DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Dolfan in NYC

Episode 9 is maybe third on my list of excitement until a trailer drops. For now its Endgame and Captain Marvel.

I very curious to see where they go with how TLJ ended. I'm assuming/hoping we get a decent time skip of sort.

Well, they've done an awful job with the second film and a mediocre/mildly good job with the first, so it's no surprise audiences are non-plussed for the conclusion. Likely to be the most forgettable of the 3 trilogies -- 0 standout "cinema legacy" moments to date.

• Like 1

Its a Catch 22. Very few people loved both VII AND VIII. It was either one or the other or neither. People who liked VII tend to feel like VIII scorched the earth. People who liked VIII tend to feel like IX will just like VII and will undo everything interesting about VIII. 

No one is happy. No one wins. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed both as well though I think Force Awakens created issues in it's attempt to be a modern version of A New Hope which TLJ had to fix. With IX its honestly a question of whether or not Abrams learned from his mistakes and actually builds off of what Johnson left for him for something fresh, or will he try to somehow recreate ROTJ. Even beyond that I would have a lot more faith if this actually wasn't a trilogy. It feels like another movie would give more breathing room for a satisfying ending to this arc. While I loved TLJ I also thought it left things a bit too open with no real ending in sight.

• Like 1

Abrams? Learn from his mistakes? Unlikely. He's a tribute act, and he thinks stories have a beginning, a middle, and a "Someone clean this up, I'm abandoning the project for a higher paying gig".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I enjoyed both as well though I think Force Awakens created issues in it's attempt to be a modern version of A New Hope which TLJ had to fix. With IX its honestly a question of whether or not Abrams learned from his mistakes and actually builds off of what Johnson left for him for something fresh, or will he try to somehow recreate ROTJ. Even beyond that I would have a lot more faith if this actually wasn't a trilogy. It feels like another movie would give more breathing room for a satisfying ending to this arc. While I loved TLJ I also thought it left things a bit too open with no real ending in sight.

But Johnson left NOTHING to build on. He killed off virtually everybody, then pissed on the ashes. . . 

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Snoke is dead, and the mystery of Rey's parents has basically been solved. Luke is also dead and isn't hanging around to train Rey or help with the fight.

Also, the Resistance was basically annihilated save for a handful of people. 

Luke got his hand lopped off, Han was frozen in Carbonite, The Rebellion was crushed, and The Empire had won...oh wait, that was Empire Strikes Back.  My bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Snoke is dead, and the mystery of Rey's parents has basically been solved. Luke is also dead and isn't hanging around to train Rey or help with the fight.

Also, the Resistance was basically annihilated save for a handful of people. 

Snoke is dead, meaning First Order leadership is open. Not like Snoke was some wonderfully built character. We had no idea what his goals even were.

Rey's parentage wasn't the only part of her story. Luke's training with Obi Wan and Yoda was short lived, and he had to mostly wing it. Rey is way closer to Vader/Anakin in power than Luke was and is more of a natural ability wise.

There is more Resistance alive than what we see in the film, and the point of the end was that there was still hope to rebuild.

Like I said there was plenty left to build on, just maybe not for one final film in a trilogy.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Luke got his hand lopped off, Han was frozen in Carbonite, The Rebellion was crushed, and The Empire had won...oh wait, that was Empire Strikes Back.  My bad.

Flimsy response. They didn't kill off the Emperor in the second movie. The Rebellion wasn't crushed. Their base on Hoth was destroyed and most of them evacuated. There was still a whole rebel fleet left by the end that they returned to. They were received a decisive blow, but they weren't driven to within an eyelash of annihilation. So yeah, your bad.