DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: SECOND HALF

Dolfan in NYC

Jusuf Nurkic suffered a compound fracture of both his tibia and fibula. Looked like he was in excruciating pain at the time and now we know why. Awful for both him obviously and the Blazers. There goes their hopes of making a deep run. 

Well, I'm impressed. 

That Bucks bench is pretty darn good.  Lot better than the Rockets bench. 

Giannis.  Well, he got a lot of rebounds.  Went to the free throw line more than Harden -- which is interesting considering Harden was driving to the basket all night ... hmm... And, uh, his three point stroke is horrendous.  Should I be impressed that he got 17?  Felt like he was getting outplayed by Capela. 

Here's your MVP moment for Giannis:

Tim Hardaway thinks his comments about gay people are keeping him out of the hall of fame, which may or may not be true.  Here are his comments about it, and I'm pretty sure this is the best response to a wrongdoing that I've ever come across. 

"Well, you know, the reason I'm not in is because of what I said in 2007 about gay people," he told Hoops Hype recently. "That's why I'm not in right now, and I understand it. I hurt a lot of people's feelings and it came off the wrong way and it was really bad of me to say that. Since then, I've turned a wrong into a right. My parents used to always tell me, 'If you do something wrong, look it in the eye. Don't back down from it and be scared of it. Go make it right and make people understand that you made a mistake.'

"And that's what I did. I'm trying to do what's right, supporting gay people and transgender people. I want people to understand [what they go through] and understand them as people. They shouldn't be seen as 'other' people. You shouldn't call them [derogatory names] or look at them all ugly. Those are people too. They should get to live their lives just like we live our lives and that means having freedom and having fun. They should get to enjoy their life the way they're supposed to enjoy life. ... I've talked to people from the LGBTQ community [and I tell them], 'You're supposed to have the same rights that we have and supposed to be able to do everything that we do. You shouldn't be outcast.'"

Michael Vick's work with dogs and Ray Rice's work around domestic violence needs to be recognized as well, but Tim Hardaway said something that was reprehensible, realized he was wrong and actively went out to correct his problem.  That needs to be commended.  

• Like 3

The amazing thing about Tim is that, obviously, it started as your standard PR to save sponsorships. But then he kept doing it, kept working for LGBTQ rights. Works with the Trevor Project, reached out to Jason Collins immediately, fought for an equality bill in Florida.

He's the one guy who I truly believe learned and changed from his dumbassness.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The amazing thing about Tim is that, obviously, it started as your standard PR to save sponsorships. But then he kept doing it, kept working for LGBTQ rights. Works with the Trevor Project, reached out to Jason Collins immediately, fought for an equality bill in Florida.

He's the one guy who I truly believe learned and changed from his dumbassness.

Yeah, when he said, "I think my comments are keeping me out of the hall of fame" and then followed it with, "And I understand," I really to stand up from my laptop and applaud him.  He said something offensive and instead of fighting back when people had a problem, he looked in the mirror, admitted he fucked up, and went out of his way to fix it.  He could have spent the rest of his life thinking and feeling the same ignorant shit, but he made the decision to change when he was rich, famous, and didn't really have to.  

• Like 2

Shouldn’t Jokic get some run for MVP? Denver’s a shocking 2 seed, he’s their best player. Only All Star, right? 

I mean, he got dominated by Capela, but he should be in the conversation for MVP. He’s doing it in the West! Even LeBron can’t make the playoffs in the West!

Narratives. I heard recently that the Bucks have one of the easiest schedules of all time. I know it’s the East, but they’re  in the same division as the horrendous Bulls and Cavs. Give that schedule to a good team in the West and we’d be looking at breaking 70 wins. Bucks even ain’t going to get to 60.

Harden only scores 38 and it feels like a let down.

Narratives.

That's bullshit.  Paul George has been the consensus #3 guy. 

But it's interesting that there are consensus MVP candidates that aren't even considered in the consensus Top 5 players in the NBA.

Consensus Top 5 players in the NBA (in any order)

1. Harden

2. Durant

3. Curry

4. LeBron

5. Anthony Davis / Kawhi / Westbrook

I don't think you can say this is the Consensus Top 5 and name 7 people.  But I generally avoid using the word so maybe I'm not clear on how far it can be stretched. Seems like a lawyer trick to me.

As far as depth of talent goes, I think the league is at its all-time peak.  @Lawful Metal just named 7 people in the consensus top 5 and didn't name Giannis.  Giannis is arguably #1, but is also arguably fringe top 10.  Embiid should at least be mentioned, but there are far too many top-5 type players. 

I've heard multiple people say that Zion Williamson would be a disappointment if he turned out to have a Blake Griffin type career.  Blake Griffin is averaging 25/8/6...no one thinks he's a top 10 player in the league...that would be looked at as a disappointment...this isn't normal.

• Like 1