DVDVR Message Board

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith (3/2/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Man, there is a pretty big dropoff here in terms of quality from the last three or four fights to Tecia Torres. Zhang has been fun though.

Tecia should have never left American Top Team in the first place especially to go to some random gym where her only training partner is Raquel Pennington. I think going back for this camp probably helped her, but Zhang is very legit and was a bad matchup for Tecia to begin with.

I guess Robbie Lawler is better than Agilan Thani?

Really disappointing ending to that fight - would have been amazing if Askren had come back from that first minute pummeling to legitimately win.

Edit : Lawler classy in defeat. Askren still acting cocky is great.

Edited by Setsuna

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I guess Robbie Lawler is better than Agilan Thani?

Really disappointing ending to that fight - would have been amazing if Askren had come back from that first minute pummeling to legitimately win.

I thought Asken was out.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought Asken was out.

Everyone ( but Craig) did. Herb could have stopped the fight there and I wouldn't have complained despite rooting for Askren.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

Seriously. I didn't think he was out. His arm drops, but he's putting weight on it. Then Herb lifts his arm and he keeps it up, even looks like he gives a thumbs up, and then Herb stops it. Fuck that.

Hopefully we get a rematch.

But honestly, Askren got obliterated and then put himself in a position to possibly submit Robbie Lawler, whether he went out or not - so I don't see how one can't be impressed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If Lawler wasn't out for a second, putting his arm from Askren's head to a dead limp by his side wasn't a great idea. They gotta make some type of constant motion so the referee knows, that's not the time to play dead.

The thing here is Herb was out of position so he couldn't see Robbie make that motion on his own power after Herb checked. So Herb on saw his arm go down but likely didn't see Robbie swing it forward because Herb would have to literally look underneath Ben's forearm by his midsection.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I think we've got ourselves a miscommunication here. Me and Natural were talking about Askren at the beginning of the fight. @Craig H

Ok, yeah. I definitely thought Askren was out and Herb let that shit keep going. And then later Herb's out of position, but even then, how do you not see Robbie hold up his own arm and give a thumbs up?

• Like 1

God what an amazing start to that fight and how cool that would've been for the finish. Poor Robbie to go from that explosion to the way it went. Definitely feel like that could've been stopped with the shots Robbie was landing.

Hannah Cifers was my favorite win of the night. I love her soft spoken quiet nature and she's often in exciting fights. Macy looked like a killer again and Johnny Walker continues to be the best.

Why were people thinking Usman was mostly going to throw with Woodley? He's one of the best MMA pressure wrestlers in history and the strongest guy pound for pound in the sport. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3