DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 02/20/19 TV (SPOILER FREE!)

RIPPA

Advertised for tonight

• NXT North American Title: Johnny Gargano (c) vs. Velveteen Dream (Dream is cashing in his WWC Tourney win)
  • Aleister Black vs. Roderick Strong
  • Mia Yim vs. Xia Li
  • Matt Riddle gets mic time
  • And whatever the special announcement is

So the special announcement was just the return of the Dusty Classic, with the winners getting a shot at the titles at Takeover: NY. Kind of a let down with how they announced it. Really thought/was hoping it would be more combining of NXT with the main roster. They announced 4 NXT tag teams for the tourney, but left the other 4 as TBA, so perhaps there will be main roster tag teams involved? I can't think of many other NXT tag teams that weren't already announced in the 4 that were. Those, by the way, are:

Undisputed Era

Forgotten Sons

Lorcan/Burch

Street Prophets

Other than that, the Gargano/Dream match was quite good and I'm a bit surprised Dream won the title there. Barely any mention of the 4 being on RAW/SD as the show as already taped, but they did show a short video package in between matches. It made the pretaped segment with Gargano/Ciampa a little awkward as they just teamed up the past two days.

Good showing from Xia Li. Her energy and athletcism is fantastic. The MMA Horsewomen beatdown following the match was pretty weak, though.

Hard-hitting match from Black-Strong. With Ricochet making the save, I'm guessing he and Black pair up in some way.

Main event was really good. Happy to see Dream win. Thought they kicked out of too much at the end, but that seems to be a NXT staple.

Yim/Li was decent. MMA Horsewomen beat down was nice to see though not as good as their last one.

Dream/Gargano was pretty damn good though I thought that last bit of offensive combo Johnny hit that Dream kicked out of was a bit much.

• Like 1

Mia Yim is a mixed bag for me. I get the whole Blasian Baddie thing, I just dont like it. Coming out with her fitted cap, baggy pants and bouncing to hip hop. I kinda cringed. Her new finishers name was possibly an homage to Wu-Tang Clan and it looked kinda cool. In the ring she is quite solid though and works well with inexperienced girls. I do wish she would ditch that corner cannonball. Xia Li is interesting. Unique offense, shows a lot of intensity. Not technically sound though. She didnt seem comfortable working from the lock up through those exchanges. Wasnt it said she knew nothing about pro wrestling until she got invited to that big tryout in China? I was happy to see she was savvy enough to cover up that first sunset flip attempt with the school boy. 

Post match attack from the 3HW served its purpose though I hope we dont continue to see Mia being associated with MJ and Lacey.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yim/Li was decent. MMA Horsewomen beat down was nice to see though not as good as their last one.

Dream/Gargano was pretty damn good though I thought that last bit of offensive combo Johnny hit that Dream kicked out of was a bit much.

Dream no-selling the superkick that late in the match bothered me. After everything Gargano hit him with, that should have been a death blow.

• Like 1

I like Gargano a lot, but his matches have become repetitive and predictable as he's always going for the indy epic endless 2.99 finisher kickout fest.

If the wrestling gods are kind and just, we will get The Bar against Lorcan and Burch at least once and LET THE VIOLENCE BEGIN.

If Mia Yim is to be brought into the orbit of the 3HW, I could be down for a six woman tag with the sky pirates teaming with her against Shayna and company. Basically anything that gets more sky pirates on my television.

Black vs Strong was a great way to start the show. I like Strong on his own and getting ReDragon back together in Undisputed Era.

I loved the little touch of Ciampa looking down over the north American title match. Curious to see where they go from here since they really hammered home about Gargano dropping the ball in his first title defense

I generally like Gargano despite his faults but man, anybody who does the thigh-slap for a chop pisses me off. Just chop the fucking guy! I mean dude is a hardcore thigh-slapper but lacks so much subtlety. Black slapped his thigh like 30 times in his match but he's so damn fast AND subtle you barely see it. 

I haven't looked at the next set of spoilers, but I just want to chime in and say I adore this story they're telling with Gargano. 

He finally bought into turning to the heel side of the coin and being a dirty ratfuck finally got him his first singles title. 

This week, a guy he's beaten before challenges him in his first defense.  Johnny's deluded himself over the last few weeks into believing his win was a result of nothing but his moxie and hard work. Of being JOHNNY WRESTLING!  It definitely was NOT breaking the rules via Ciampa's example of smashing someone's head onto concrete.  He did it alone!   So when Ciampa offers his support, of course Gargano rejects it out of hand.

And he gets beat.  

Oh boy, Johnny Wrestling... that sure sucks for you.  

---

I don't care who says they're sick of these two, I fucking love it.  It's easily the best story being currently told in the WWE at any level.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dude you're 100% correct. This is one of my favorite stories in wrestling right now and I don't think it has been uninteresting one time. The way they've been able to add one twist and turn after another is amazing. This is what long term storytelling should be.

The other beautiful part to this is that they've only faced off against each other a few times. Part of why feuds largely suck on the main roster is that you gets people facing off against each other every single week and so when they meet up again at a PPV there's nothing special about it. Hell, even when Finn was feuding with Elias, I would have been more interested in their feud and match if they didn't wrestle a bunch of times against each other on Raw.