DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 3/15/19

*Taped for Xplosion: Luchasaurus def. Chris Bey after a reverse powerbomb

Impact Wrestling - Airing March 15, 2019 from Las Vegas, NV

*oVe (Sami Callihan, Dave & Jake Crist) def. Rich Swann, Willie Mack, & Tommy Dreamer when Callihan pinned Dreamer after the piledriver

*Glenn Gilbertti def. Kikutaro after the Chartbuster

*KM & Fallah Bahh def. Reno Scum (Adam Thornstowe & Luster the Legend) when Bahh pinned Luster after a belly to belly suplex

*Jordynne Grace def. Tessa Blanchard with the Fall From Grace to become #1 contender to the knockouts championship. After the match, Tessa throws a tantrum at ringside and attacks the timekeeper until Gail Kim runs out and fights her off.

*Eli Drake & Eddie Edwards def. The Desi Hit Squad (Rohit Raju & Raj Singh w/ The Great Gama) when Eddie pinned Rohit after hitting him with his kendo stick while the ref was with Eli. After the match, Eli motions for the titles around their waist towards Eddie.

*Killer Kross carries out Johnny Impact in a neck brace with a cinder block. Kross fights off security and prepares to take a steel chair to the cinder block on Johnny. Taya Valkyrie & Brian Cage come out. Taya covers Johnny and begs Cage to help. Taya hits Kross then Cage comes down and takes Kross out with a steel chair. Taya thanks Cage - then turns heel and low blows him. Johnny kips up revealing it was all a setup as Kross laughs from the outside. Johnny beats down Cage then uses the steel chair to smash the cinder block on Cage.

• 4 weeks later...

Fun opening six man. Gilbertti continues to entertain, digging the theme music for him. LAX/Lucha Bros in a 5150 street fight is gonna be crazy. Jordynne Grace does nothing for me but I thought Tessa looked great in their match with her strikes, intensity, and movements throughout including her expressions during the post-match. Eli & Eddie make a fun team so far.

Not sure about the big heel turn at the moment. Part of me doesn't like it because I was loving Johnny as the babyface ace and thought Taya especially was really coming along as a face. Fighting champion Johnny from two weeks ago, playing Kross and Moose against each other, was great stuff. After Johnny was the babyface hero that took down the previous heel franchise in Aries, this feels like moving Johnny back into Aries' old role. But the other part of me did enjoy the execution here and I know they can be an equally great heel act. so I guess we'll see how it goes, though it feels like a guarantee now that Cage is gonna end Johnny's title reign sooner than later. The build up video to the match tonight was pretty cool, loved the overall angle from 2 weeks ago and the tale of the tape was a nice touch; Johnny style "hybrid" / Cage style "GMSI". 

• Like 1

I was surprised at how much comedy there was in the opening six man. OVE are booked as such bastard heels, and everything they do is a grudge match kind of, so to see them stooging for the joke spots was a bit unexpected.

Allie and Rosemary's angle looks like it's going long. Hopefully it'll be good. Wonder what kind of character Allie is going to end up with, because the old Bunny style wouldn't really make sense any more after everything.

Tessa and Jordynne had the match of the show, no question. Tessa Blanchard might be one of the best in the business at conveying intensity in her matches. And her backstage interviews, for that matter.

Johnny Impact turning heel, and seeming to be allied with Killer Cross as well... if this is how Austin Aries returns as a babyface, I'm in favour. If it's instead to make Brian Cage an underdog babyface, then that'll probably work too. Presumably that's a title chase for him, and then his first few feuds as Champion wrapped up.

• Like 1

Actually, thinking about Johnny turning heel, it's actually good long term storytelling. They built up the idea that his champion's schedule was breaking him down, they had him manipulate Cage into agreeing to team up just so Johnny could fake injury and make Cage get double teamed, they had the backstage interviewer that sees conspiracies everywhere sort of figure it out, but muddied it by having him also see things that weren't there. And they could have some future intrigue over whether Moose is in on it or not, since all he did on this show is beat up the Rascalz backstage. So while it was a swerve, it wasn't a Russo swerve because it made sense, was built up for a while, and you could have seen it coming but you didn't. So yeah, good.

Also they made a Buffy reference in the Allie and Rosemary segment, but it was wasted because @Brian Fowler doesn't watch this show.

• Like 2