DVDVR Message Board

SDL is NXT Too - 2/19/2019

Dolfan in NYC

#kofimania is alive and well.  Sorta.  Hey,  at least he gets a big title match on a PPV with Bryan.  Of course,  I think this is a tough situation.  If it's me booking this show I have Kofi get screwed over in some way either by Rowan or maybe a returning Harper and try to milk this already existing story all the way to WrestleMania.  It's only 40-some odd days and they could do various matches involving New Day and the Bludgeon Brothers.  

Now I'm turning fantasy booking off.  What's more likely to happen is Kofi loses again but I don't see the point. That will piss more fans off (okay, so maybe that is the point?) and it will make sure that whoever Bryan does face at Mania is not over..  Yes, I think even a returning Kevin Owens will receive lukewarm reactions.  Cena,  forget it..  

Kofi is going to become or has already become Daniel Bryan from 2014 leading in to WM XXX. Fans will not accept it if Kofi doesn't go to Mania to face Bryan for the title and win it there. There will be "KOFI" chants all night long constantly and whatever Mania match Bryan has will be booed from beginning to end. They have stumbled in to a perfect WrestleMania storyline here with a great ending moment (tm) for Kofi at the big show, which they are always saying they're looking for. If Kofi loses at Fastlane, then what for him? He ends up in another tag match or the battle royal at Mania and the fans revolt? They HAVE to see what they have with this. Whatever they think they have planned for Bryan just will not work anymore and they have to call an audible like they did with Bryan for WM XXX. Fans will not accept anything but Kofi/Bryan at Mania for the title at this point.

So, according to you, it's either give Kofi Kingston a run with the belt (something that nobody was even asking for a week ago when Ali was still in the gauntlet/EC match), or else they run the chance of Bryan's WrestleMania opponent getting a bad reaction... because it's not Kofi? Huh? Hypothetically, and according to Meltzer these are names that have been thrown around for Bryan at 'Mania... if any combination of Bray Wyatt, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Batista, Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens was to be his challenger, they'd get a "lukewarm reaction" because Kofi didn't get his moment in the sun? Which, again, is something that was only brought up when Mustafa Ali got injured and Kofi was announced as his replacement. Before that, most people were getting apathetic towards The New Day. But now, it's either KOFI WINS OR EVERYTHING SUCKS.

Once again, the heel is right. FICKLE!

EDIT: Wow, I'm just not understanding this I guess, maybe I'm the only one. I think fans will move on after he loses to Bryan at Fastlane. In no way, shape or form is Kofi Kingston as over as Daniel Bryan was in 2013/2014.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is exactly what I'm saying. That's why I said they have stumbled in to this. This is the match that nobody knew they wanted until it was right there. In two weeks, Kofi went from getting the typical "New Day pop and haha Ok New Day is so silly woo hoo" to being the most over guy on SDL. Not only do fans now realize they want this for a guy who has always been respected as a top performer for a decade, but he has major backstage support and people pulling for him there as well. 

Glad the NXT crew was far more over tonight.

Dug DIY/Bar and Black/Almas though Almas losing again kind of annoys me. Was scared for Ciampa after Sheamus fell on his knee. Hope he is ok.

Mandy/Asuka was ok, but Sonya/Asuka would be way better and more interesting as a match.

My DVR got screwy the lats few minutes of the show so I completely missed the announcement of Kofi getting the title shot at Fastlane, but I'm so damn happy its happening. Hopefully they pull the trigger unless the plan is to do so at WM.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm just not understanding this I guess, maybe I'm the only one. I think fans will move on after he loses to Bryan at Fastlane.

You aren't the only one but you are definitely in the minority. I can already see it happening. First of all,  Angle,  Taker,  Cena?  Sorry but nobody gives a crap at this point. They get their little "thank you" applause and that's about it.   Zayn and Owens can get nice reactions but neither has been on television for months and months.  

Why do you believe scrapping a perfectly built story for a rushed 3-week story.. is the way to go? 

• Like 1

Everything about the way they handled the NXT crew was better tonight than last night by a mile. They're still in a holding pattern with the last batch of callups as far as getting actual angles going. At least they remembered Sanity were still on the roster tonight.

They brought up the questions most people have been asking to Asuka. While Lacy Evans has potential she's way too green to be in a ppv title match, same with Mandy. Sonya is better but it would be a lot of work to build her as a legit contender.

