DVDVR Message Board

Who's more important for wrestling history in a positive way?

Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• John Cena
    • Mitsuharu Misawa
    • I don't know or it's a draw
  2. 2. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Goldberg
    • Kenta Kobashi
  3. 3. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Jushin Liger
    • Rey Mysterio
  4. 4. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Chris Jericho
    • Toshiaki Kawada
  5. 5. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• AJ Styles
    • Batista
  6. 6. Who is more important for pro wrestling history in a positive way?

• Daniel Bryan
    • Edge

Yeah, my main thought here is that it is way too early to make a call on Daniel Bryan in this regard. Perhaps in the future he'll be fine, perhaps he'll be very much not so, and given that these polls are focusing on the whole "positive" deal that feels like kinda a big deal.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, J.T. said:

I am afraid to vote for fear that this very organized looking poll is for someone's college thesis and I do not want to salt the ground with my horrible opinions.

Next time I would like to compare:

1)Ultimate Warrior vs Chris Jericho

2)Jun Akiyama vs Goldberg

3)Akira Taue vs Jeff Hardy

4)Jake Roberts vs Kurt Angle

5)Batista vs Edge

6)Randy Orton vs Toshiaki Kawada

What do you think?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, francescofuoco1998 said:

Next time I would like to compare:

1)Ultimate Warrior vs Chris Jericho

2)Jun Akiyama vs Goldberg

3)Akira Taue vs Jeff Hardy

4)Jake Roberts vs Kurt Angle

5)Batista vs Edge

6)Randy Orton vs Toshiaki Kawada

I did not expect to get called out, so here goes.

1) Definitely Chris Jericho as he has carried so many mid-cards that it is ridiculous.  I've never really cared for his main event / world title runs, but I have always found him enjoyable as a heel mid-card title holder, especially the whole Jericho vs. Mexico angle when he was the WCW Cruiserweight Champion.

2) Akiyama in a walk.  Dude has always performed at a high level and can still go with the best of them to this very day.  Goldberg was a phenom when he first started out, but he lost his sense of invincibility when The Streak ended..  Of course, you can't blame Goldberg for that shitty booking, though.

3) I love both guys equally for totally different reasons.  I'll give Jeff a slight edge for him being the straight man to his brother, Matt, at the start of the crazy Broken Hardys TNA angle.  He really showed something different and morphed into a credible actor as well as a worker.

4) Jake Roberts is the king of mat psychology and cuts promos like few others can.   I like Kurt because he's pretty much willing to do anything it takes to put on a good show, but he really does need to stay in his lane sometimes.  If he wrestled smarter, he wouldn't be so broken down right now, but at least his wounds weren't as self inflicted as Jakes.

5) I have to go with Edge because he carried an entire show on his back for as long as he could.  Batista was a henchman that got pushed to the main event.  Given his awkward promos early on, I think it's amazing that he's become such an effective movie actor  but in his high profile roles, he's a supporting actor and his strongest movie performances are in support roles.

6) Fuck Randy Orton.  Kawada is the fucking man.

Oh cool, I can squabble with my brother from different parents...

1)Ultimate Warrior vs Chris Jericho / Jericho and it isn't close. Chris Jericho has always been one of those guys who makes everyone around him better, (this goes back to something Raven told me when Jericho was first in WCW). Warrior couldn't make himself look good, let alone anyone else. 

2)Jun Akiyama vs Goldberg / Akiyama and again, it isn't really close. The dude is still performing on a high level and most importantly (to me), elevating those who work with him. It's all well and good to be pushed as the company flagship, but where the rubber meets the road is "are you good enough to create other stars.

3)Akira Taue vs Jeff Hardy / Okay, now we can start squabbling. Many years ago on the cesspool that was RSPW, OMEGA wrestling was being pushed due to the presence of the Hardys. I didn't care for them then and I don't care for them now. I have always enjoyed Taue's work and that he gets written off as the fourth in his group of four makes me sad. Here's a thought, when you and your compatriots are most certainly in the top-ten in the world, you're pretty damn awesome in your own right.

4)Jake Roberts vs Kurt Angle / Okay, the master of less is more vs. the master of get all your spots in. Surprise, surprise! I've enjoyed many, many Kurt Angle matches! Despite a tendency to try and get too much stuff in and being cursed with being a singularly goofy-looking fucker, Kurt can and has delivered lots of high-end matches. That said, I wouldn't trade them all for one Jake Roberts Mid-South promo. No one since Johnny Valentine projected the air of menace quite like Jake Roberts... Every word dripped venom, he wasn't coming to town to wrestle another athlete, he was coming to destroy another human being and woe to anyone that got in the way. Like they said about John Wick, "he's the guy that you sent to kill the Boogeyman", that was Jake Roberts.

5)Batista vs Edge / Okay, this is Playboy Buddy Rose and Billy Jack Haynes on a much bigger stage. Edge in a walk over Big Dave. 

6)Randy Orton vs Toshiaki Kawada / Once again, if I have to start a fed from scratch the first three guys I hire are Randy Orton, Randy Orton, and Randy Orton. Kawada does one thing very well, possibly as well as anyone ever has, but a motivated Randy Orton is Tanahashi-level talent, that is to say once in a generation. There is literally nothing that Orton can't do well, the fact that he frequently is given garbage to work with isn't really his fault. I do love me some Kawada, but the whole head-dropping stuff has gotten really uncomfortable to sit through since Misawa's death. Orton works smart and I don't recall him ever hurting anyone, and as I said, there's precious little he can't do well. 

He used to hurt himself quite frequently. Dislocated his shoulder punching the mat, that whole deal. 

1)Ultimate Warrior vs Chris Jericho- Which of these guys was the one-hit wonder flash in the pan wrestler who bombed as the top guy and ended WWF's first big run in the 1980s, only to become more important than guys like Ryback or Ahmed Johnson solely because he was the champ when you were six years old?

My choice: Not that guy. Chris Jericho in a romp.

2)Jun Akiyama vs Goldberg- Akiyama. Same token with Goldberg- a very huge flash in the pan, but a flash in the pan nonetheless. Akiyama's staying power takes it. 

3)Akira Taue vs Jeff Hardy- Taue. Jeff Hardy was good, and had some benefits- but there's more variations on Jeff Hardy. There's a number of very good, handsome high-fliers who'd set young girls' hearts aflutter and could get fans on their side easily. It'll be hard to see similar Taue's in comparison. 

4)Jake Roberts vs Kurt Angle- ....in a very, very close one: Angle. Yes, Angle's matches were bad influences and far worse than Jake Roberts ever could be, but it's countered by the fact that Kurt Angle destroyed the "if you're a serious amateur wrestler, you don't DARE sign with WWE" stigma in amateur wrestling. Without Angle, the rise of top amateurs agreeing to go to WWE would have never happened.

5)Batista vs Edge- Edge, just barely. Batista's crossover skills vs. Edge's harnessing the IWC is a close call. I'm going with the tiebreaker of "Batista's comeback died because the IWC wouldn't have it". 

6)Randy Orton vs Toshiaki Kawada- I'm going with OSJ here. Kawada's strengths are better than Orton's, but Orton's weakness (he doesn't ALWAYS try in the ring) is better than Kawada's weakness (the head drops)- especially since Orton is still a solid, safe worker when he's mailing it in.