DVDVR Message Board

WWE Matches of the Decade: 2010s.

The Natural

29 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

For my money, Almas/Gargano at Takeover: Philadelphia was the best WWE match since Bret/Piper at WMVIII, so it's the easy pick for #1 to me.

Interesting. Opinions being what they are, I didn't think Bret/Piper was the best match on that show. Nor was the Almas match Gargano's best last year. C'est la vie

• Like 1

Offhand:

• Revival vs. DIY 2/3 Falls
  • Asuka vs. Ember Moon II
  • Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch LWS
  • Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar WM 31

There is no order right now. Those are all roughly on the same level for me. I need to rewatch Wyatts/Shield, Shield vs. Hell No/Ryback, the Bate/Dunne series, Brock/Cena (12 & 14), & Almas/Gargano to see where I would rank them for sure. They would would either be with what you see up there or the next tier down which would includes matches like Bayley/Sasha I & II, Roman/Bryan, & Roman/AJ. Also probably need to rewatch the Cena/Punk matches. For the most part I thought they actually got better as they went on and think their last match on tv was their best

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't believe there is a woman's match that has reached Sasha/Bayley I 

I've always preferred Bayley vs. Sasha Banks Iron Woman match at NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015 to NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015. You can't go wrong with either. #1-2 best women's matches.

• Like 1

Becky vs. Charlotte [Evolution 10/28/18] -  This was a great match, I'm not minimizing what they accomplished. This was one of the first WWE main event style women's matches that will probably lay the groundwork for future women's main events. It's just not my preferred style.  I compare it to the Fast franchise. I love the Fast movies but the stories are a little thin. There are a lot of high spots and close encounters leading to the next set piece. This is what this match felt like for me. 

Sasha vs. Bayley [NXT Takeover Brooklyn 8/22/15] - This is the most important match throughout the entire women's revolution.  High pressure situation, if Bayley/Sasha don't deliver on a big stage as they did in NXT's biggest and most watched event to date who knows what happens in the coming months. This match proved that women's wrestling can be sold to a wider WWE audience. The culmination of both Bayley and Sasha's journey to this point and the story they told within the match itself is what works for me. 

Sasha vs. Becky [NXT Takeover 5/20/15] - Dueling limb work.  This is fantastic, not a typical WWE main event style main event. Both women sold and sold and every move counted towards the finish.  I prefer to take a body part and tell a story with that than to go from action set piece to action set piece. 

Charlotte vs. Ronda [11/18/18] - When I was watching Becky/Charlotte I felt I was watching a very good pro wrestling main event. When I was watching Charlotte vs. Ronda I felt I was watching something special.  This was as brutal and hard hitting as any women's match since maybe Sasha vs. Charlotte Falls Count Anywhere on an episode of RAW that I would also have on this list. These two beat the hell out of each other,  Ronda always brings the realism to the forefront and Charlotte matched her intensity here. This was the first time for me that Charlotte embraced her old man. She was the Nature Boy on this night. This was more an old Flair/Garvin than a typical WWE main event. I prefer this Charlotte to high spot Charlotte. She can blend in the high spots but what she needs to be doing is wrestling a more physical style like she did here. 

• Like 5

On 2/24/2019 at 8:59 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

WWE/NXT.   Charlotte and Becky was good but it didn't have nearly the storytelling aspect for me,   I feel Sasha/Becky is still Becky's best match. I prefer Charlotte vs. Ronda to Charlotte/Becky. 

I preferred Charlotte/Becky to Charlotte/Ronda. Haven;t seen the former in a while nor Sasha/Becky as there's a case as you state for that as Lynch's best match still.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Niners second post has me thinking about the best women's matches going in WWE history.

There's some from the 80s and 90s to consider.  Sometimes it's easy to forget.  There are also some great Attitude Era brawls between the likes of Trish and Victoria etc.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As it stands, only three 2019 matches have a shot at making an updated version of my WWE Matches of the 2010s list:

Daniel Bryan vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton. WWE Elimination Chamber, 17th February.

Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton. WWE Smackdown Live, 12th February.

Matt Riddle vs. Roderick Strong. WWE NXT TakeOver: XXV, 1st June.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

As it stands, only three 2019 matches have a shot at making an updated version of my WWE Matches of the 2010s list:

Daniel Bryan vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton. WWE Elimination Chamber, 17th February.

Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton. WWE Smackdown Live, 12th February.

I might add the Mysterio vs Andrade matches on SD at the beginning of the year. I really wish they did more with that feud. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I might add the Mysterio vs Andrade matches on SD at the beginning of the year. I really wish they did more with that feud. 

Good shout. Shame we never had the expected feud ender on PPV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Good shout. Shame we never had the expected feud ender on PPV.

This really is a damn crime because you just know there is a 20-30 minute classic between these two screaming to happen.

And since we are throwing out new matches for the list, may I nominate Drew Gulak vs Matt Riddle from the Evolve network show?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 11:41 AM, The Natural said:

Make that six. The above and:

WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff, 31st August. *****

Rhea Ripley/Candace LeRae/Dakota Kai/Tegan Knox vs. Shayna Baszler/Bianca Belair/Kay Lee Ray/Io Shirai. NXT TakeOver: WarGames III, 23rd November.

Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TV, 13th November.

It’s an era when there are fantastic matches so often that we either miss or don’t fully absorb most of them but WALTER/Bate stood out. The only match in recent history I’ve rewatched twice and a strong contender for a match you could show to a casual fan to get them into some real shit.

• Like 1