DVDVR Message Board

Raw is NXT - 2/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, and that hasn't been brought up in quite some time if I'm remembering right. If senile old Vince wants to pluck Charlotte from Smackdown, and insert her into the WrestleMania match, he can. Because he's the boss. But can Ruby Riott just walk over to Smackdown and challenge Asuka to a match at 'Mania? No.

Never mind - everyone has been called up

They were all moved to the main roster part of the website and in a website exclusive - Black cut a promo saying that he didn’t care what brand he ended up on (one would presume SDL since that’s where his wife is)

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

They were all moved to the main roster part of the website and in a website exclusive - Black cut a promo saying that he didn’t care what brand he ended up on (one would presume SDL since that’s where his wife is)

We know who the next NA champion is, but I wonder who Ciampa is dropping the NXT championship to. We keep hearing that 2019 is going to be the year of the Undisputed Era, so maybe Adam Cole Bay-Bay beats Ciampa.

Wasn't Kevin Owens the NXT Champion when he debuted on the main roster (May) and didn't lost it until July (and had a rematch the next month)? Ciampa can easily be on RAW/Smackdown and not even lose the belt until WrestleMania weekend. It's been done before. Hell, even what @RIPPA is theorizing has happened - KO defended the title on RAW and Smackdown before he finally lost it to Finn Balor at "Beast in the East".

• Like 2

Sasha and Paige both debuted as champion as well. Paige forfeited it, and Sasha stopped it to Bayley at the next TakeOver.

Lacey plays her "southern Belle meets 50's pinup girl" character really well, but she never looked notably good in the ring in NXT, and her work in the Rumble was a fucking disaster. She's really hot (settle down joke here) but Asuka deserves an opponent that can hold up her end.

I'm sticking to my guns that the NXT Announcement tomorrow is that NXT is going to officially become a full on 3rd brand rather than the "minor leagues", which basically means that NXT to "main roster" call-ups will still happen, but also "main roster" guys will also be showing up in NXT. WWE has their "minor league" indies like Progress and such now to fulfill what NXT used to, and putting NXT in the mix for talent swaps will certainly help keep all of the rosters fresh on all three shows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I'm sticking to my guns that the NXT Announcement tomorrow is that NXT is going to officially become a full on 3rd brand rather than the "minor leagues", which basically means that NXT to "main roster" call-ups will still happen, but also "main roster" guys will also be showing up in NXT. WWE has their "minor league" indies like Progress and such now to fulfill what NXT used to, and putting NXT in the mix for talent swaps will certainly help keep all of the rosters fresh on all three shows.

That all sounds good..  they already said the women's tag titles will be defended on NXT.  One issue though.  I could see Vince getting involved in NXT booking and that's not good for anyone.  Cue Seinfeld gif. 

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

HHH should adopt Norm MacDonald's tape recorder gimmick.

Note to self: Stay out of Lafayette, Louisiana

Actually Lafayette fucking rules, has a few festivals that top almost everything in New Orleans, and the area certainly has better Cajun food (and gumbo generally, since Cajun gumbo is so much better than that tomato soup shit they give you in Nola) than anywhere on the planet. Plus it's legal to drink in the streets, and the Acadiana area is like nothing else in the US. But the CajunDome crowds have always been too kid friendly for something like a show built around NXT debuts. It's a Roman Reigns kind of wrestling culture.

I'm pretty sure everyone there doesn't even give a shit about hometown hero Daniel Cormier.

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That all sounds good..  they already said the women's tag titles will be defended on NXT.  One issue though.  I could see Vince getting involved in NXT booking and that's not good for anyone.  Cue Seinfeld gif. 

Not a gif because I'm posting on my phone.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. As a big fan of all four guys, I love seeing them get a moment to shine on the main roster. But then I look at this years long story with Gargano and CIampa. Them officially being a team again would have been a HUGE DEAL on NXT's show. Here, it's just a random match. They beat the tag champs and it was just...there. Ricochet came off looking like a huge star, but will that matter in 2 weeks? I don't know which was worse for Black's debut, Cole's dumbass "OH YEAH" or Graves talking about how Black fights for all the 9-5ers who feel like they don't belong or some shit. When has that ever been a part of Black's character? I want to have faith they will be ok in the long run, but you just brought up this wave of people, one of which on paper is all things Vince wants in a wrestler(EC3). And what do they do with Mr Carter, whose strength is talking? They don't have the fucker speak! I don't understand what's happening here.