Bryan is pretty much the most over guy on the roster regardless of him being a heel or face. One of the biggest differences between Bryan a few years ago and Kofi now is that people like the guy on top so him holding onto the belt isn't as much of a downer, plus Bryan's rise and the program heading into Mania had been going on for months. It's not like Kofi has been floundering in obscurity or is going to go back there - for the past several years he's been part of the most consistently over and steadily pushed groups on either roster. I'm still hoping for Bryan/Rey at Mania. If they do end up bringing back Sami or Owens as his opponent, who ends up being the heel?

This is hilarious because it's some of the same people who say "WWE never gives fans what they want"  and "WWE never strikes when the iron is hot.."  and now a perfect story falls right into their lap six weeks from WrestleMania that three cities were clearly behind and has been trending on Twitter all day and you would rather WWE ignore that story and opt for something that will be maybe 40% as over?  

That is fickle. 

• Like 2

Fun show. 

I really liked Mandy/Asuka. Mandy is a great cheapshot artist heel. That was a really great carry job by Asuka. I think that could be a really fun feud. 

DIY/The Bar was also good. But DIY are not going to click on the main roster. I have such a weird relationship with DIY. DIY/Revival is one of my handful of all-time favorite matches. Gargano and Ciampa have both been in so many great singles matches. But man they overall do not do it for me. 

One of my favorite parts about the show: No Becky and just a little bit of Charlotte. That's just the perfect amount of breathing room. They gave us a great Ronda match last night. Charlotte cut a great jerk heel promo to keep the main event on everyone's mind. But they're giving it breathing room this week after Elimination Chamber. 

The Kofi Fairytale is just such an amazing thing they stumbled onto. I got legit scared when he was talking about his brothers that Big E and Xavier were going to turn on him. It's just a great "right person, right place, right time" angle. Daniel Bryan is doing some of the best heel work in years. That's keeping the heels on the roster away from getting a title push against him. They just ran DB vs. Styles. Jeff Hardy sucks. Ali got hurt. Kofi just did what he has done for a really long time -- and that's take his shot. And I love that collectively everyone at once sort of realized that he's sorta really awesome. 

• Like 2

why do these random nxt callups automatically go over everyone while they do nothing significant with the ones they promoted for a month with those vignettes like ec3, lacey, & cross.

36 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Mandy/Asuka was ok, but Sonya/Asuka would be way better and more interesting as a match.

I'm hoping they use it with Asuka beating Mandy at fastLane to transition into Asuka/Sonya for WM. Thought with Asuka bringing up beating Charlotte and Becky that she'd keep that momentum going so it did feel a bit ridiculous for the once unbeatable to get pinned by Mandy just like that but oh well.

FWIW, there's been plenty of us here who have wanted Kofi to get a championship run ever since Woods and Big E said it was their mission a couple years ago. Last year I thought Kofi winning the Royal Rumble made a lot of sense since the field was wide open and AJ vs Kofi would be good. I know there were others on here on board with that idea too. It didn't happen so we had to wait even longer. 

For those of you who are naysayers, has it occurred to you that this reaction has been as big as it has been because people have waited and wanted to see this for a long time. Now that we're being teased with it we want it even more. And for those who didn't want this before and want it now, maybe it's because this is a really fucking cool idea to give Kofi a run at the top and those people didn't realize that until now. 

We see what's happening, we just want to see it play out the right way. 

• Like 2

Give me a reason it should be anyone other than Kofi given that there's an undeniable large amount of support he's receiving and him winning the title would actually make people happy. 

Damn. Remember that? Remember when WM sent people home happy instead of confused, pissed off, dejected, or ambivalent? There are a number of matches they can put on at WM this year and actually make a lot of people happy. Why not make Kofi and DB part of that where they'll have had two months worth of a build to it instead of giving the title shot to someone returning where the build will only be 3 weeks?

They've stumbled into a winner. It would be nice to see them ride the hot hand for a change. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

FWIW, there's been plenty of us here who have wanted Kofi to get a championship run ever since Woods and Big E said it was their mission a couple years ago. Last year I thought Kofi winning the Royal Rumble made a lot of sense since the field was wide open and AJ vs Kofi would be good. I know there were others on here on board with that idea too. It didn't happen so we had to wait even longer. 

I love how you all are all in on Kofi and are now acting like you were there from the get-go.  Yeah, like there was this massive Kofi movement that WWE never listened to.  No, Kofi got the chance because Ali was fucked up.  He was just some dude. And Kofi told everybody "fuck you" and seized the opportunity.  He did this shit. WITHOUT YOU.  But keep patting yourselves on the back as if you were responsible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Give me a reason it should be anyone other than Kofi given that there's an undeniable large amount of support he's receiving and him winning the title would actually make people happy. 

Give me a reason I should be motivated to take a steaming dump on a hypothetical alternative I may find perfectly compelling.