DVDVR Message Board

Well, there's the jinx. Basho is wide open once more. Takakeisho gets Hoshoryu and a chance to catch up. Co leaders Takayasu and Oho face ea other, ensuring at least one Rikishi with 11 wins before senshuraku.

I expect Oho to face Takakeisho on Saturday no matter what. Not sure if they go with Shodai or Mitakeumi on the final day, but I'm sure it will be a sanyaku guy. Mitakeumi seems most likely because... 

Hoshoryu should be set in stone pretty much, Takakeisho - Shodai - Wakatakakage. 

Depending on the result, Takayasu might get Abi on Saturday who is only one win back. After that, maybe Kagayaki? He faced all upper rankers in the first eight days. 

Takayasu looked iffy and still won on Day 14, going into the last day as sole leader. Oh man. I can barely stand to look.

At least Takakeisho and Abi are the other guys in the running. Hoshoryu will get there one day but I don't know if the Japanese spirit can handle four different Mongolians in a row taking the yusho (although it did happen in 2015 cause I had to look it up). And while I was looking stuff up I noticed - this'll be the first time six different rikishi win a top division tournament during a calendar year since 1972. Neat.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

This sounds completely nuts:

With (Shodai's) drop from ozeki for the New Year Tournament, it will mark the first time ever since the status of the yokozuna rank was clearly defined in 1909 that there will be only one yokozuna and one ozeki in the rankings.

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly there are two scandals breaking at once these days. One, Ichinojo is suspended for violating covid protocol, he's also in shit for overdrinking and turning into a violent drunk but officially the suspension is over the covid rules.

Two, sadly, the stablemaster of Isegahema is off of the senior committie and bumped down the list for not reporting in-house abuses.

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1607637769639149571?s=20&t=yKIj2YcouDyomjgwXX89nw

The gist of it is that wrestler A picked on wrestler B by hitting him, wrestler C also joined in on that but later apologized. Wrestler A on another occasion also dumped a pot of boiling chanko on wrestler B, which sounds incredibly fucked up. Wrestler A will be sent into retirement (which is the least he should face for that), wrestler C is suspended but because he is still a young prospect he's not being booted. But overall sounds very shitty.

• 3 weeks later...

It just seems like with Hoshoryu injured, no one is really that much of a contender. But Kotoshoho is somehow Takakeisho's closest pursuer, what an odd situation in general. 

In Juryo, Asanoyama seemingly finally found a lower division groove, he is 10-0. The Sumo association members will all keep their fingers crossed, they need Ozeki caliber Rikishi. 

De facto play off, Takakeisho and Kotoshoho will meet in tomorrow's senshuraku matchup to determine the tournament winner, both at 11-3.

Good choice imo, giving both men a shot at beating their rival. It also makes more sense than Takakeisho v Shodai, which would have been the other matchup. 

Onosho lost to Kiribayama today, he is therefore eliminated from the title race. He faces Hoshoryu tomorrow who is injured (shame after a decent start to the tournament), yet still has a shot at kachi koshi. 

So far I'm counting five guaranteed free spots in Makuuchi, which will lead to a good chunk of the well performing Juryo Rikishi getting into the top division. It will be interesting to see if Juryo Yusho winner Asanoyama with what might be a 14-1 score tomorrow could be among those. 

Takakeisho takes the win and the Yusho, beating Kotoshoho with a nice... Sukuinage?! That can't be right... But it is. Congrats, battle hamster. 

Takakeisho very likely on a real Yokozuna run in Osaka, another Yusho will likely see him through, no matter what the score will be. If it wasn't for his two losses on Day 11 and 12, they might have gone for the promotion already. 

• 1 month later...

For as depressing as the top division has been this basho, it's nice to see these new wave debuts show up. They're like a big fat cleansing fire that will rid us of this post-Hakuho misery sumo, maybe? Anybody watching Ochiai in juryo? He's 8-2 and has a 9-1 Ichinojo tomorrow.

Times of transition are often awkward, but while no one seems to be able to take up the crown right now and we are severely lacking consistent top guys, there are quite a few guys with tons of potential and the Sumo is mostly very good and often spectacular. In a year or two we will probably see this period for what it is. 

• 1 month later...

Ichinojo up and retired. Claiming back pain so hellish he has to sleep sitting up. Maybe it's a cover for more drama with the drinking and acting out, but I'll take his big-ass word for it. First tournament I ever watched in full was his stupendous debut. Glad he got a yusho before it ended.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really good to see a healthier Terunofuji back. He is the one to beat. 

At this rate, there has to be a definitive concern that we'll be Ozeki-less in July. Takakeisho looks in trouble, the most likely candidates for promotion seem somewhat shaky. On the other hand, we might aswell get four... Crazy. 

I said on day 1 when Teru came out for the dohyo iri ceremony that his arms looked massive and he must have just lifted weights the whole time his knees were fucked, and that's played out. He looks *absurdly* strong. Just tossing 400 pound guys around like they're a single sandbag. It's honestly awesome to behold.

I've said it before, but I truly believe that the biggest advantage that the Yokozuna have is the ability to take a tournament or three off to rest up without it affecting their rank. There are some banged up guys down there who could really use some R&R time to get back to their sharpest.

Also, what the hell is Hokuseiho? Is he actually good, or is he just tall? Hoshoryu, similarly has padded his record with two Fusensho wins and looks like a genius when he's throwing people but not when he's not.

I have finally forgiven Midorifuji for that needless henka he pulled on Abi in juryo a while back, while Abi was on a charge for the Yusho and Midorifuji was already MK: Abi returned the favour twice the other day and was treated with the contempt he was due. Twice.

Typically he tends to have a lot of matches where they stand there and hug until the other guy gets tired of trying to move a literal giant. The joke about him in twitch chat is that his nickname is Tree and that he roots himself to the dohyo which gives him the advantage of absorbing the clay's nutrients.

I don't get the Hokuseiho hate at all. Modern giant dudes who lean on you, pure yotsu megaliths are a rare breed and he's adding just enough layers to that burrito each time out. I'm not sure if he's an inevitability, but I won't be surprised if it turns out that way.

Ochai, though. Jesus. Lookit that damned kid. Him and Gonoyama are both 9-0 in Juryo and I hope they match up while still undefeated. The future is HERE. Also Ukrainian Shishi is 5-0 @ Makushita #2. I gather he's really been putting it together this year.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:45 AM, Death From Above said:

Typically he tends to have a lot of matches where they stand there and hug until the other guy gets tired of trying to move a literal giant. The joke about him in twitch chat is that his nickname is Tree and that he roots himself to the dohyo which gives him the advantage of absorbing the clay's nutrients.

He's not as bad for that as Ichinojo, but he's got a long way to go before he reaches the level of the True Imp of Makuuchi: URA. That young man is just too chaotic for Sumo, he should go chase the Road Runner or something.