DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: SECOND HALF

Dolfan in NYC

Joel Embiid absolutely watched pro wrestling as a kid.  This was total "heel gets away with everything until the ref catches the face doing it."

Watch how he gets away with elbowing Marcus Smart to the ground then totally turns his back and marches off to do God know what because it sure as hell isn't playing basketball only to fly about five feet in the air with the retaliation shove to make sure Smart gets ejected.  And Joel's the hero.  Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Harden got 57 and 8 assists last night, but the Rockets were hosed by the refs again when they called a loose ball foul with 0.1 seconds left on the clock to give the Grizz free throws to win it.  Harden had 28 in the fourth and overtime, and was supremely clutch, bringing the Rockets back from 19 down in the fourth and 8 down in OT.

Harden now has more 50 point games this season (7) than Durant and Curry have ever had in their careers (6 each).  But tell me again how Giannis and Paul George are the real MVPs this season. 

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know how every once in awhile you see a stat that doesn't really tell you anything new, but puts more clarity on something?

Yeah, this:

Something else I learned today...Tim Duncan has more playoff wins as a player than almost 2/3 of NBA franchises have playoff wins ever.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes, the guy with the highest PER in the NBA who plays for the team with the best record in the NBA definitely isn't the "real MVP"

Definitely not. 

Harden’s season is legendary and the numbers speak for themselves - especially when you consider how he singlehandedly dragged the Rockets from the 14 seed to the 3 seed with Gordon, Paul and Capela injured for most of it and a bunch of castoffs and G-league nobodies on the roster.

And this was done in the West, where even LeBron can’t make the playoffs.

So, yeah, Giannis is having a good season. Sure.

Harden is having a historic season. Harden is going to finish averaging more than 35 points per game which hasn’t been done in forever. 

When was the last time Giannis won a playoff series?

On 3/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, sydneybrown said:

Joel Embiid absolutely watched pro wrestling as a kid.  This was total "heel gets away with everything until the ref catches the face doing it."

Watch how he gets away with elbowing Marcus Smart to the ground then totally turns his back and marches off to do God know what because it sure as hell isn't playing basketball only to fly about five feet in the air with the retaliation shove to make sure Smart gets ejected.  And Joel's the hero.  Amazing.

There is no universe in which Marcus Smart is a face.  

Cool heel maybe.

61 points. Joins Michael, Kobe and Wilt as the only players to have multiple 60 point games in a season. 

Harden has scored 149 in the last 3 games.

MVP.

Edited by Lawful Metal
Forgot Michael fucking Jordan somehow
  • Like 1

I had Harden as my vote for most of the year, but I expect Giannis will win.  That 12-5 stretch with everyone out literally saved the Rockets season though so I have no problem with either winning.

Clear top two.  PG was getting a lot of love as the third vote getter, but the Thunder are trending down.  I would probably have Embiid as my #3 at this point.  His impact is somehow underrated nationally and I’d say he has an outside shot at DPOY.

Edited by Jrag

This is just one of Harden’s “MVP Moments.” What are Giannis’s? Where did he take over a game and win it? 

Harden has to be the best player on the planet or the Rockets lose almost every night. 

I’m glad we stopped talking about PG and that fraud Westbrook.

The Bucks just got blown out by the Cavs with Giannis sitting out so I’d say that argument goes both ways.

I find it funny that we are all talking MVP now, but not a single one of us will give a shit by the time they actually announce it. 

Or did they move it back up? What a horrible idea to award it after the finals..

Just when I'm all about the Mavs Tank, they go and dad dick GSW.

Luka has a triple double before the 4th even starts, but I'm reading Trae Young stans try to convince themselves that he(he being Young. Pronouns pal) is the ROTY.

All y'all keep using 'stans' this way, and I don't instantly think of Eminem or fanboys or anything (I have to remind myself what it means).  My head keeps thinking of Lisa Stansfield (the British pop singer), and when I put the two together, I realize how terrifying a 'stansfield' must be.

• Like 2

FWIW, Basketball-Reference's MVP tracker currently gives Giannis a 52.4% chance to win, Harden 23.0%, and Jokic 6.4%.

Their tracker works as a statical model based on how the MVP vote usually goes. Giannis currently profiles, by far, the most like past MVPs. 

• Like 3