DVDVR Message Board

Well that was a fantastic day of sumo. I'm done trying to figure out Shodai. Terunofuji/Hoshoryu was just silly. Another ashitori, the Tochinoshin dump truck move, Kiribayama bumping like Mr. Perfect, cool Ura stuff, a Hokutofuji torpedo, maybe the fastest I've seen Ichinojo react (low bar)... this'll be a good place to pause after every heya gets COVID tomorrow.

• Like 1

It's a shame about all the covid withdrawls, again, but what can you do really?

This tournament sums up pefectly why Shodai is one of my favourites. He's the most predictably unpredictable force in all of sports. I KNEW he would beat an undefeated Ichinojo in my gut, because it's the most Shodai thing possible.

• Like 1

Wakamotuharu and Kiribayama have two fantastic bouts. Co-Leaders Terunofuji and Ichinojo aswell as pursuer Takakeisho loose. 

The Basho itself is marked with Covid infections, Day 13 in particular had a streak of 5 bouts with fusenpai for the non-infectees, two more to go in other matches. This also ended Tamawashi's 1400+ matches streak without absences. 

It will be very interesting to see how the JSA will handle rankings after this tournament. If the non-makekoshi ranks (at least for those rikishi not makekoshi at that point) get frozen like precedent indicates they could be, there will be lots of chaos. 

No playoff today, since Ichinojo overcame Ura while Takakeisho channeled his former (pre injury) self and hinted at how exciting a Terunofuji - Takakeisho could have been with a healthier Ozeki. 

Assuming there will still be significant Banzuke movement after all the Covid withdrawals (and presumed frozen ranks in the process), there will be (maybe third) Sekiwake Ichinojo (trumping Hoshoryu's very good 9-6 at Komusubi east) in September and probably Komusubi Kiribayama. 

I also expect Ryuden and Mitoryu to make Makuuchi. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what particular problems your knees have to possess for Tobizaru and Ura to yorikiri you - but Ichinojo is easy. if I didn't pledge my undying hatred for Terunofuji all those years ago I'd be glad he's hanging in there.

am a Hokutofuji guy and I'm glad he's doing well. No illusions about a yusho but let's see how far he can ride this wave.

Fucking Shodai.

My bold prediction is that nobody is going to win this tournament. Buncha dudes lookin good like the afformentioned Tobizaru and Ura + Wakamotoharu and Tamawashi. Even the hopelessly overranked Midorifuji totally brought it to Hoshoryu today, that was nasty sumo the way he went after his elbow and pie-faced him.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This has been a depressing basho for me. Mitakeumi looks busted, Shodai looks like he wants to retire, Kotonowaka isn't ready to take the next step, Wakatakakage can't beat the guys he should beat, Ura is 1-7, Tamawashi looks like a shell of the guy that won last tournament, and Atamifuji is going to one-and-done his top division debut. Only positive has been Hoshoryu looking like a beast and Tobizaru beating that dirty fat fuck Takakeisho.

• Like 1