DVDVR Message Board

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith (3/2/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Micky Gall's face when they announced Sanchez the winner pretty much said it all for that young man. 

That fucking knee to the SOLAAAAAR PLEXXXXXUUSSSSS tho.

Went back and watched Mazany-Chiasson. Chiasson got hit more than you would like to see and she looks a bit gangling for 135, but she landed a right hook on the button that shut off Gina Mazany's entire left side. That was nasty.

He almost got hurt celebrating in Fortaleza as well. Maybe his opponents should challenge him to an impromptu rematch because that's when he is most vulnerable?

• Haha 2

We are seeing the next wave of superstars this past month with Yan, Zabit, and Walker.

Also, what's up with Brett and the walk'n'talks? Kind of awkward.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I feel like Zabit is going to get too cute with the highlight reel strikes and get scorched one of these days. Could do with a rematch of this one.

I think the bigger problem is he takes most of the third round off.

Holy shit, that was immense. Garbrandt is such a doofus. He should do it up in that bare-knuckle league if they are paying their fighters.

His handspeed, which is among the best I've ever seen in MMA, fell off a cliff as he emptied the tank and took all technical ability out of that fight until Pedro shortened up his punches. What a dummy.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, that was immense. Garbrandt is such a doofus. He should do it up in that bare-knuckle league if they are paying their fighters.

He needs better coaches and not his uncle.

• Like 1

Once Cody got rocked, he just turned into a fucking cave man. Dumb.

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the bigger problem is he takes most of the third round off.

That too. I mean those first two rounds he's clearly skilled and fun too watch. But this fight still felt like it was shedding more light on the gameplan to stopping him. 

Since we were talking about the best teams in MMA not too long ago

Jon Anik brought up the fact that Pedro Munhoz was able to spar with Robson Conceicao, a 2016 Olympic gold medalist in boxing and currently a solid prospect for Top Rank. Conceicao, just like most reputable boxers in Brazil over the last several years, is trained by Luiz Dorea the long time head coach for Junior dos Santos. Even though Dorea has his own gym in Brazil, he frequently goes to American Top Team watch over JDS. That's why American Top Team can produce a bunch of great fighters.

• Like 1

Zabit looked pretty tired in the third. I haven't gone back to rewatch his other fights, is this a trend? I don't remember him looking that sluggish in his other 3 round fights.

Man, there is a pretty big dropoff here in terms of quality from the last three or four fights to Tecia Torres. Zhang has been fun though.

Edited by Oyaji

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Zabit looked pretty tired in the third. I haven't gone back to rewatch his other fights, is this a trend? I don't remember him looking that sluggish in his other 3 round fights.

Well, the times he has been extended that has happened. However, he looked slightly better tonight in the third than the fight in Brooklyn last year against Bochniak.

To me, it looks like he is probably more coasting than actually tired. When Stephens forced the issue, he still threw strikes with some authority.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco