DVDVR Message Board

Fastlane V - 3/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The good (Bryan/KO/Ali, Raw tag titles, US title) was really good, while the bad was really bad. The Shield match was exactly what it should have been. I thought Ali was doomed when he came out, but to his credit, got the crowd back on his side.

The aftermath of the Usos vs. Shane/Miz was hilariously bad. Shane is really good at jumping from high places, but not so much with punches and MMA holds. Nia and Tamina make Bad Luck Fale and Hikuleo look like ring generals. Yes, that was completely intentional. Mandy has improved, but she was outclassed by Asuka. Her and Sonya should be chasing Bayley and Sasha instead. I wonder where they go with Asuka for WM. I hope it's not a three way match vs. Mandy and Sonya.

The crowd said it best about the Bar vs. Kofi. It was just boring, and not really needed. I have a bad feeling the racial element is going to be introduced for Vince punishing the New Day. We've seen how badly WWE does race angles, and I hope they're smart enough this time to avoid going that direction

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bryan vs. Owens vs. Ali had the hard task of getting the crowd back on their side with the crowd wanting Kofi. Reminded me of the crowd sitting on the 2014 Royal Rumble match when Bryan wasn't the 30th entrant and the 2015 Royal Rumble when he was eliminated early.

Literally my first thought was Rey Mysterio as #30 and how he got booed out the building and thinking, "They've killed Ali dead as a babyface by putting him in this spot". But to his credit, he got the crowd back after they got over Kofi not being there. To someone else's point there's not a lot of guys who COULD have done that. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder where they go with Asuka for WM. I hope it's not a three way match vs. Mandy and Sonya.

I’m afraid you hit the nail on the head. 

Fun show, Bryan vs Owens vs Ali was nuts, really enjoyed it. 

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Joe vs. Cena at Wrestlemania has to happen. 

This is a feud that’s been right there for them for a while. I think they were gonna run with it last year when one or the other dude got hurt (can’t remember).

Anyway the inevitable Joe promo about being boys in UPW while Cena went Hollywood and Joe took the hard road will be incredible. Cena’s shooty mcshootshoot stuff about “Orlando” notsomuch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Literally my first thought was Rey Mysterio as #30 and how he got booed out the building and thinking, "They've killed Ali dead as a babyface by putting him in this spot". But to his credit, he got the crowd back after they got over Kofi not being there. To someone else's point there's not a lot of guys who COULD have done that. 

Someone mentioned that if they wanted to pick someone to turn a hostile or uninterested crowd into one that is into a match, Mustafa Ali is literally the first pick. He has done it for 2 years on 205 Live.

• Like 4

This show had some shiny spots ( D-Bry vs Owens vs Ali, US $ way) but there was some questionable shit. Why was Becky vs Charlotte only 8 minutes? What was Asuka vs Rose? The Shield match was what it should have been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would prefer Asuka vs. Mandy & Sonya to the rumored Asuka vs. Lacey Evans.  It probably wouldn't be great but it'd be watchable. 

Meanwhile, Asuka/Charlotte II was right there instead of the three way nobody really wanted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great show.

Mustafa Ali has something special. Amazing how those 3 pulled that crowd back around.

The Rousey run in is perfect for the story they are telling. We can argue black and blue about if it's a good story or not but her being so pissed off that she wants to break BOTH Becky and Charlotte that she would intentionally make the match harder is just great.

In all the hype for the women main eventing, WWE is on the road to Kofi Mania.

Will anyone on commentary mention how Kofi is looking to become the historic, first ever, black WWE Champion? I know they count The Rock (who clearly identifies more as an islander/samoan) and cheat a little by including Booker T and Mark Henry (who won the World title, not the WWE Title with it's history and lineage) but Kofi as an African born, African Amercian WWE Champion would be making some incredible history. It should be Ron Simmons beating Vader level historic/iconic.

• Like 2

If it is Nattie/Beth vs. Tamina/Nia at Mania that match will be a car crash that you can't look away from. 

