DVDVR Message Board

Fastlane V - 3/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I suppose if two wrestlers did that Back Body Drop into a Samoan Drop cleanly and quickly, it might look like a sudden dramatic impact. Like "you were prepared to land like this, but we landed you like that, surprise!". But instead it reeks of "I want to do a Power move, here pick them up for me will you?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Ronda is in the Akiyama/Angle tier of "people who get pro wrestling right away."

This was an up and down show, but had more good than bad ultimately. The Kofi stuff was really dumb and detracted from an otherwise great match. They could've set it up with him getting screwed out of title matches on consecutive episodes of SD and accomplished the same goal for him. Still, Bryan and KO showed why they're elite, and Ali showed he belonged. Charlotte also had perhaps her best heel performance ever. The Shield got a proper feel-good sendoff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

The Boss & Hug Connection vs The Botch & "...ugh" Connection

I guess thinking "oh, shit, cover it up/play it off like Sasha's trying to reverse into a DDT and fight that off (or have Tamina come over and get some kicks in)" is easier said than done/the opposite of how they're being taught now.

The Botch & ...ugh Connection. Bravo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I suppose if two wrestlers did that Back Body Drop into a Samoan Drop cleanly and quickly, it might look like a sudden dramatic impact. Like "you were prepared to land like this, but we landed you like that, surprise!". But instead it reeks of "I want to do a Power move, here pick them up for me will you?"

It was supposed to be the toss up Samaon Drop the Usos have done. The thing is even the Usos stopped after a while because they couldn't get it perfect all of the time. Even when they go for it occasionally now it looks messed up most of the time. They should probably all stop trying to imitate Umaga with that one. They just don't have the strength or skill.

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Really? I've been expecting it literally since the first time Miz asked Shane to team with him.

I meant wrong more in that Miz isn't a super over face while Shane has been one of the more over faces for the past 2-3 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having Kofi lose to The Bar was dumb, but whatever. Hopefully they can pivot it back for Mania. 

Still think making Rousey vs. Lynch a Triple Threat is moronic, when the real angle is Lynch vs. Rousey, and Charlotte is just a third wheel at this point. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Having Kofi lose to The Bar was dumb, but whatever. Hopefully they can pivot it back for Mania. 

I agree, although I think the how was what made it bad. Kofi got no notable offense, he just got beaten down, beaten down even more, then he got pinned. On one hand I'm happy because I really enjoy the bar, but Kofi could have looked way more spirited in defeat without changing the outcome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I agree, although I think the how was what made it bad. Kofi got no notable offense, he just got beaten down, beaten down even more, then he got pinned. On one hand I'm happy because I really enjoy the bar, but Kofi could have looked way more spirited in defeat without changing the outcome. 

It's reminiscent of Rey Mysterio pre-WrestleMania 22, where Mysterio was practically buried and losing every week after he won the Royal Rumble. Orton beat him at No Way Out and basically made Mysterio look like a chump the whole time. 

It's WWE not knowing what to do with an over babyface, so defaulting to 'screwed by the authority'. It's old and tired and doesn't even suit the participants.

And it's a shame, because there's really fertile ground to explore here if they wanted to. Why can't they explore the correlations between Bryan's rise in 2014 to Kofi's rise now? If anyone can understand the groundswell of support for Kofi it should be the man who experienced the same thing, and then turned his back on it. I'm sure Bryan could do some good work with that. Why can't they explore the idea that Kofi and the New Day are the antithesis of Daniel Bryan, and represent everything he stands against? I'm sure Daniel Bryan could do some good work with that. Why can't they explore and dig into the dynamic of the New Day, their loyalty and their friendship? How would Big E react if he was given the opportunity to earn a world title match? What if Xavier Woods had to beat Bryan in order for Kofi to get another shot? 

I mean, I get that there's a lot of time to fill, and even now we're still 4 weeks away, and this kind of fell into their lap, and they had to change plans... But it's a bit disconcerting that the best they've come up with so far is "have him job in a handicap match, pal!"

• Like 8

20 hours ago, nate said:

This move doesn't even make a damn bit of sense.  A back body is a flip/back bump, so why would Sasha land like that?  There's nothing that any momentum from the back body would add to the move, so it's a lot of wasted effort for nothing more than a Samoan drop.  In fact, from a kayfabe perspective, it lengthens the time needed that Tamina can relax to be the fresh partner (the extra effort to throw Sasha wen she could have just let Nia do a regular Samoan drop).

And how the hell could Numpty *not* hold her up (aside from the obvious that she - Nia - is out of position)?

Goddamn, they suck.

It seems pretty clear that Sasha needed to clear Tamina's shoulders and hop onto Nia's but, just like her funky dives, she pointed her head down. She is like that kid in middle school that could never quite figure out how to make a paper airplane and it always nose-dived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

And it's a shame, because there's really fertile ground to explore here if they wanted to. Why can't they explore the correlations between Bryan's rise in 2014 to Kofi's rise now? If anyone can understand the groundswell of support for Kofi it should be the man who experienced the same thing, and then turned his back on it. I'm sure Bryan could do some good work with that. Why can't they explore the idea that Kofi and the New Day are the antithesis of Daniel Bryan, and represent everything he stands against? I'm sure Daniel Bryan could do some good work with that. Why can't they explore and dig into the dynamic of the New Day, their loyalty and their friendship? How would Big E react if he was given the opportunity to earn a world title match? What if Xavier Woods had to beat Bryan in order for Kofi to get another shot? 

This would all be great. The issue is that they fucked up and didn't switch Owens and Kofi respective ppv matches soon enough so they need an excuse to get Kofi out of the Fastlane match while keeping him and crowd hot for for WM. I think the smarter thing would have been to have Rowan and a returned Harper murder New Day rather than Vince replace Kofi with Owens. Then we could have seen everything you mentioned.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Looking at your avatar I'm imagining Charlotte saying it with that look and I can't help but laugh.

Then, she knee drops the sheet of paper and lets out a "Mean by god Gene".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

It's WWE not knowing what to do with an over babyface, so defaulting to 'screwed by the authority'. It's old and tired and doesn't even suit the participants.

I mean, I get that there's a lot of time to fill, and even now we're still 4 weeks away, and this kind of fell into their lap, and they had to change plans... But it's a bit disconcerting that the best they've come up with so far is "have him job in a handicap match, pal!"

With Austin they were smart enough to not have him job every week when he was getting the big push. 

• Like 1

Nah, they protected top babyfaces back then.

I really think it's because of Bryan getting more and more over while he got beat down every week, so they think that's what you do now. It's starting to hit Becky now as well. 

• Like 1