DVDVR Message Board

Mitakeumi and Terunofuji are in the lead after 10 days with 9 wins each. They are already starting to mix up the schedule a bit, it's Mitakeumi vs Shodai later on today. Abi is still in the hunt with an 8-2 score and might get matched with both leaders aswell in the remaining days. 

As I'm mentally preparing for a booster shot, here is a rundown off where we are at right now, heading into the final day:

Mitakeumi leads the Basho with a record of 12-2. He might be able to get Ozeki thanks to his tournament. 

In second place are 3 Rikishi, all at 11-3:

Terunofuji, Abi and Kotonowaka. 

The Torikumi for senshuraku is not yet published, but it's highly likely we'll get Abi vs Kotonowaka and Mitakeumi vs Terunofuji tomorrow. Should Terunofuji win the very final match of the tournament, we could therefore get a three men ketteisen. 

Terunofuji looks quite banged up (knees) and today probably didn't help, with a bad landing when getting pushed off the dohyo by Abi. Mitakeumi seems mostly very solid, two very bad losses, otherwise dominant over his opponents. Their matchup tomorrow statistically favors the Yokozuna, who won their last seven matches in a row. Mitakeumi's tactical approach will be interesting. 

Abi faced Mitakeumi and Terunofuji, going 1-1. He beat Takanosho, aswell as a few Maegashira rank 5 or higher. 

Kotonowaka is kind of the odd-man-out, not having faced other contenders so far, so it's hard to predict how he will fare tomorrow. He has had a good schedule for a "Yusho sneak". At Maegashira 14 he only today faced a sanyaku opponent in afromentioned Sekiwake Takanosho, his other "high" rank opponents being M3 Tamawashi and M7 Takarafuji. His other opponents were all rank 11 or lower. 

Mitakeumi handily defeated a visibly banged up Terunofuji to win the tournament. During the Yusho interview, the interviewer announced that their would be a special convention of the sumo elders. This means they will promote Mitakeumi to Ozeki. He couldn't hide a smile and needed a moment before he could reply. A really good moment. Mitakeumi is the first Ozeki from Nagano Prefecture in 227 years, his predecessor was the legendary Raiden Tameemon, who is almost a mythical Sumo superhero of the late 18th, early 19th century. 

Abi gets his second 12-3 Jun-Yusho in a row. My personal favourite Ura won his final match, getting a really good kachi koshi at career high Maegashira 2 east.

Just about as fun a tournament as you could ask for. Yeah, we didn't get the 3 way playoff but Mita getting the Ozeki monkey of his back is a major thing that I wasn't sure I'd ever see.

Ura overcoming a concussion and getting his kachikoshi from M2, Abi putting his foot down as a main motherfucker, Ishiura is good now?, another Waka brother in the mix... two kadoban Ozeki in March + questions about Terunofuji's health will make things nice and spicy. I can dig it.

• Like 1

Best tournament in a while? Drama until the very last.

Mitakeumi couldn't really contain his joy during the whole victory interview, great to see. I think he'll make a pretty good Ozeki, even with his habit of not nailing the second week he's a guy that seems to be around 9+ wins constantly, he's not going to drop Ozeki for a while.

Greatest shit eating grin in sumo today. Deserving promotion, now that it's official it has to be said. 

Oldest active Rikishi Hanakaze-well not anymore- retired aged 51. He was in Sumo for almost 36 years, with only 13 absences. Highest rank was Sandanme 18, which he reached in 2003. He will work at a chanko restaurant, from what I gather. Godspeed, Hanakaze... Or Yamaguchi-San. 

• 1 month later...

Two months flew buy, the older I get the more I wonder whatever happens to all the time I used to have... 

Anyway, Haru 2022 is upon us. After what felt like fucking everyone in Sumo got Covid in the end of January, it appears nobody has withdrawn before the tournament. Two kadoban- and one shin-Ozeki try to challenge Terunofuji, who has sanyaku-debutee Hoshoryu for his first opponent. 

Ura will challenge Takakeisho. Shodai v Daeisho, Takakeisho v Ura and Mitakeumi v Ichinojo are the highlight bouts for Day 1. Let's go! 

Actually up-to-date with this one instead of playing catchup. Looks like this could be a fun one, but there are a lot of guys in way over their heads - poor Ishiura, for one. I want to see how the sekiwake play out, Abi vs. Wakatakakage is something I'm in to. And jfc if I have to watch one more day of Shodai's Kadoban Depression Sumo...

Shodai is pretty clearly fucked up with long COVID but even that doesn't explain all of it. He just looks mentally not into the pressure of Ozeki right now.

Ura is having a rough go but high M sucks week 1 so maybe he has a better week 2 at least.

Gagamaru was doing commentary with Abema last night, dude has lost an Enho worth of weight since retirement:

Well this isn't shaping up to look like I thought it was going to.

Shodai, dude, you are taking me on a wild ride. These last five days aren't going to be easy.

Kotonowaka looks like a killer. Wakatakakage looks like an expert. Takayasu looks like a yokozuna, can't wait to see how he blows it.

As we are heading into the weekend... 

Takayasu 12-1

Wakatakakage 11-2

Mitakeumi, Kotonowaka 10-3

Mitakeumi and Kotonowaka face each other today, so one of them will be eliminated from contention, maybe both, depending on what Takayasu does. Every winner is an intriguing possibility ?