DVDVR Message Board

Raw is NXT - 2/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

"Hey guys remember our awesome matches in NXT?"   Yes,  I DO remember them but this crowd clearly has never heard of any of you.  They paid to see John Cena and Roman Reigns, this whole thing was embarrassing for everyone involved.  I hope they at least made a good impression on the home audience.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Pretty much. None of the matches were bad but those debuts (if they were actually debuts and not just one-offs) were completely heatless. They still aren't doing much of anything with Heavy Machinery, Lacy, EC3, and Nikki but at least they got a couple weeks worth of previews to at least hype up their characters a bit. 

They also seem to have abandoned their “We’re not calling people up unless we have a plan for them” bit. I mean even Tyler Breeze got a new valet and a feud with Ziggle... you know, maybe they’re all just better off this way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seth Rollins: "I've called Paul Heyman a lot of things, but 'liar' is not one of them." 

tenor.gif

The actual line was "You can call Paul Heyman a lot of things, but "liar" isn't one of them". And that's true in the context that Rollins was speaking about, when it comes to the domination of Brock Lesnar in WWE (and UFC, even though they didn't touch his losses in UFC, and rightfully so - it would go against the narrative they're trying to build). Obviously Heyman is a liar, but like I said, Rollins was pretty clearly speaking about the video package and shit Heyman has said about Lesnar, not his ECW days fuckin' 20+ years ago.

• Like 1

This won’t be a popular opinion, but I’m gonna say it anyway; I don’t think Ciampa or Gargano translate to the main roster well at all. A tiny fraction of the audience watches nXt, and I don’t think the casual fan gives shit number one what happens at Full Sail. Neither guy is a good enough promo (from what I’ve seen) to tote the mail in front of a large audience. They’re small and not overly charismatic. Maybe I’m wrong, but their act works well on the small stage because those fans understand their journey and what makes them special. On Raw, where they aren’t surrounded by hardcore fans, they get lost in the shuffle.

Now I’m even more confused as to whether or not Dean’s really leaving. I still think he is, but I’ve seen weirder buildups to angles.

Ruby Riott is so fucking good. If I had to pick a MITB winner for the women, it’d be her.

is ec3 already doa?

Ricochet has enough flash and a crowd friendly enough style that he can thrive on the main roster.

damn. Y’all remember when Elias was a thing?

Also, where the hell is Alexa? Did she get hurt again? There aren’t enough quality women promos on the show for her to not even appear...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So...Dean Ambrose has brain damage?

My problem with Seth Rollins as a face right now against Lesnar. He sounds insincere. I don't believe a single word he says. He sounds like a bland vanilla babyface. He's basically Roman Reigns 2.0. 

I’ve said that about him before. I don’t find him believable at all. Like, right after Dean turned on him and he cut a promo and said wtte of “I’m gonna beat an explanation out of (him),” I didn’t believe for a second that he actually could, or that he thought he could...

• Like 2

Best thing from this show is knowing the NXT crew isn't set on RAW and it was just their main roster debuts.

Crazy this cold crowd got the #DIY reunion Full Sail has been clamoring for and hasn't gotten.

Elias should rename his finisher the Rafi Bomb.

This has to be a one-time thing for the NXT 4, right? Because they got less buildup than the midcarders that called up a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing RAW needed the warm bodies and Hunter wanted to see if the success of Halftime Heat would translate to a main show. No Bueno, amigo. Of the four, Ricochet came across the best. His moveset is the most pleasing to a casual audience and it helped he was paired with Finn. He's not the best promo, but the one he gave tonight had a charming sincerity about it. He feels the most main TV ready.

Someone clearly realized that DIY's best chance of main roster success is to put them back together, so points for that. But getting thrown into a dead tag division where even the new champs aren't over isn't going to help them. The match was fine, but sparked no interest. The term vanilla midgets isn't cool, but that's what this match felt like: four scoops of vanilla ice cream with no toppings.

Sadly, Black felt like he came off the worst. Elias isn't nearly as hot as he was, so no help was to be had there. Black is the character that most needs some setup, a cold intro just makes him seem some random angry goth dude who you tried to avoid eye contact with. That match had no business going that long, and Aleister looked kind of gassed in spots. Kudos to Elias for eating that entire Black Mass, though.

It wasn't a bad show, save for the promo work from the women. Good heavens, I've heard robots talk more naturally than Sasha and Bayley. But Raw is lacking star power and throwing random stuff against a wall isn't helping. Maybe when KO and Zayn return, it'll get better.

45 minutes ago, just drew said:

Ruby Riott is so fucking good. If I had to pick a MITB winner for the women, it’d be her. 

Also, where the hell is Alexa? Did she get hurt again? There aren’t enough quality women promos on the show for her to not even appear...

Ruby Riott wins MITB with the Riott Squad looking out for her, softening up the competition like New Day should have won MITB. 

I asked about Alexa Bliss yesterday, she wrestled in an Elimination Chamber tag team qualifier with Mickie James.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tyler Black/Seth Rollins is somebody who could also benefit from a mouthpiece. He had Jimmy Jacobs in Age of the Fall and Dean to cover for him in the early days of The Shield.

WWE recycle ideas. Bring Kane's voice modulator out of retirement.

26 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Someone clearly realized that DIY's best chance of main roster success is to put them back together, so points for that. But getting thrown into a dead tag division where even the new champs aren't over isn't going to help them. The match was fine, but sparked no interest. The term vanilla midgets isn't cool, but that's what this match felt like: four scoops of vanilla ice cream with no toppings.

#DIY/Revival was the match of the night in my book. There was nothing vanilla about it to me. It's unfortunate tag team wrestling is an afterthought on Raw and Smackdown unless Shane McMahon is tag champion.

This was the wrong crowd to use #DIY/Ricochet/Black. I feel like it's better to do debuts in front of "smart" crowds. The young kids see those crowds going crazy for them, and think, "They must be good. These people love them. I want to do that."

Anytime someone uses the term "vanilla midget", Kevin Nash's quads should tear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1