DVDVR Message Board

Ura took the Juryo Yusho, which means celebrations in ReiseReise-beya. 

Ishizaki won the Sandanme playoff and subsequently Yusho. Dude looks really buff for a Rikishi, toned arms and all. Very quick, explosive and powerful. Both former Sandanme 100 entries who won the division's title in their debutes, Yutakayama and Tohakuryu, made Sekitori and did so fairly quickly. 

Edit: Takakeisho forced a playoff, but then got a taste of his own medicine and lost to Terunofuji via slapdown. Dramatic stuff. Terunofuji was visibly moved in his victory. Good, dramatic conclusion with two worthy contenders. The Yusho seems a little weak in numbers to put Terunofuji on a Yusho run, but a third consecutive cup in July would certainly leave no questions asked. 

Edited by ReiseReise

I was very happy with Ura's triumph, he's gonna be fun to see against the top guys. It's really hard not to like Ura. 

Nice to see Takanosho come up with at least one memorably good performance, even if he's dropping Sekiwake. I thought that match with Takayasu was probably the match of the day for Makuchi. Terutsuyoshi getting to 7-8 after starting 1-6 is an impressive recovery of sorts. Tochinoshin is painful to watch at this point, literally a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. He probably won't quit until he gets demoted out of the division or someone just rips his leg off I guess, but I wish he would.

Endo losing to an out of form Shodai after forcing a potential chaos scenario is the most Endo play imaginable. I thought Terunofuji played the playoff very smart, took no chances, trusted himself. Actually quite enjoyed Takakeisho in this tournament, even if he has absolutely zero stamina. His game is what it is and he plays to his strengths.

No matter what shape Hakuho shows up in for July, that's gonna be a high interest one.

Ryuden's story took a very dark turn, if any of the breaking newsstories are trur... Covid Prevention Protocol Violation is one thing, but apparently his reason was to meet a woman ...whom he had an extra-marital affair with... and whom he pressured into having an abortion when she got pregnant from said affair... Uh oh, not sure if there is any way of surviving this career-wise. 

I love how Abi and Ryuden's careers are so closely linked. They broke into Makuuchi at about the same time, they debuted in Sanyaku at the same time and then when Abi does something stupid and gets demoted, Ryuden says Hold My Beer.

Dickhead.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume he won't keep his rank; just trying to guess where he'll come back. I make that 0-0-15 for two tournaments at Ozeki, one as a Sekiwake. From there, I imagine mid-to-upper Maegashira to upper Juryo, and then down to around the lower Juryo to upper Makushita ranks? Abi came back from his ban at Ms56, and while I don't think he'll be that low because he started higher than Abi, he probably won't getting a haircut for his first tournament back.

Let's see, he went 7-8 because of the forced kyujo, next tournament he will loose Ozeki. He will be Sekiwake in September (second tournament ban). Probably Maegashira 9 or 10 in November (third). Somewhere Mid Juryo in January (fourth). All this at half the pay for the respective rank. 

Then Upper Makushita (fifth) and lower Makushita (sixth) in March and May, around Ms #60 is not totally implausible. 

Considering there's a good chance that Asanoyama could have held the rank for a year, the financial loss is quite severe. 

Half pay at the two months he will nominally be an Ozeki means the loss of 22 000 $ in salary, for his two months at Sekiwake he will loose another 28 000, for his two months on the sidelines as Maegashira it will be 31 500 $. With that, the Half-salary will end, keeping the Juryo loss at about "just" 25 000 $. Then will be at least 8 months (sitting out two tournaments, getting back into Juryo with at least two more) without any salary (there is a bit of pocket change for the guys outside Sekitori levels, let's be generous and go with a thousand dollars), so there's another 168,000 $ of loss in salary. With the climb back up taking considerably longer than the fall, this could be quite a big financial hit for Asanoyama and his Heya. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I forgot that he pulled out before his Kachi-Koshi, that's going to be pretty big. I don't even know if Abi is a lock to get back into Juryo after back to back 7-0 records wailing on the kids in Makushita.

Having a look at the final scores from May: Ms1 Kotokuzan on 5-2 and Ms2 Kaisho on 6-1 might have priorty on a Juryo slot ahead of Abi because they have good records and a higher ranking; there are also 3 others who were ranked higher at the start of the tournament who got 4-3, including Yago who was West Ms1. The problem comes from there only being three guys from the lower half of Juryo with Make Koshi. This doesn't count the two at J7: Jokoryu's 3-12 might be enough for a demotion but Kyokushuho's 6-9 would be harsh to knock him out of the salaried ranks.

Sorry for being late to answer, lots of stress at work. 

Other than the rest of the banzuke (which is already made but kept secret), the Juryo promotees are already announced shortly after the Basho. 

Four promotions:

Abi, Yago and Kaisho all return, Kotokuzan gets promoted for the first time to salaried ranks. They probably demoted Jokoryu. 

Ichiyamamoto gets a top flight debut after putting up a year straight of winning tournaments, maybe the only big shocker since he jumps up all the way from Juryo 8. Also Tobizaru goes 5-10 and drops from M2 to M3 because literally no one wanted to win last tournament.

• Like 1

Asanoyama has been officially sent to the Shadow Zone.

Ikioi retired, I should be sad, but real fans know what the deal is. This man can finally focus on his singing career! I can picture it now - I'm at the infinitely more shoppable Tower Records in Shinjuku and the first thing I buy is something like this on a Maxi Single...

Voice of an angel!

• Like 1

Looked really scary aswell, as if he went numb. Was leaning on the dohyo for quite some time, then got wheeled of in a chair. De facto end to any potential run for the rope. 

Apparently, Enho had to be wheeled out aswell. 

Hakuho and Terunofuji are both out of the starting blocks with two wins. 

Yeah Ichinojo honestly did Takakeisho a solid, he definitely knew something was way off and tried to set him down about as gently as gravity would allow. Enho looked pretty clearly wobbly yesterday, AKA concussed, but wrestled today anyway.

Takayasu came back in after missing the first two days and actually looked pretty good weathering the Ichinojo storm.

• Like 1