DVDVR Message Board

Ura has toned down considerably, probably for the best, but he is still oh so exciting. 

Apropos exciting: Terunofuji and Hakuho both move into senshuraku with 14-0, which means de facto playoff between both for the Yusho. I think we will get a new Yokozuna, no matter what. A 14-1 Jun Yusho should be enough. That being said: Terunofuji can be considered the favourite here, his form is amazing.

Shodai and Takayasu meet for a last shot at kachi koshi today. One will take the fall, though. 

Hakuho seemed really angry with Shodai. Those were palm strikes. Showdown today, both big Mongols are at 14-0, either we get Terunofuji's first or Hakuho's 16th Zensho. Fantastic tournament on top. 

Takayasu and Shodai square off for kachi koshi. 

Ura finished up at 10-5, and the people rejoiced! Hoshoryu 10-5 and looking impressive as hell near the top of the banzuke. 

I'm still working my way through the day's bouts but I just had to pop in to say that was an utterly SCANDALOUS henka from Midorifuji. 5-9, up against a guy going for the Juryo Yusho in Abi, and he pulls that? Boothatman.gif

Edited by DangerMark
Correcting that slug Midorifuji's record.

Spoiler

From channelling Liger with the Shotei yesterday, Hakuho brings a Misawa Elbow to start. That was a proper clash of the titans. He seemed pretty pleased. What's that, sixteen Zensho Yusho for him? I don't even think the rest of the top division has sixteen yusho between them.

Gutted for Takayasu, hope he doesn't fall too far.

Hoshoryu is pretty good. M2 next time out for him?

I'm still furious with Midorifuji. I normally don't mind a Henka if you need the win, but the man was Make Koshi already.

VIOLENCE.

oh my god he opened with an *eye poke*. Stiff as shit forearm shiver-shiver. Looping open-handed hooks. Psychopathic amateur elbow surgery & a howl at the moon. If that's where he had to go in order to zensho-yusho over a new yokozuna (essentially), ok. GOATs do GOAT shit.

Hakuho mentioned concern for his knee in post match interview. That might explain avoiding a tachiai collision and just striking the last two days. Who did he beat with the elbow causing an immediate ass bump a couple years ago?

13 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Hakuho mentioned concern for his knee in post match interview. That might explain avoiding a tachiai collision and just striking the last two days. Who did he beat with the elbow causing an immediate ass bump a couple years ago?

Myogiryu. He really didn't have to do him like this.

EDIT: Oh, wait, a couple of years? Maybe you mean Endo?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

There must be a third time out there. It was like the Myogiru bump, but I didn't have Japanese TV that long ago.

Sumo is a real brutal sport. Gaikokujin can't get past seeing fat guys with their asses showing.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, DangerMark said:
  Hide contents

Gutted for Takayasu, hope he doesn't fall too far.

Hoshoryu is pretty good. M2 next time out for him?

I'm still furious with Midorifuji. I normally don't mind a Henka if you need the win, but the man was Make Koshi already.

Banzuke is out, Takayasu went down to Komisubi and I was one out with my Hoshoryu prediction: M1. Ichinojo, who is quite possibly the worst wrestler in terms of technique in the top division, is back up in San'yaku.

I remain furious with Midorifuji, who clings on to a Juryo spot despite his utter sluggery against my boy Abi. Even with the win, Abi wouldn't have been promoted - looks like only Yutakayama went up this time - but next time.

Yeah, only one promotion, that's quite rare. Also, Juryo will have one empty spot at Juryo 9 West because Takaganja, pardon, - genji. Of all the things he supposedly did, THIS is the one that gets him kicked out off Sumo... Amazing. 

Much movement on the banzuke, they went with a third Sekiwake (maybe since Asanoyama won't be active?), so we have 9 sanyaku on paper. 

I don't believe Hakuho will fight the full 15 days. Maybe he wins one, which would be his 900th victory as a Yokozuna, then retires. Or he now wins the next 6 Yushos. What the heck do I know about Sumo, other than that I love it? 

Miyagino-beya had two cases of Covid and will sit out Aki. This means no Hakuho, no Ishiura, no Enho, no Hokuseiho... too bad, really. 

Ichinojo, who had tested positive a few days ago, will probably take another test and if he is virus-free, he will probably enter. 

Basho is under way, despite being a week off it kinda felt like it snuck up this time around. On the first day, both Ozeki lost while Terunofuji seemed comfortable in his new position. He should by all accounts be considered a heavy favourite. We will see what the weeks will bring. 

I hope I can be here and talk sumo from time to time, life is busy though...