And on an unrelated note, I love all things Bayley. I think the team with Sasha is great and I am happy they won the belts. In the name of all things good and holy, if we must have them involved in extended talking segments, LET SASHA DO THE TALKING.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, RIPPA said:

This makes me giggle because Gargano starts and he is basically doing the "This is the boyhood dream!" speech and Ciampa then starts cutting his promo in character (being the only one to make sense of anything) and you can kinda see Gargano thinking "Shit - I fucked that up"

While I totally agree with that line of thinking, the little piece at the end about how "that is one way to look at it" seems to indicate that they wanted them to be on totally separate pages instead of the greyer area they have been playing up on NXT.

That being said, I hella laughed at the instant change in body language and facial expression from Johnny, it really did come off like we are watching a guy realize that he shot himself in the foot.

Per Meltzer from the new WON/radio show

So the decision was made late last week to bring in Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa, Ricochet and Aleister Black. He made the call without consulting Paul Levesque, who seemed to be building Gargano vs. Ciampa, or at least something involving the two, for his biggest NXT show of the year on 4/5 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Ciampa was along with Rush one of the two best heels in the business and one could argue the best, and Gargano was heelish but sort of tweener, and the tension was an ongoing storyline, and now they were being introduced as a babyface tag team.

The script for Raw was for Finn Balor to face Ricochet in a non-title match, but Levesque was able to get that changed as he thought it wasn’t the best way to debut Ricochet in a match against another babyface. Plus, it would be hard to book a finish that would be satisfying. Yes, it would have been a great match, but whether it would have worked as much in Lafayette was a question. It became a tag match with Balor & Ricochet vs. Lashley & Rush, who were put back together the day after an angle that they split in.

Vince McMahon got to the building late and everyone was exhausted from the past week and the PPV. At that point they started rewriting the whole show. The show was built originally around the return of Seth Rollins, who was to be all over the show. Then they got word that Rollins wasn’t cleared for physical action, which they expected he would be. Rollins has a damaged lower back. It doesn’t need surgery. It needed rest. It doesn’t threaten WrestleMania and the belief is he will be cleared in the next week or so. But that was the reason the entire show had to be rewritten starting four-and-a-half hours before Raw started.

Ronda Rousey was to face Alexa Bliss and win a short squash match, similar to Rumble. Right now the feeling is to build Rousey to be the monster opponent she was when she came in to make Becky Lynch’s proposed win over her to mean as much as possible. Mania could be when that takes place but nothing as far as Mania is set in stone, partially because Rousey hasn’t decided on her out date yet. Then they decided they needed to add length to all the matches because of so many planned segments being out, and Rousey was booked for a long main event. The decision was made to change it from Bliss to Riot, because Riot is a much better worker and Rousey was comfortable working a long match with her with little time to have it put together. Plus they worked house show matches over the weekend. So even though it made no sense for Rousey to squash her at the PPV and then defend it against her in a rematch the next day, with no explanation as to why, that was how and why it went down.

• Thanks 3

The idea that Vince would call these guys up without consulting Trips doesn't seem believable. Not even on a "let's protect the NXT brand/stories" level. Just on a "Who are these short jerks again and how can we best use them?" level.  Unless he was doing it to rib him/screw with him, which is well within Vince's known behavior. The talent booking equivalent of tossing Hunter into the pool.

• Like 2

They way it was phrased on the radio show Dave said there was a "Communication issue" but he clearly said Triple H didn't know

Basically Vince said he wanted "NXT's Best 4 guys" but he (Dave) was unsure who picked the 4 (since he said he doubts Vince is familiar enough with NXT to make the call himself)

Dave said Black had been on the callup list for awhile so that wasn't surprising but the other three hadn't been talked about as being called up anytime soon.