DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Happy Birthday Ric - 2/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Matt D said:

Also, I feel bad for Sting in the post-Raw stuff where he didn't get to beat anyone up. He just stood around looking like Real Estate Steve while Angle and Michaels got to do everything.

If Batista hadn't interrupted, we would have found out that WWE's real birthday present to Ric was letting him beat up gullible babyface Sting one last time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good to hear about Roman. The long term problem is really whatever you have him do(Let's say he has some surprise and beats Brock at WM, everybody cheers, it's great), then what? They literally have spent like two years building no one. I'm literally sitting here naming off guys in my head and if I would want to see the Roman vs ???? program and almost everyone of them is a hard no. And I'm not even coming close to saying that's Romans fault.

• Like 1

I have little interest in watching a Triple-H vs. Batista match in 2019, but I am interesting in popping in and watching segments to a overall storyline based around their feud, especially if they are going to let Batista do this thing and just be the bad guy here.  Give me the storyline and I'll do taxes during the match or something.  Strange.

How are we already talking that the Women's match isn't going to main event? Where is that coming from? I'm assuming that Wrestlemania is a Shield reunion and the big Roman push follows. And I haven't seen anyone mention that they managed to get a good portion of the crowd to chant "Triple Threat" during the Ronda-Steph segment. I'll be floored if this isn't the main.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Also, I feel bad for Sting in the post-Raw stuff where he didn't get to beat anyone up. He just stood around looking like Real Estate Steve while Angle and Michaels got to do everything.

Sting was just on high alert making sure no one turned on him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Good to hear about Roman. The long term problem is really whatever you have him do(Let's say he has some surprise and beats Brock at WM, everybody cheers, it's great), then what? They literally have spent like two years building no one. I'm literally sitting here naming off guys in my head and if I would want to see the Roman vs ???? program and almost everyone of them is a hard no. And I'm not even coming close to saying that's Romans fault. 

I don't think anything Roman does is really his fault, but I totally think he's getting booed again by the end of the summer because they're going to right back to doing what they always do with him. I also kind of think the WWE had a good idea going in that he was going to be back sooner than later, and tread water for that very reason.

Also, I guess I hadn't been keeping up with things enough to know that HHH was going to be healthy for Mania, which is, well, disappointing. Dave vs. Anybody Else might have been fun.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

My guess is that they will go with the story that Batista has very publically been saying for the past several years that he wants one final run in the company against HHH but they haven't called him. He's been putting it out there and getting "no interest" from them, so he took it in to his own hands to really get HHH's attention, and now he has it. 

I don't know about making HHH the face in this though. 

HHH is always going to be a face until he decides to stop wrestling once or twice a year because now we have proud NXT Papa H. I'm not going to boo the man behind quality like NXT and NXT:UK.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

When people bitch about how the mainstream views wrestling as classless, tacky, lowest common denominator garbage, look at what happened last night and you can understand why. 

A guy came back from leukemia.  LUEKEMIA.  And it was turned into a merchandising ploy and lame grab at heat in mere minutes.  Vince is a horrible old time carny and he just can't help pandering to his most disgusting, cynical instincts.  I mean you have a "women's revolution" going on but he won't stop his search for the next set of big tits with a blonde who can't work attached, because that's what he really wants.  The rest is just a PR move performed under duress by a company dragged kicking and screaming into modern times.  Any time this company does anything half decent, it steps on its own dick in service of its stuck in the 1970s owner.  So don't blame non-fans who "just don't get it" for looking down on this usually-awful business.  Blame its most visible steward who thinks he can Make Wrestling Great Again by taking it back to a time where any heat was good heat and the fans were just dumb rubes ready to be conned out of their last nickel, even if it means reducing a cancer survivor to just another gimmick.

I pretended the guy in your avatar cut that promo...Hooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How different would the leukemia deal be if they stuck with their original plan of Ambrose turning on Roman? My line of thinking is this:

After Dean attacks Roman, they hold him off TV for a couple of weeks. Then when he comes back to make the announcement and give up the title, he can say the leukemia was detected when Roman went to the doctor for treatment after Dean ambushed him, so he can offhandedly "thank" Dean for helping save his life. "I owe you one." Then fast-forward to last night, you can do a big teary reunion with all three.

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If Reigns can really, really go, the best option for him at Mania is Cena, right?

Part of me agrees, but to me, the only way it works is if it's a huge circus finish like Sting/HHH. Roman can't lose for obvious reasons, and while I love the way part-time Cena is working his ass off to put dudes over, he needs a win sooner or later or you might be looking at "diminishing returns" territory with him. Which, hey, maybe that's his goal if he's wrapping it up soon for real, who knows. 

Maybe Roman (or maybe Cena even) just comes out for a short physicality-but-not-a-match segment and does the greatest hits with an Elias or a Rusev an Aiden English or a Corbin or a B Team or something. Kinda like Hogan running in to save Eugene from Hassan/Daivari some years back, or the Rock/Rowan "match" from Dallas