DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean sure, maybe it's possible because Kennedy apparently had no idea what was going on with Rogue One for a long time and then when she found out she shitcanned Lord and Miller.

You're thinking of Solo.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

The trilogy movies are all too carefully planned out to just let Rian come in and fuck everything up. However, it's entirely possible that they had a plan and when they hired Rian he had a different idea in mind and they liked that more and so they changed their plans for episodes 8 and 9.

It feels like this was exactly what happened.

10 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

DeficientEagerAnaconda-size_restricted.g 

Jokes aside, isn't 'a new threat from beyond' what George Lucas originally wanted to do with VII-IX?

The threat was introduced and built up since the first game. You fought the Reapers in the second game, did you not? 

Also, fuck Mass Effect 3 and its garbage ending. BioWare is no longer BioWare. Anthem is hot garbage.

Whatever Lord and Miller did with Solo, I refuse to believe it was worse than what was happening with Ron Howard. 

You fought Saren Arterius and his legions of Geth in the first game, Collectors in the second and Reapers in the third. Mass Effect 3 may have had a bad ending, but it had one of the best beginnings of all time.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

You fought Saren Arterius and his legions of Geth in the first game, Collectors in the second and Reapers in the third. Mass Effect 3 may have had a bad ending, but it had one of the best beginnings of all time.

Collectors are Reapers.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

How much do we know about what Lucas wanted to do for the trilogy? Meaning how much is public knowledge because I don't know anything.. 

The only thing I can really recall was that Lucas was going to bring back all of the older living characters seemingly from the getgo.

“[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force… If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

http://collider.com/george-lucas-star-wars-plans/

This is what George Lucas wanted to do. 

THE HARDEST SCI-FI

• Like 1

Remember, George Lucas' ex-wife reigned in all of these dumb as fuck ideas. She was the Vince McMahon to his Vince Russo.

Without her you get ideas like that, the prequels, Temple of Doom, Flyboys, etc. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Jokes aside, isn't 'a new threat from beyond' what George Lucas originally wanted to do with VII-IX?

Maybe. Introducing an entirely new threat in Episode VII would work a lot better than Episode IX, though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 10:57 PM, TheVileOne said:

Also, fuck Mass Effect 3 and its garbage ending. BioWare is no longer BioWare. Anthem is hot garbage.

Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games of all time, the ending is terrible, but the rest of that game is damn near perfect.  

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I can't believe this is 9 months away. This is supposed to be the end to an epic trilogy and I'm not feeling. I'm sure I'll be hype when the trailer drops but I don't know if J.J. can turn this around and stick the landing. 

I mean ... it's hard to get excited for the ending of an epic trilogy when Marvel basically "hold my beer"'d them 6 months early by ending a 20 movie story arc while using it to propel a whole new set of films. 

I'm hoping once that is done that I'll start looking forward to this, but honestly I'm so much more excited for Star Wars Land at Disneyland than I am for any actual film at this point. 

Edited by CSC

On 2/22/2019 at 4:54 AM, Craig H said:

Remember, George Lucas' ex-wife reigned in all of these dumb as fuck ideas. She was the Vince McMahon to his Vince Russo.

For a second there, I was going to say, "This is a really bad analogy", but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  Not because anyone at WWE knows what the fuck they're doing - they don't - but I suppose there's a reasonable argument to be made that they're blandly inoffensive with the occasional dumb-shit notion (like sound effects in space, or running shows in Saudi Arabia).  The more I think about all the SW movies, the more I feel like they've been graded on a curve for decades.

And, since CSC and I insta-posted each other, I'd like to add he's 1 million percent correct about getting shark-jumped by Marvel.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:50 AM, Craig H said:

http://collider.com/george-lucas-star-wars-plans/

This is what George Lucas wanted to do. 

THE HARDEST SCI-FI

I have said it once and will repeat it again.  De-mystifying the Force was the worst thing he did to the SWU.

MIDI Chlorian counts are bullshit.

Luke becoming a Jedi is about as close as you can get to a perfect Hero's Journey allegory and now it's fucked up because George reduced the Jedi Order and the Dark Lords of the Sith from warring philosophies to the silliest version of X-Men vs. The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THE JEDI ARE EVIL~!

And from my point of view, Anakin is an idiot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I can't believe this is 9 months away. This is supposed to be the end to an epic trilogy and I'm not feeling. I'm sure I'll be hype when the trailer drops but I don't know if J.J. can turn this around and stick the landing. 

The third film in a trilogy is the hardest to nail. Rare for the third film to be the best entry. The two that come straight to my mind: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Bourne Ultimatum.

2 minutes ago, CSC said:

I mean ... it's hard to get excited for the ending of an epic trilogy when Marvel basically "hold my beer"'d them 6 months early by ending a 20 movie story arc while using it to propel a whole new set of films. 

I'm hoping once that is done that I'll start looking forward to this. 

I don't think we are going to appreciate the degree of difficulty of what the MCU has pulled off for a couple of decades.  It really is incredible that they've kept our attention over so long, with so many characters, and even the worst of the movies are worth a second viewing.  It's up there with LeBron James actually living up to the hype.  There's going to be a comprehensive LeBron book and everyone is going to realize that he was basically a homeless kid who raised himself, and became a billionaire because he picked the exact right friends along the way.  Things aren't supposed to work out this well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think it's one of the first two Thor movies, but I think Iron Man 3 is the least essential.  

“Tony is traumatized by the invasion of New York” is a good character beat that leads right into Age of Ultron, but IM3 isn’t much of a movie. Still, that beat alone and some of the stuff with Tony and the kid makes it better than “You’ve discovered a new element!” Iron Man 2.

The Dark World is on my pre-Endgame rewatch list. I hate myself.

Yeah, the only important takeaways from IM2 are the vibranium & Fury showing up.  Johanssen seemed comically bad as Nat, too, so it's a good thing her subsequent appearances make that easy to forget.  I wonder who gets the credit there: Scarlett, her stunt double, the directors?  I've seen blown Lucha spots that showed less space than some of those action scenes.

IM3 is a Shane Black Movie that happens to have characters that shouldn't really show up in a Shane Black Movie.

I also like how everyone has mentally blocked out that Incredible Hulk is technically part of Phase 1.  But a bottom 5 that's IM 2/3, Thor 1/2, and Hulk...well, it's not wrong.

And we're posting none of this in the correct thread!  Dolfan is wiping down the banhammer...

Edited by Contentious C