DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I feel like it’s a hot take that I actually liked TFA and TLJ. TFA was a good way to bring back the movies by using the nostalgia and beats of A New Hope  to set up the new players, while TLJ moved those players in their own direction. 

That said, this teaser actually makes me worry Abrams will take a hard left back into the same nostalgia beats as the original trilogy.

C'mon now, with all the nostalgia beats in the new trilogy, you know the 3rd act is going to be Rey and Kylo fighting infront of Lich Palpatine, while Finn and Rose right off the entire of the First Order's top troops with a bunch of muppets whilst Lando and Poe fly to the center of a 3/4 finished Starkiller II to blow it up.

• Like 1

With a day to sit on it, I couldn't be more disappointed with that trailer. TLJ is the only movie I've ever gone to see on my own in my life because given the timing and kid management, it was the only way to avoid spoilers, and I'm thinking if I don't see this until redbox, I'd probably be ok with it. 

• Like 1

I thought this looked real dumb, y’all.

Rey flipping over the TIE whatever is just Vintage JJ:  Looks exciting, but completely falls apart the moment you spend more than 5 seconds thinking about the logic of it.

A guy in a spaceship is trying to...run over somebody on the ground?  What?

I was prepared for JJ to make another fan service movie, but woof.  Palpatine coming back is just the epitome of what I DON’T want out of this franchise anymore.

17 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I feel like it’s a hot take that I actually liked TFA and TLJ. TFA was a good way to bring back the movies by using the nostalgia and beats of A New Hope  to set up the new players, while TLJ moved those players in their own direction. 

That said, this teaser actually makes me worry Abrams will take a hard left back into the same nostalgia beats as the original trilogy.

That isn't necessarily a hot take. I enjoyed both even with their faults

• Like 2

Celebration footage of The Mandalorian has leaked. Use the internet before it gets yanked.

Carl Weathers is the head of a guild of bounty hunters. Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) is basically like a spaghetti western Clint Eastwood/Yojimbo type.

Gina Carano is an ex-shock trooper in the rebellion. Having trouble getting back into civilian life.

IG-88 isn't in the show. It's IG-11, voiced by Taika Waititi.

501st Legion will be in the show.

Werner Herzog is playing some type of underworld gangster. He hires Mando to retrieve something valuable, "an asset." In exchange, he will give Mando some "beskar," which is what Mando armor is made out of. Herzog wants the asset alive or dead with proof for a lower fee.

Edited by TheVileOne

Just now, Beech27 said:

The gap in excitement I felt between the trailer beginning and the Emperor laughing at the end was already massive; I'm now rapidly approaching bemused apathy.

Shmi had twins, Palpatine took one away and shipped them off somewhere in case Anakin failed, two generations later we get Rey.

I mean, this IS JJ after all.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why can't we just leave Rey's parents as unimportants. Its so much better than her being another Skywalker.

It wouldn't make any sense for her to be a Skywalker unless Vader is a deadbeat.  Otherwise Luke, Leia, Han, C3PO, Chewbacca or someone would have been like, "Hey guys, remember that chick Luke was fucking on Jakku about 20 years ago?  Doesn't this force sensitive girl kind of look like her?"

When you say Vader, do you mean Anakin cheating on Padme, or do you mean burned to crisp quadruple amputee Vader? Because I doubt the armoured version could still get it up. Or even has an it to get up.

Look, I'm not going to lie and say I'm not gonna go see this. Of course I'm going to see this.

But between the title, the fucking dreadful teaser, and now that statement... My interest is real fucking low.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, CreativeControl said:

So, based off all the crying in this thread, do you think you'll rate this trilogy above or below the prequels?

Unless JJ totally derps this last movie (which is a possibility), I don’t see any argument for the prequels being better.  That’s two very bad movies and one okay-ish movie.  This trilogy has one pretty good movie and a classic so far.  Even someone who thinks TLJ is AOTC-tier would have to concede that this trilogy is still off to a better start.

• Like 1