DVDVR Message Board

NXT - March 2019

The Natural

I wouldn't mind Ciampa playing 1998 Shane Douglas and keeping the title until he recovers, but with spinal fusion it seems unlikely he'll be back anytime soon. I could see the NA title being the main focus. But if he's not around, there's no reason to hold off on vacating the title and giving someone the rub. Adam Cole is the popular online pick and seems to make a lot of sense. Most everyone seems to think we'll get there with a multi-man Ladder Match, but I think a better way to go would be the first ever NXT Rumble for Goldie. 

They've set up both Riddle-Dream and Cole-Dream but I think the smart money is on Cole moving up the card. 

Spoiler

- Goldie Clusterfuck with Cole winning

- Riddle-Dream

- Dunne-Walter

- Women's clusterfuck

- Raiders-Sons

- Dijak-Lee gimmick match

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I wouldn't mind Ciampa playing 1998 Shane Douglas and keeping the title until he recovers, but with spinal fusion it seems unlikely he'll be back anytime soon. I could see the NA title being the main focus. But if he's not around, there's no reason to hold off on vacating the title and giving someone the rub. Adam Cole is the popular online pick and seems to make a lot of sense. Most everyone seems to think we'll get there with a multi-man Ladder Match, but I think a better way to go would be the first ever NXT Rumble for Goldie. 

They've set up both Riddle-Dream and Cole-Dream but I think the smart money is on Cole moving up the card. 

Reveal hidden contents

- Goldie Clusterfuck with Cole winning

- Riddle-Dream

- Dunne-Walter

- Women's clusterfuck

- Raiders-Sons

- Dijak-Lee gimmick match

I'm guessing Ciampa's probably out for close to a year unless there was something I missed today. There's no way they hold up the title that long.

2 hours ago, peachchaos said:

Yep, that's not gonna happen, which is for the best really. 1998 ECW sucked donkey balls with Douglas out all year.

Al Snow was the guy that should have beaten Douglas. For the fans sake and ECW, it's ashame he was under WWF contract.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Snow should have had at least a one month run with the title. 

Hell, even putting him over Douglas and then just have Bam Bam challenge him quickly for the WM9 ending would have been better for ECW.

The recent NXT call-ups are pretty reminiscent of Snow getting called up at the peak of his shine, too. Putting Aleister and Ricochet together as a team is basically the same as cutting the legs off the head gimmick and putting Snow into a feud with Lawler and Too Much.

Edited by peachchaos
  • Like 2

The only thing I can guess is that Vince probably had other ideas for Ricochet and Black and Hunter convinced him to at least let them be a team since they just became a team in NXT. They could have at least mentioned why those two were teaming or done some kind of story for them though.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The only thing I can guess is that Vince probably had other ideas for Ricochet and Black and Hunter convinced him to at least let them be a team since they just became a team in NXT. They could have at least mentioned why those two were teaming or done some kind of story for them though.

I'm pretty sure Vince had no ideas for Ricochet and Aleister. Maybe it was HHH's idea to pair them to protect them from trading wins with Elias or being shoved into the background like other recent call-up's.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

I'm sure the new signees will continue debuting over the weekend Florida loop and at Wednesday's TV taping.

Edited by Edwin

And to tie into that... (per the new WON)

Because of that, the Takeover schedule has been changed. Takeovers are usually held the night before Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, Money in the Bank, SummerSlam and Survivor Series, which are now considered the big five events.

While WWE has not confirmed this, the word going around is that the decision is that a May Takeover is too soon after the biggest show of the year, and that they feel June is better.

The June PPV is 6/16 in San Diego, which is a fairly tough wrestling market when it comes to working two shows on successive nights.

The July PPV is 7/14 in Philadelphia, which is a strong market where Takeover would do well, but that would mean Takeovers in both July and August, which is where June fits in, as it’s two months after one show and two months before the other, rather than trying to do Takeovers in successive months.

The impression we were given is that the Takeover show would be held on 6/8 at San Jose State University, using the 5,000-seat arena that was where the show that spawned the Takeover concept took place when the company sold out an event the Friday night before WrestleMania in Santa Clara on March 27, 2015.

That event wasn’t a Takeover show, but the success in selling the event out both spawned the Takeover concept being held in conjunction with the major PPVs, and also springboarded the change in the push of women’s wrestling when the Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch match tore down the house and got a bigger reaction than the Finn Balor vs. Neville main event.

San Jose has remained a strong NXT market and such a show would easily sell out a building of that size. It’s also convenient logistically because Raw two nights later will be in the larger SAP Center in San Jose, so much of the production crew can come to town and stay there for television Monday and then Smackdown in Sacramento on Tuesday, rather than being brought in specifically for a Takeover special.

June Takeover IN SAN JOSE

One would assume that the main event would mean Bayley/Sasha defending the titles against someone

Of course the WWE loves throwing away easy booking

Guest Edwin

I guess there has to be a title change Wednesday at the tapings or an announcement for a title match at  TakeOver. ?

If I recall correctly they used to go through the front of the neck for spinal fusions, which would have cost him the beard.  A few years back they started going through the back of the neck which also helped recovery times, etc.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

If I recall correctly they used to go through the front of the neck for spinal fusions, which would have cost him the beard.  A few years back they started going through the back of the neck which also helped recovery times, etc.

Oh no - they definitely went through the front of his neck

One of the photos is Ciampa holding up his beard showing off all the markings the doctors made to show where they were operating.

006_CIAMPA_03072019jj-0980--8e3e0d6b5c57

I mean at least I am assuming thats what they are there for

So, are we going to have the title vacated, and do a big ladder match like we did last year? Because that would be awesome. 

If they put all the names in it, it'll also clear up the undercard for some underexposed guys.  

Because they have a whole TV taping to work with - assume a tournament or at least a 4 way where guys have to qualify.

The problem with doing a ladder match is that instead of rebooking one match you are rebooking probably three

The only thin probably safe would be a women’s match and the one match already announced 

Plus it is technically NXT’s biggest show of the year - that’s not the time for them to be all “Lets give Kona Reeves a match”

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That event wasn’t a Takeover show, but the success in selling the event out both spawned the Takeover concept being held in conjunction with the major PPVs, and also springboarded the change in the push of women’s wrestling when the Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch match tore down the house and got a bigger reaction than the Finn Balor vs. Neville main event.

Is there a reason why the WON article replaced Sasha Banks with Becky Lynch?