DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Dolfan in NYC

(because, you know, TLJ tore apart all of the aspects of TFA that were outdated or purely nostalgia for the sake of it, or contrived and navel-gazing and limited, represented in the mask which was shown to be patently ridiculous and unnecessary and stifling growth and this movie aims to bring it all back. So the fucking mask is haphazardly glued together. it's not rocket science here)

The Rise of Skywalker seems like such obvious nod towards Rey's parentage that I have to hope it's something else. Maybe a reference to Luke's legacy being used to create something new, or... god, they're going to call the new not-Jedi Skywalkers, aren't they?

Anyway, it looks pretty, sounds amazing, and everyone looks like they had a good time. I probably will, too. (But hell, I don't need a Palpatine Sith force-ghost.)

Edited by Beech27

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

As someone who has a basic understanding of Star Wars:

Reveal hidden contents

That's Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious cackle, right?

Yes. See my spoilered post.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

The Rise of Skywalker seems like such obvious nod towards Rey's parentage that I have to hope it's something else. Maybe a reference to Luke's legacy being used to create something new, or... god, they're going to call the new not-Jedi Skywalkers, aren't they?

Anyway, it looks pretty, sounds amazing, and everyone looks like they had a good time. I probably will, too.

I guessed right on her parents being nobodies. I'm guessing here that either Leia adopts her or tells Rey to take on the Skywalker name.

Something like, "The Skywalker name means so much to so many. You have all of his teachings, you are a Skywalker. Take the name, use it."

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

The trailer has me excited though I'm hoping Abrams doesn't backpedal much, if any of TLJ. TFA was way to reliant on nostalgia so I'm hoping this one is more focused on the story of the new generation in general.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The trailer has me excited though I'm hoping Abrams doesn't backpedal much, if any of TLJ. TFA was way to reliant on nostalgia so I'm hoping this one is more focused on the story of the new generation in general.

Trying to get that balance, nostalgia with the new.

I think it looks great, and I'm super excited that there is a concerted effort to let everyone know that it's not going to be anything like The Last Jedi.  Retcon and backpedal that entire piece of shit, because I'll never watch it again anyway.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So Kylo did a running STO..  

Space Tornado Organa is a pretty solid finish for him.

Anyway, TLJ wasn’t consistent in execution, but was right that the Jedi were crypto theocratic secret police and the force needed to be democratized. And “the Emperor was behind it all along!” would be powerfully stupid, especially if Kylo has to, I don’t know, kill his Sith ghost as a means of reenacting Grandpa’s redemption, thus securing his own.

• Like 1

I feel like it’s a hot take that I actually liked TFA and TLJ. TFA was a good way to bring back the movies by using the nostalgia and beats of A New Hope  to set up the new players, while TLJ moved those players in their own direction. 

That said, this teaser actually makes me worry Abrams will take a hard left back into the same nostalgia beats as the original trilogy.

• Like 2