DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Dolfan in NYC

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A lot of cool looking set pieces but I'm kinda lost on what's going on now

I feel ya, I think this is going to seem a bit jarring in following TLJ, and years down the line that film is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

I wish they'd just opted to let JJ run the whole trilogy for a consistent tone (and I had no issues with Johnson's film FWIW)

• Like 4

I like the trailer. It shows promise, but I feel like this movie has to be a massive home run to justify the existence of this trilogy for me. There has been nothing so far that makes me feel "I'm glad these films were made". I agree that JJ should have just run the whole thing, because when we are done here, there will have been an entire film that could have pushed the overall story, that will just be a footnote in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I disagree. He shouldn't have done any of them. Hack.

My point was more that it needed a consistent tone and only one director should have been in charge of delivering that. In some ways I suppose Kathleen Kennedy should be responsible for that so we'll wait and see...

I admittedly got choked up by C3PO's line. I'm both excited and apprehensive about this one, which is the best I can hope for from a Post original trilogy Star Wars entry.

I also will always vouch for how much I liked The Last Jedi even with some of Rian's odd choices. It's a gorgeously shot film and the one that will stand out for its craft and storytelling moreso than any other post Original Trilogy film. Plus, I finally watched the Director and the Jedi feature length documentary that came with The Last Jedi. An incredible documentary.

• Like 1

Loved TFA and TLJ both. I couldn't be more excited for this. Few movies make me feel like a kid again like this new trilogy have made me feel and getting to watch these with my daughter has been a joy.

• Like 3

I finally caught Last Jedi on Netflix a month ago so I feel I must see this trilogy thrrough to the bitter end.

It helps that the final trailer is pretty fucking sweet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bob Iger himself said that they rushed this trilogy out there and there was no map of where they were headed when filming for TFA began.  To me that's a little bit of an issue. 

I kind of want to read Iger's book.