Whenever Bayley and Sasha do finally have their feud I hope Bayley brings up it took her winning the match for Sasha to finally have a successful title defense on the Main Roster. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Meanwhile, Asuka/Charlotte II was right there instead of the three way nobody really wanted.

They really need to build Asuka up as Becky's first challenge and have her destroy someone at WrestleMania.  But they can't even have her kill Mandy Rose of all people, Mandy had to almost literally slip on a banana peel to lose, so yeah, she's probably in some preshow bullshit where Lacey beats her because Asuka gets distracted by Lacey's hat or something stupid like that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Will anyone on commentary mention how Kofi is looking to become the historic, first ever, black WWE Champion? I know they count The Rock (who clearly identifies more as an islander/samoan) and cheat a little by including Booker T and Mark Henry (who won the World title, not the WWE Title with it's history and lineage) but Kofi as an African born, African Amercian WWE Champion would be making some incredible history. It should be Ron Simmons beating Vader level historic/iconic.

I feel like they wouldn't take that path for the simple fact that they'd be devaluing one title as less than the other.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They might not want to make mention of it because it's embarrassing it hasn't happened yet.  They control who becomes champion and since 1963...  99% white dudes. 

It's even more embarrassing when you consider Jinder Mahal has been WWE champion before Kofi. It's not embarrassing because Jinder is Indo-Canadian, but because he's flat out awful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mark Henry and Booker T were world champions. We can argue semantics about the prestige of the big gold until the cows come home. The fact is it was the focal point of the blue brand. Just like Bryan's belt is. I get it's cool to play identity politics, if you're not advocating for whites obviously.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rick said:

Mark Henry and Booker T were world champions. We can argue semantics all day about the prestige of the big gold until the cows come home. The fact is it was the focal point of the blue brand. Just like Bryan's belt is. I get it's cool to play identity politics, if you're not advocating for whites obviously.

It's not advocating for Kofi because he isn't white.

It's promoting the fact that (assuming he wins the title) he will be the first black WWE champion. A truly historic moment and accolade.

We've had Latino champions, European champions of various backgrounds, Polynesian champions and Asian champions (if you count India as part of Asia and recognise Inoki's run) but never, not with Ernie Ladd, JYD, Tony Atlas, Ron Simmons, Ahmed Johnson, Mark Henry, Booker T, MVP, Shelton Benjamin and Bobby Lashley all getting upper card and main event runs at various times, have we had a black WWE Champion.

While I can understand the position that the World Title was just as important, it doesn't have the history or recognition of the WWE Title. At least not in the WWE scope of "this isn't the WCW/NWA Title and it only dates back to when Triple H was first crowned".

For Kofi Kingston. Boom boom boom, bad accent, "controlled frenzy" Kofi Kingston, to grow and develop and end up in this position is monumental.

If he wins the title it should be celebrated as such.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

I don't disagree with any of that. But the label of the ''first black world champion'' is kinda flawed when The Rock is African-American and Henry and Book have held *world titles*. 

I'm rooting for Kofi because of all the things you said - his hardships and his right to be there with his outstanding work as of late. That's it.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wanted a three-way. And I still think even with some of the narrative issues in the build (in my opinion it would have been a lot easier and more satisfying if Charlotte won the Rumble and this Fastlane match was Becky earning her way in the first time rather than again, but the rumour is that Vince personally insisted despite Creative's objections to have Becky win the Rumble, and here we are), the match will deliver, especially if they drop the Becky injury angle.

Edited by RIShane
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Someone mentioned that if they wanted to pick someone to turn a hostile or uninterested crowd into one that is into a match, Mustafa Ali is literally the first pick. He has done it for 2 years on 205 Live.

This. Daniel Bryan be another. The crowd only woke up for Bryan turning on the Wyatt Family on RAW in January 2014 and Daniel Bryan brought back the crowd at WrestleMania XXX after the Streak was ended.

• Like 1