DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Happy Birthday Ric - 2/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The Lio/Finn match was really good. One of my favorite ECW matches of all-time is Sabu vs. Stevie Richards. That was a great match where the put upon lackey stepped up bigtime against a superior opponent who barely held on. This match sort of felt like that. Or, if it was March Madness, it was a 15 seed giving a 2 seed a run with both teams tied with 90 seconds to go or whatever. Lio Rush is a really fun wrestler. 

Becky/Ronda was great. I love how the whole thing is just in utter chaos now. Steph stating that Becky and Rousey are both the same really set it up super well. They're both bad-asses who want to be the best. And, because of that, they hate each other's guts. 

The end angle was super fun. I was wondering how Charlotte was going to get involved or if Becky was going to hijack a cop car or something. Nope. Instead, a great shock ending with Batista returning. I loved the blue sunglasses as a Bluetista nod. 

• Like 1

Roman looks like he can go.  I don't know if he'll have a Mania match but something like a special enforcer role in the Brock/Seth match is not out of the question.  

Also,  once Becky got arrested I said "okay, what is the deal with the Flair birthday?"  and I still thought Charlotte would be involved.  Interesting that it was Batista.  I liked it. It felt like some thought was put into this.. 

5 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Shield/Braun vs Elias/McIntyre/Lashley/Corbin main event of Fastlane?

Please! That match would rule.

You can throw Bàlor in there and Lio Rush and make it a 10 man tag.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Anyone notice Dawson and Black paying homage to Arn? That was cool..  

Black legit ate that DDT. Incredible spot.

Happy for Joe/Roman. Good guy who deserves it. If Dean does end up leaving, happy we'll get one more Shield match out of it. 

What're they doing with Alexa? I don't hate it, per se, it just seems odd. They may hold off on her working full time for a while. In ring, anyway. She's too good a talker not to be on every week, though. Put her with someone who needs a manager.

Ending segment was bananas. Becky should still end 'Mania. They don't have time to build a proper "main event" for Roman and HHH/Batista would get shit on by the hardcores in the audience if Becky/Ronda get bumped from the main event for that. 

I'm just not into Aleister Black. Ricochet is fine, but why are these guys going over established main roster guys so soon? Maybe this leads to some sort of nXt/main roster challenge down the line.

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This does have a little backstory.  

Well the plan was always for Triple H vs Batista at WM.  Then Triple H torn his pec or something on him in that D-X reunion match in Saudia Arabia and people thought the match was done.  

Although I am not sure if Batista was always supposed to be a heel.  Don't think so given the SD 1000 show

• Like 2

Guess we're getting Big Dave vs. HHH at WM. I'm very surprised there was no Charlotte. With Batista taking out Ric, Becky and/or Ronda should have dropped Charlotte into the cake.

Nice to see deathmatch superstar David Arquette showing some love for Roman. Using leukemia to get heat for Baron Corbin is disgusting.

We're also going to get one last Shield reunion before Ambrose leaves.

If The Conquistadors had a tag title reign, it would have been what the Revival's reign has been.

Aside from Black and Ricochet, seeing the recent nxt call-up's relegated to standing on the stage during the final segment is depressing.

I hope to see more of Nia and Tamina losing convincingly. They don't bring much else to the table, might as well put the rest of the women over at their expense.

Could do a number of things with Roman from here.

If you do that 8 man, you have him drop the fall to whoever on the opposition, set up a match there. Miscommunication with Dean or Braun leading to a match also. 

Bryan title match. Adding him to the Raw title match at the last minute would be a cool little call back to their first triple threat, and furthers a number of stories with Rollins and Brock also.

Or you could just have him and The Rock squash the Revival in under 2 minutes to promote the movie...

I was hoping they would find a way to intersect the two big stories tonight and have Batista do a shock attack on Roman at the end (jealousy over him getting into acting or some such). That’d give you a Hollywood Dave run and a great big time feel-good comeback match for Roman away from the title scene where they could throw bombs for 10 minutes and it’d rule.

Alas it’s HHH after all. Which I mean heel Dave is the shit so it’ll be fine.

Glad to see Roman back.

Dug the stuff with Becky and Ronda tonight even if Ronda was fumbling during her segment with Steph.

Black/Ricochet vs. Revival was so damn fun though I'm annoyed Revival lost again.

Finn/Lio was good and easily the best Lio has looked on Raw.

Dean/Drew was nice while it lasted. Dug Roman and Seth coming in for the save.

The Batista return as it happened was unexpected but neat especially since they bucked expectations for how they would used Flair's birthday.

Great to see Roman back. Liked the little moment with he and Seth looking back at Dean in the ring. Ronda once again being assaulted for no reason and poor Natalya takes a cheap shot too. At this point I just wish Ronda and Natalya would've destroyed Becky, who despite being on "one leg" rarely seems to actually be at the disadvantage. Ronda should've just wanted to whip ass after that not beg and plea for becky's job back, ridiculous. I wanted Vince to come troll the crowd and announce since Ronda left the title, it would now be Charlotte vs Steph.

Glad we're getting Batista/HHH but was hoping Batista was staying face like he was at SDL 1000. As it is, Batista killing Ric doesn't make much sense since they were always the closest post-Evolution with Batista feuding with Shawn for retiring Ric in 08, Orton beating up Ric to get at Batista in 09, etc. It's not like Batista's been calling out HHH and he'd been ducking him so he had to do this or something. Just weird. All Batista did at 1000 was point out a true statement that he's the one guy HHH never beat. I guess H will finally get that win, 14 years later. I miss RAW having an overrun, was odd knowing the show was ending in 2 minutes and Ric hadn't come out yet.

Also, Jinder got the cake after Raw went off the air.

• Like 3

Kind of weird that Reigns has the pull backstage to veto a trip to Saudi Arabia for Crown Jewel, but can't tell them to knock it off when they want to do a segment with Charly Caurso and Baron Corbin backstage, the night he announces he's in remission, where they bring up that Corbin said "he deserved it" or whatever (and comparing his hardships as RAW GM to Reigns' battle with leukemia, saying even Reigns wouldn't know what difficulties Corbin went through despite Reigns having CANCER). Surprised no one here as pointed that out - the Corbin backstage stuff tonight seemed in more poor taste than the initial Ambrose turn where he made some remarks.

I'm glad Reigns is back and healthy, because in all honesty, even if I haven't missed him - the show obviously has, and it's been in a placeholder ever since October it feels like.

• Like 1

Curious how they're going to handle what looks to be a Shield reunion. Is the fact that Ambrose turned on his bros on the night of Roman's announcement just going to be explained away by "oh I bonked my head" like he implied last week? The guys came down for the save tonight but they didn't actually interact with Ambrose afterwards to see if he was ok so I wonder if they're gonna be more wary of him now rather than just forgiving him.