tale and challenge Roman could be a pretty compelling story.
6. Highly unlikely, if they've learnt anything from WMX7, but I want Die Rocky Die X2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They may as well just have Rollins step aside to give Reigns his shot at Lesnar if he is going to be back full time from here on in given there is still 5-6 weeks until Mania. If they are going to basically forget about the Shield breakup, just go the next step and pretend Summerslam didn’t happen either. They tried so long to try and manufacture a favourable reaction to him beating Lesnar at Mania, and now they have the perfect opportunity to do so which requires no manufacturing at all. I doubt even the smarkiest if smarks would boo and would genuinely feel happy for the guy after what’s he’s been through. And if they are going to exploit it, they may as well exploit it to the point that the payoff for the exploitation is 60-70k fans cheering (and doing so loudly) for him beating Lesnar at Mania, which none of us would’ve considered possible 12 months ago

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Thunder Down Under said:

They may as well just have Rollins step aside to give Reigns his shot at Lesnar if he is going to be back full time from here on in given there is still 5-6 weeks until Mania. If they are going to basically forget about the Shield breakup, just go the next step and pretend Summerslam didn’t happen either. They tried so long to try and manufacture a favourable reaction to him beating Lesnar at Mania, and now they have the perfect opportunity to do so which requires no manufacturing at all. I doubt even the smarkiest if smarks would boo and would genuinely feel happy for the guy after what’s he’s been through. And if they are going to exploit it, they may as well exploit it to the point that the payoff for the exploitation is 60-70k fans cheering (and doing so loudly) for him beating Lesnar at Mania, which none of us would’ve considered possible 12 months ago

Nah, I'm good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I'm just not into Aleister Black. Ricochet is fine, but why are these guys going over established main roster guys so soon?


Because calling NXT people up just to job them out would be fucking stupid?
 

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I guess H will finally get that win, 14 years later.

It is legit mind-boggling that people still prop up this "HHH is trying to hold *everyone* down and make himself the greatest of all time!!!!!" horseshit. Why on earth do you or anyone else think he gives two shits about getting his win back?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking back to the long 2004-2005 build to Triple H vs. Batista with Triple H/Ric Flair thinking they've played Batista only to find out Batista was well aware:

ScalyGrotesqueEmperorpenguin-size_restri

Batista beat Triple H in three singles match on PPV in 2005: the big one at WrestleMania 21 but the best was the Hell in a Cell match at Vengeance 2005. That feud made Batista.

I still love the feud between The Undertaker and Batista in 2007.  WrestleMania 23 was the best of those matches, the MOTN and should have gone on last. The final score was two wins for Batista, one for The Undertaker with two draws.

Big Dave's 2014 return brought some gems: Bootista, the wonderful WrestleMania XXX Triple Threat between Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Bluetista, Evolution vs. The Shield plus:

tenor.gif?itemid=4938777

Batista taunted Triple H that he never beat him on Smackdown 1000 last October and how he's attacked the Nature Boy on this edition of RAW.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Peck said:

That Roman speech was a phenomenal segment. 

And then I received an email literally 5 minutes afterwards shilling a Roman shirt on Shop. 

And then Corbin happened.

Jesus, Vince.

 

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Kind of weird that Reigns has the pull backstage to veto a trip to Saudi Arabia for Crown Jewel, but can't tell them to knock it off when they want to do a segment with Charly Caurso and Baron Corbin backstage, the night he announces he's in remission, where they bring up that Corbin said "he deserved it" or whatever (and comparing his hardships as RAW GM to Reigns' battle with leukemia, saying even Reigns wouldn't know what difficulties Corbin went through despite Reigns having CANCER). Surprised no one here as pointed that out - the Corbin backstage stuff tonight seemed in more poor taste than the initial Ambrose turn where he made some remarks.

 

When people bitch about how the mainstream views wrestling as classless, tacky, lowest common denominator garbage, look at what happened last night and you can understand why. 

A guy came back from leukemia.  LUEKEMIA.  And it was turned into a merchandising ploy and lame grab at heat in mere minutes.  Vince is a horrible old time carny and he just can't help pandering to his most disgusting, cynical instincts.  I mean you have a "women's revolution" going on but he won't stop his search for the next set of big tits with a blonde who can't work attached, because that's what he really wants.  The rest is just a PR move performed under duress by a company dragged kicking and screaming into modern times.  Any time this company does anything half decent, it steps on its own dick in service of its stuck in the 1970s owner.  So don't blame non-fans who "just don't get it" for looking down on this usually-awful business.  Blame its most visible steward who thinks he can Make Wrestling Great Again by taking it back to a time where any heat was good heat and the fans were just dumb rubes ready to be conned out of their last nickel, even if it means reducing a cancer survivor to just another gimmick.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

It's not like Batista's been calling out HHH and he'd been ducking him so he had to do this or something. Just weird. All Batista did at 1000 was point out a true statement that he's the one guy HHH never beat. 

My guess is that they will go with the story that Batista has very publically been saying for the past several years that he wants one final run in the company against HHH but they haven't called him. He's been putting it out there and getting "no interest" from them, so he took it in to his own hands to really get HHH's attention, and now he has it. 

I don't know about making HHH the face in this though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I caught some stuff in passing last night but I wanted to go back to see the Reigns thing.

1.) Youtube video for it has 1.45 million views already.

2.) I think it's the first youtube video I've ever seen which has two ads in front of it, which seems a bit mercantile given the subject matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

When people bitch about how the mainstream views wrestling as classless, tacky, lowest common denominator garbage, look at what happened last night and you can understand why. 

On the one hand, I don't believe for a second that Roman is faking his cancer.

On the other hand, I hate to say aloud that that's something the company would never stoop to - because I wouldn't be surprised tomorrow if Meltzer reported that the WWE had decided to run a cancer angle to get Roman over.

A leukemia angle wouldn't be the most tasteless angle Vince has ever proposed.  When you make as many poor decisions as this company does, you don't get  the benefit of the doubt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...